HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Okay gang, we're officially hot! Just kidding but doesn't it feel great to beat Cornell up at Lynah?? I love ruining their weekends and tomorrow should be even better since Dartmouth lost to Colgate. They'll be in a great mood won't they?

This season is a train wreck by any measure but beating Cornell up there takes some of the pain away. I'm sure they were ready to run us out of the building but somehow we pulled it out. Alex Killorn is really starting to play up to his press clippings and I hope he and Danny Biega decide to stay for next season. I can imagine the Lightening will be calling on Killorn with his recent play.

Unfortunately, tonight's win means nothing if we don't beat Colgate tomorrow because they are only 1 point behind. I don't want us to finish dead last. Too painful.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Harvard's remaining schedule:
      @ Cornell - WIN
      @ Colgate -
      Brown -
      SLU -
      Clarkson -

If Harvard can go 3-1 or 2-1-1 to finish the year, then perhaps fans can optimistically hope for a first round upset, and then who knows.
      Updated your post.
      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
      Go Crimson!

Comment

The weekly ECAC playoff picture update. Harvard has my favorite matchup for them (and by my, I mean, the team I want us to play the most for my own reasons, though I think the series would be close, so other team's fans that run this board, don't get angry ) so it's incredibly unlikely it'll happen.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          The weekly ECAC playoff picture update. Harvard has my favorite matchup for them (and by my, I mean, the team I want us to play the most for my own reasons, though I think the series would be close, so other team's fans that run this board, don't get angry ) so it's incredibly unlikely it'll happen.
          I surely am not hoping for a "Colgate-Cornell rivalry series". Probably only Cornell fans are.

P.S. Who would have thought we'd be playing for a four-point weekend tonight, going into Friday's games.
          Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
            I surely am not hoping for a "Colgate-Cornell rivalry series". Probably only Cornell fans are.

P.S. Who would have thought we'd be playing for a four-point weekend tonight, going into Friday's games.
            I'd rather play a local rival in a matchup like that (5/12 or 6/11) than anyone else...anything can happen in a rivalry game and in a playoff season, plus less travel (look at the fight Clarkson gave SLU last year, or, dare I say it, the sweep Brown gave Harvard two years ago). Though I meant more generally every ECAC/hockey fan without a rooting interest for either team.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

If you've never been to a Harvard-Cornell game at Lynah as a Harvard fan, this is what it would be like.
              Go Crimson!

Comment

Solid win for Harvard last night and looks like Carrol saved the ship in the 3rd on some fairly tilted ice.

Playing at Meehan is like watching paint dry. Horrible lighting, no atmosphere - teams hate playing there because it is such a joyless experience.

Comment

Solid win for Harvard last night and looks like Carrol saved the ship in the 3rd on some fairly tilted ice.

Playing at Meehan is like watching paint dry. Horrible lighting, no atmosphere - teams hate playing there because it is such a joyless experience.
                  I wouldn't exactly call it "solid". Still, a win is a win. We couldn't get the puck out of our own zone in the third period but Carroll was a wall and the defensemen were able to clear many rebounds to the sides. Nobody should be surprised. The inability to clear our zone has been a glaring problem for years. Lately we've been able to score just enough to overcome our weaknesses and win the kind of games we lost earlier in the season.

Let's hope it continues. A couple of wins this weekend and we'll play a first round series at RPI or Quinnipiac instead of at Cornell, Princeton, Dartmouth or Clarkson. Big difference.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
                    I wouldn't exactly call it "solid". Still, a win is a win. We couldn't get the puck out of our own zone in the third period but Carroll was a wall and the defensemen were able to clear many rebounds to the sides. Nobody should be surprised. The inability to clear our zone has been a glaring problem for years. Lately we've been able to score just enough to overcome our weaknesses and win the kind of games we lost earlier in the season.

Let's hope it continues. A couple of wins this weekend and we'll play a first round series at RPI or Quinnipiac instead of at Cornell, Princeton, Dartmouth or Clarkson. Big difference.

GO CRIMSON!
                    Alonzo,

I love your optimism, but beggars can't be choosers. I would rather have seen the SOG totals inversed, but a win is a win.

Anyone notice how our PP has really picked up of late? Not sure what the changes are, but that could be big come playoff time.

Also, anyone else notice the season Danny Biega is putting up. First Team All ECAC in my book with some very solid offensive and defensive numbers.

Comment

Alonzo,

I love your optimism, but beggars can't be choosers. I would rather have seen the SOG totals inversed, but a win is a win.

Anyone notice how our PP has really picked up of late? Not sure what the changes are, but that could be big come playoff time.

Also, anyone else notice the season Danny Biega is putting up. First Team All ECAC in my book with some very solid offensive and defensive numbers.
                      All Team ECAC?! Isn't that kind of like a player from the Detriot Lions being invited to the Pro Bowl?! LOL. Just kidding, sort of.

Let's hope for a weekend sweep to close, yet another dismal regular season.

"Maybe" H could be spoiler post-season.

Comment

Word of warning- during most of Friday night's game (and a better part of Saturday's), on the WHRB low bandwidth stream will be men's basketball. So if you want to tune in to hockey online, you have to click the high bandwidth stream. It will be men's hockey on the actual radio if you tune in to 95.3.

Also, if the women's game goes into OT and pushes the men's game back either night, we'll probably start with basketball at 7 and keep it there until about 10 min. before the drop of the puck for the men's game.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
                          All Team ECAC?! Isn't that kind of like a player from the Detriot Lions being invited to the Pro Bowl?! LOL. Just kidding, sort of.

Let's hope for a weekend sweep to close, yet another dismal regular season.

"Maybe" H could be spoiler post-season.
                          Hey, stop picking on my Lions! Next year they'll be on the way up, like Harvard.

D Biega has been good this year and had some clutch moments ( 3 gwgs ). Some folks don't like all the penalties he takes but he plays more aggressively than our other dmen, and frequently gets put in take-a-penalty-or-else situations by them. He also doesn't have great foot speed and it's frustrating to watch him at times, but he works hard and he, for one, is strong on his skates. Honestly, I like him better than Alex, especially in our own end. He is one guy who has worked really hard since he's come to Harvard and he deserves some recognition for the season he's had.

Good to see Harvard saving some of its best hockey for the end of the season ( 3 w's in the last 4 ) and a weekend with two struggling visitors ( both with 3 losses in their last 4 ). Having momentum is crucial this time of the year, and we will be real spoilers if we ride it into the playoffs. I don't expect us to leapfrog Brown this weekend though with Colgate visiting them this Sat. Whoever draws us in Rd. # 1 will lose. That's my Rex Ryan Guarantee.

I was hoping that Girard might get some time this weekend with both Kyle and Ryan graduating this spring but it may not happen. Girard's only seen 69 mins this season and Teddy's going to have to get the goalie situation resolved quickly next fall.

Next season Teddy should have us back above .500 if we get the goalie position settled. There's some OK talent returning up front and the d should be improved. We should gain ground in the standings next season with other programs losing more talent than us.

Comment

Originally posted by CMKnight View Post

I was hoping that Girard might get some time this weekend with both Kyle and Ryan graduating this spring but it may not happen. Girard's only seen 69 mins this season and Teddy's going to have to get the goalie situation resolved quickly next fall.

Next season Teddy should have us back above .500 if we get the goalie position settled. There's some OK talent returning up front and the d should be improved. We should gain ground in the standings next season with other programs losing more talent than us.
                            Harvard has one of the top freshman goalies in the country coming in next year. I would be shocked if Michalek doesn't come in start as a freshman.

Comment

Today's version of If the ECAC playoffs started today. There'll be new playoff based stuff tonight and tomorrow as well (I'll see if I can beat Sully's post this year. Nothing felt worse than staying up until 2am last year working out all the tiebreakers only to see Brian had beat me to it by about 30 min.)

Off to write a draft for this "school" thing. See you all from the Bright at 6:45.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

Looks like I managed to beat Brian by about 3 seconds this year, haha. Now hopefully I didn't make any mistakes.

Anyway, here's the playoff picture for tomorrow. It's relatively simple for Harvard. Win or tie and they are 10th. Lose and they are 11th.
                                Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                                X