HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Look at this local feature on SLU hockey. Check out the segment of the Joe Marsh interview where he discusses players leaving college early. You might get a kick out of it.

Comment

The 2010-2011 roster is finally posted on gocrimson.com. We have 14 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3 goalies. My impression is that we are not very deep. Injuries could raise havoc as would defections of any kind. Hopefully we have some additional guys in the wings.

Any thoughts?

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Originally posted by ALONZO View Post
        The 2010-2011 roster is finally posted on gocrimson.com. We have 14 forwards, 8 defensemen and 3 goalies. My impression is that we are not very deep. Injuries could raise havoc as would defections of any kind. Hopefully we have some additional guys in the wings.

Any thoughts?

GO CRIMSON!
        Not really a thought but does anyone want to take a shot at line combos?

M. Biega, Fallstrom, Killorn
        Moriarty, Michaud, Morrison
        Del Mauro, Moore, McCollem
        Everson, Coassin, Greiner
        (Valek, Kroshus)

That's 4 solid lines. Really like my checking line. From a broadcaster's standpoint, we need to recruit less people with M names . Valek and Kroshus can easily fill in. Obviously things get dicey if injuries get deeper than two.

Huxley-D. Biega
        Grimshaw-Starrett
        Rempel- Fick/Ford/Caldwell

Alright, here's where I'd be nervous about depth. Not a ton of seasoned blue liners out there. Still, the first five have all seen at least some action in the past.

Richter
        Carroll
        Girard

Wonder what the plan is for the exhibition game. Does everyone get a period, do Ricks and Carroll split, or does just one of them get the full game? (My guess is some type of split, since it's a Monday game and then they have a Friday-Saturday series.)
        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          Not really a thought but does anyone want to take a shot at line combos?

M. Biega, Fallstrom, Killorn
          Moriarty, Michaud, Morrison
          Del Mauro, Moore, McCollem
          Everson, Coassin, Greiner
          (Valek, Kroshus)

That's 4 solid lines. Really like my checking line. From a broadcaster's standpoint, we need to recruit less people with M names . Valek and Kroshus can easily fill in. Obviously things get dicey if injuries get deeper than two.

Huxley-D. Biega
          Grimshaw-Starrett
          Rempel- Fick/Ford/Caldwell

Alright, here's where I'd be nervous about depth. Not a ton of seasoned blue liners out there. Still, the first five have all seen at least some action in the past.

Richter
          Carroll
          Girard

Wonder what the plan is for the exhibition game. Does everyone get a period, do Ricks and Carroll split, or does just one of them get the full game? (My guess is some type of split, since it's a Monday game and then they have a Friday-Saturday series.)
          My guess is that each of the three goalies will go a period against the Swedish Juniors. We have only three defensemen who have seen any significant action. Not sure how confident the coaches are with Starrett and Rempel. Possibly two or three of the freshmen defensemen could crack the lineup. I don't think anybody knows at this point.

In my opinion Valek will be a starter on the third or fourth line. We need a breakout season from our forwards. If that doesn't happen....forget it.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...ard_education/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

My guess is that each of the three goalies will go a period against the Swedish Juniors. We have only three defensemen who have seen any significant action. Not sure how confident the coaches are with Starrett and Rempel. Possibly two or three of the freshmen defensemen could crack the lineup. I don't think anybody knows at this point.

In my opinion Valek will be a starter on the third or fourth line. We need a breakout season from our forwards. If that doesn't happen....forget it.

GO CRIMSON!
              I may be wrong, but I believe Fick is a true freshman and Caldwell has recently been converted from a wing to a defenseman.

I highly doubt you would see Rempel paired either of these two. I think Huxley, Biega, and Grimshaw would all be separated - unless Donato is not going to play 3 lines evenly and double-shift a top heavy line such as a Biega / Grimshaw combo.

As far as the forwards, when you look at the upperclassmen, the only guys who aren't role / checking players are Mike Biega & Alex Killorn. If the sophomores (Fallstrom, Everson, Morrison) don't step up, we are going to have to win a lot of 2-1 & 1-0 games.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                I may be wrong, but I believe Fick is a true freshman and Caldwell has recently been converted from a wing to a defenseman.

I highly doubt you would see Rempel paired either of these two. I think Huxley, Biega, and Grimshaw would all be separated - unless Donato is not going to play 3 lines evenly and double-shift a top heavy line such as a Biega / Grimshaw combo.

As far as the forwards, when you look at the upperclassmen, the only guys who aren't role / checking players are Mike Biega & Alex Killorn. If the sophomores (Fallstrom, Everson, Morrison) don't step up, we are going to have to win a lot of 2-1 & 1-0 games.
                This may be the weakest group of defensemen Harvard has suited up in a long, long time. I'm not sure how we are going to win games 2-1 or 1-0 unless Richter and Carroll stand on their heads. And they may be forced to do so unless the forwards come back and help.

I'd like to see Everson step up his game. He was highly touted coming in and did almost nothing last year. Time for these kids to live up to their press clippings.

Speaking of press, did anyone see the article in the Boston Globe on Teddy? I found his comments about running a program to show that he did somewhat underestimate what he was getting into. It was refreshing to read about his 'education as a coach'.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  I'd like to see Everson step up his game. He was highly touted coming in and did almost nothing last year. Time for these kids to live up to their press clippings.
                  Maybe he'd have done something if Stephens hadn't injured Everson's ankle on an absolutely dirty late high hit (try to look through the USCHO pictures for the non-conference Dartmouth game, there's a nice shot of Everson's foot going 90 degrees in the wrong direction from the hit) and wasn't back in until...well, I think he got one game in Minnesota, and then was out again until late January beginning of February. (CH Stats has him missing 8 league games and a non-conference game, which agrees with my memory of the games he missed.) I know everyone is grumpy after two tough seasons, but let's not publicly call out kids when they don't deserve it...Marshall's injury affected the whole second half of his rookie campaign, and you cannot "live up to your press clippings" when that happens no matter who you are.
                  Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

By the way, more later, but Harvard landed a big fish in goalie Hichalek out of Loomis. A late bloomer, but arguably one of the best (maybe the best) goalie for his age in the US.

Comment

People really need to temper the expectations for our recruits. Yes, Marshall Everson is a good recruit. However, like most of our recruits, and most recruits at other schools, he is a good recruit based on the projection of his talent over 4 years. Look at BC- Nathan Gerbe was a pretty good recruit, but he had less than 0.5 points per game his freshman year. Fast forward a couple years, and he is the best player in the country and leads his team to a national championship. I expect Everson to have a good year, but I don't think we should expect too much from him and the sophmores. No doubt, a big step up should be demanded, but lets remember, this is a 4 year program, and one of the reasons we haven't been successful us because we have been hoping the freshman class will come in and save everybody. That isnt how national championship teams are built. In one of the earlier posts, somebody said that apart from killorn and biega, the upper classmen were just role players. I would have to disagree with that. Michaud, Mccollem, Kroshus all have ample talent, as evidenced by their careers before Harvard(and flashes when they have gotten opportunities here) (not even to mention Moriarty, who though not the mosttalented can be an effective offensive player), but them and other upperclassmen have been pushed aside to make room for younger players who are supposed to save the program. I will reiterate, not only does this not work on the ice (college hockey games and championships aren't won by freshman, even when there is talent, there is just too much inexperience to win), but it also doesn't work off the ice, as it introduces a poor team dynamic that isn't integrated, where players don't work their way into the program and leadership and chemistry most likely suffers because players come in and play while the upperclassmen who are supposed to be leading are sitting on the bench or in the stands. Hard to be a leader when you have legitimacy taken away by the coach. Until Donato figures this out, we will see a few bad years followed by 1 or 2 good years, when his favorites reach their last years. Maybe it will work, but it sure makes for some lean years in the meantime.

I feel like Ive been ranting, but to finish, yes I expect more from Everson this year, but its hard to be disappointed with him last year. He was a freshman out of high school hockey, stepping into an older, very competitive and high level of hockey. However, he does have the talent (like others), to have good CAREERS at Harvard, but that is a four year process where hopefully our players are actually developed for once and don't get marginalized as they move up classes.

Comment

Originally posted by sam12 View Post
                        People really need to temper the expectations for our recruits. Yes, Marshall Everson is a good recruit. However, like most of our recruits, and most recruits at other schools, he is a good recruit based on the projection of his talent over 4 years. Look at BC- Nathan Gerbe was a pretty good recruit, but he had less than 0.5 points per game his freshman year. Fast forward a couple years, and he is the best player in the country and leads his team to a national championship. I expect Everson to have a good year, but I don't think we should expect too much from him and the sophmores. No doubt, a big step up should be demanded, but lets remember, this is a 4 year program, and one of the reasons we haven't been successful us because we have been hoping the freshman class will come in and save everybody. That isnt how national championship teams are built. In one of the earlier posts, somebody said that apart from killorn and biega, the upper classmen were just role players. I would have to disagree with that. Michaud, Mccollem, Kroshus all have ample talent, as evidenced by their careers before Harvard(and flashes when they have gotten opportunities here) (not even to mention Moriarty, who though not the mosttalented can be an effective offensive player), but them and other upperclassmen have been pushed aside to make room for younger players who are supposed to save the program. I will reiterate, not only does this not work on the ice (college hockey games and championships aren't won by freshman, even when there is talent, there is just too much inexperience to win), but it also doesn't work off the ice, as it introduces a poor team dynamic that isn't integrated, where players don't work their way into the program and leadership and chemistry most likely suffers because players come in and play while the upperclassmen who are supposed to be leading are sitting on the bench or in the stands. Hard to be a leader when you have legitimacy taken away by the coach. Until Donato figures this out, we will see a few bad years followed by 1 or 2 good years, when his favorites reach their last years. Maybe it will work, but it sure makes for some lean years in the meantime.

I feel like Ive been ranting, but to finish, yes I expect more from Everson this year, but its hard to be disappointed with him last year. He was a freshman out of high school hockey, stepping into an older, very competitive and high level of hockey. However, he does have the talent (like others), to have good CAREERS at Harvard, but that is a four year process where hopefully our players are actually developed for once and don't get marginalized as they move up classes.
                        No freshmen forwards will push aside our returning players this season. We simply don't have any new bodies. Aside from Rogers and LeBlanc we have the same guys up front we had last year....all with a year's exposure, or additional exposure, to college hockey. McCollem was out most of last season and, after he came back, was not the player we had expected. Everson and others were injured and missed part of the season as well.

Hopefully everybody is healthy and ready to go going into this season. At the very least the team will have more maturity and be better prepared for the rigors of the ECAC. Notable also...we are not starting with five games on the road. We supporters have a right to anticipate something better than last year. How much better remains to be seen.

GO CRIMSON!

Comment

Originally posted by sam12 View Post
                          I couldn't disagree more with this. If you look at the past National champions, you will find all of them had stud freshman and sophmores who carried them to the promise land who won't be 4 year players (many will be 2 year players).

Our upper classmen are not elite. This is not meant as a disparaging remark, but it is what it is. That is why a Leblanc (no Paul Kariya by the way) can come in as a freshman and lead the team in scoring.

Injuries or no injuries, we have little proven scoring ability in our upper classmen. I'm hoping for some breakut seasons, but candidly, there isn't a lot of hope for goals given what I have seen out of them for the past 2-3 seasons.

The best players play. Doesn't matter if 8 freshman are on the ice every night or none. The fact that as many freshman played last year means that they out-competed and won the spots against their older peers. It's that simple and has nothing to do with hirearchy or chemistry. Just because someone has been at Harvard for a couple of years doesn't mean they get to play over someone younger who is better. This doesn't work in life, let alone sports.

Comment

No freshmen forwards will push aside our returning players this season. We simply don't have any new bodies. Aside from Rogers and LeBlanc we have the same guys up front we had last year....all with a year's exposure, or additional exposure, to college hockey. McCollem was out most of last season and, after he came back, was not the player we had expected. Everson and others were injured and missed part of the season as well.

GO CRIMSON!
                            Agreed (because we don't have any )! Calof would have been one of the top 12 forwards, but that didn't work out.

Comment

New recruit for 2012: http://www.salemnews.com/sports/x132...or-Him-Crimson

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                Agreed (because we don't have any )! Calof would have been one of the top 12 forwards, but that didn't work out.
                                Why didn't it work out?

Comment

Working...
                                X