Nescac 10 - 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nescac 10 - 11

This is the third year for this thread...let's make it as informative as it has been in the past. Here's the link to last year's thread.

Re: Nescac 10 - 11

Any news or updates? Even an interesting prediction? Back to school soon...

Comment

Bowdoin College has hired UMD Product Jessica Koizumi to assist Marissa O'Neil.
      The WCHA Dynasty
      Wisconsin
      National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
      MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
      National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
      MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
      National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
      MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Former Mule to lead Women for Hockey USA....

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...U_02&id=290316

Comment

Williams has announced the appointment of Joey Lye '09 as interim head women's ice hockey coach:
          http://williams.prestosports.com/spo...n-s_ice_hockey
          Congratulations Joey and best of luck to the Ephs in the coming season!

Comment

Any one want to take a pass at a Nescac pre-season poll?

Comment

1) Amherst-big loss to graduation (especially on the blueline) but they have stars, a solid team and Coach Plumer is a great recruiter; #1 until proven otherwise; tough early season trip to Rochester
              2) Middlebury-always ready to move up; skated a very young team last season; transfer goalie from Dawson College; I look for them to get bigger
              3) Bowdoin-new coach; goaltending seemed to come together toward the end of last season; need some help on the blueline; return their top 5 scorers; could be a sleeper
              4) Hamilton-just a hunch; return a .943 in conference goalie
              5) Trinity-big pads to fill in the net, but return their top 10 scorers
              6) Williams-I thought O'Neil (now departed) deserved to be coach of the year for what she got out of this team last season
              7) Conn-hear they have a good goalie coming in
              8) Colby
              9) Wesleyan

Comment

Re: Nescac 10 - 11-Pre season predictions

1. Amherst
                2. Trinity
                3. Middlebury
                4. Bowdoin
                5. Hamilton
                6. Williams
                7. Colby
                8. Conn College
                9. Wesleyan

Comment

1) Amherst - Even with losing some strong players to graduation, they have brought in strong recruits every year for the last 4 years and no reason to think they have not filled the holes from graduation. They know how to win the big games and until proven otherwise they are not only the top team in NESCAC, but also in the country.

2) Middlebury - I agree with obserbear, they were a young team last year and matured as the year went on. I look for last year's Freshman and Sophmores to play bigger roles on the team this year. They really only lost one impact player.

3) Trinity - I understand they have brought in a strong goalie, but she has huge shoes to fill. Coach McPhee got the most out of his team last year, and will need to do the same this year to stay at the top half of NESCAC, and I believe he will do so.

4) Bowdoin - Had a strong finish last year, and with Coach O'Neil coming back to her alma mater after doing such a good job last year at WIlliams, I would not be surprised to see Bowdoin end up higher that where I am predicting.

5) Hamilton - We saw their goalie single handedly steal some games last year and she is capable of doing that, but they need help on the blue line to eliminate the high # of shots by the top tier teams.

6) Conn College

7) Williams

8) Colby

9) Wesleyan

Tough for me to determine where these last 4 teams will finish after last year, (although Colby pulled off the upset of the year beating Amherst 3-2), so this will be a crap shoot as to how these last 4 teams will do this year.

IMHO, this still seems to be the top conference in D-III Women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by NHDad View Post
                    Any one want to take a pass at a Nescac pre-season poll?
                    Come on NHDad, this was your idea!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                      Come on NHDad, this was your idea!
                      I've always fancied myself as more of a facilitator. Besides, I'm waiting for Phil D. Stands to chime in....he's way more entertaining than I.

Comment

hi all. dont usually post as i prefer to stay out of all hubbub, but came out of hiding because im hoping someone may have more info for me. btd shows amherst having only 5 new faces, but i heard through the grapevine theyll be carrying 7, with rumors of a transfer. anyone know who's missing??

Comment

since i'm here (and kind of changed the subject) i figure i owe this thread a post relevant to the original topic.

i think amherst has what it takes to be just as good as they were last year, if not better.

yes, they lost a lot in last years senior class. they were the first to really bring a championship mentality (i remember reading somewhere that amherst had never won a single playoff game prior to their freshman year, when they made it to the final four )

but, plumer has done a phenomenal job not only in how/who he recruits, but in getting all his new faces on board the culture train, and fast. if the older members of the squad help to incorporate the new players this year i can see them being a real force. add to that hu's emergence last year and the huge senior class theyre carrying and you now have several reasons to stack your cards on their side of the table. Im also on team-bowdoin-resurgence. Oneil seems up to snuff, and they gave amherst a helluva match up last year in the nezcack playoffs. ill definitely be staying tuned

Comment

Originally posted by NezCack View Post
                            hi all. dont usually post as i prefer to stay out of all hubbub, but came out of hiding because im hoping someone may have more info for me. btd shows amherst having only 5 new faces, but i heard through the grapevine theyll be carrying 7, with rumors of a transfer. anyone know who's missing??
                            I did hear the number 7 and something about a DI transfer, but I do not have any names. They must all be on campus and somebody should be able to fill us in?
                            Come on Phil...you owe us a pre-season pick or two!

Comment

OK, here is my preseason shot. I limit my thoughts based on returning players, since the impact of freshmen could sway any or all of these picks dramatically. Also, I think that Colby, Weslyan and Conn College will need significant freshmen upgrades to compete, and therefore I will not address those teams here.

1. Amherst - Three big names graduate, so what? This team is still the best in show. Losing Dennett, Dier and McGann merely means that they aren't as deep as last year, and maybe Plumer will have to think more about which line he puts out instead of rolling his deep bench like last year. Hu is a gamer and has proved that on the rare occasions where Amherst is outplayed, she can be a difference maker.

2. Middlebury - Still looking for size and physical strength to match their speed and ability. As recently as 4 years ago this team regularly outplayed their ranked opponents. Recently, virtually all of their success against ranked opponents has depended on Lani Wright or Lexi Bloom to be the difference. Midd's graduation losses probably the least significant among the contenders. Wright was great last year, but Bloom has done it before and should do it again.

3. Bowdoin - Also had minimal loss of firepower from a team that was within one wiffed shot of taking Amherst down in the NESCAC semi's. Lessard can steal games, and their top two lines will give everyone a run for their money. Also, O'Neill coming home to coach should elevate the intangibles.

4. Trinity - Their only impact loss is Izzy. Komerek, McGaw and Weiss all have All-American credentials, but you don't win in this league without stellar goaltending, and I'm hard pressed to imagine that anyone can fill Izzy's shoes.

5. Hamilton - Minimal losses to graduation. Look for Miguel to go out in a blaze of glory. Hazlett can be great, but must overcome occasional lapses that stung her last year.

6. Williams - Ephs graduate most of their scoring and all of their goaltending. Enough said. One or more of the bottom 3 teams likely to leap frog this spot.

As I said earlier, this is based on returning players only. We saw what Amherst's freshmen did three years ago, and any one of these teams could rise to the top with a solid group of recruits.

Comment

Working...
                              X