Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Tourney on the Move

http://www.projo.com/college/content...3.2ca7b48.html

"Another hockey event that may become available is the Hockey East tournament. The league has played its championship round (semifinals and finals) at the Boston Garden and TD Garden since 1991 but is reportedly weighing a move to other venues. Last year’s semifinals and final both attracted 12,000 fans, about 5,000 short of a sellout. A similar crowd would sell out the Dunk. The Providence Civic Center hosted the first two Hockey East tournaments, in 1985 and ’86."

Personally wouldn't like it because it'll cost more to get to in dollars and time, don't really think the tourney needs a shake up... curious to see what others think.
    Arenas Attended
    Matthews Arena
    Agganis Arena
    Tsongas Arena
    Lawler Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Mullins Center
    TD Banknorth Garden
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Alfond Arena
    Compton Family Ice Arena

Re: Hockey East Tourney on the Move

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
    A similar crowd would sell out the Dunk.
    Except they wouldn't get anything close to a similar crowd in Providence. Stupid idea. Keep it at the Garden. By far the best place for it.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

The article states, 'the league is...reportedly weighing a move.' The word 'reportedly' suggests that this has been news elsewhere, but I'm learning of it just now.
      Chris V
      Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        Except they wouldn't get anything close to a similar crowd in Providence. Stupid idea. Keep it at the Garden. By far the best place for it.
        I concur.

The only reason to move it, IMHO, is if it would be much cheaper to host somewhere else, meaning a much cheaper ticket price (I'm thinking 30-50% reduction). I doubt that would happen in Providence.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

agree with all 3 points............if UNH would PLEASE come back add 3000, so, subtract UVM and add UNH

Comment

Agreed. Hard to imagine this being played anywhere other than the Garden. I like Providence... wish it would host a regional more often. But don't think the tourney should be moving there.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I'm against anything that highlights that laughable state of PC athletics.

We are not happy.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Bad idea. No reason to give Providence College an unfair advantage. LOL.

Actually, considering how much fun I had at the 2000 Frozen Four, I'm all for it.

Comment

Hmm...

All teams but one are North of Boston (Amherst is essentially West but just a little north).

Move the tournament as far south in the conference as we can. Add to that a flat arena with poor hockey site lines. Seems like a great idea... That should pull all sorts of extra fans. The 5 pm Friday game will be amazing. If we are lucky the Garden will get somebody new for the vacated weekend so the tournament can't move back...

Hey why don't they evaluate that dump in Worchester...
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Doesn't make sense especially considering that 4 of the schools in the conference have easy access to the garden via public transit. Hell even from Maine ain't to bad if you take the Amtrak. Providence would be good for a regional though. Alot better than Worcester.

Comment

Albany is available now.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Maybe they are considering Manchester and not Providence. Would not be surprised if they could make more money there. It is for 3 of the schools closer and actually just as close for Lowell and Merrimack as well. Not much different for UMass-Amherst and only 1 hour away for the Boston schools and only an hour more for the lone PC fan or two. This may be what they have in mind. I actually would not mind seeing a 5 year Boston 3 year Manchester 2 year Providence rotation every 10 years. So every other year in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          Maybe they are considering Manchester and not Providence. Would not be surprised if they could make more money there. It is for 3 of the schools closer and actually just as close for Lowell and Merrimack as well. Not much different for UMass-Amherst and only 1 hour away for the Boston schools and only an hour more for the lone PC fan or two. This may be what they have in mind. I actually would not mind seeing a 5 year Boston 3 year Manchester 2 year Providence rotation every 10 years. So every other year in Boston.
                          Two things cannot be discounted.

1. Transportation.

BC. Drive to Manch. Easy trip to Garden on T. Almost always at the Garden.

BU. See BC. Almost always at the Garden.

NU. See BC. Appearances are rare but they bring good crowds when they make it and they aren't as terribly as they used to be which makes them more likely to get here (combined with Maine's demise).

These three schools right there make it tough to move the thing.

Lowell ... commuter rail accessibility to Boston if they even make the Garden, which is rare. Gotta drive to other locations. Still a small school that rarely gets here anyway.

Merrimack... who cares, they aren't making the Garden and they're a tiny school anway.

UNH... You can take the Downeaster in to Boston from campus. Closer drive to Manchester though so I'd expect a bit bigger of a UNH fanbase in Manchester. Almost always at the Garden but Umiliations in the 1st round aren't helping this lately.

Mainuhs... they usually leave town for the weekend for this... would it change if moved closer? Downeaster from Portland to Boston is nice. Shorter drive in their pickups to Manchester though. Almost always at the Garden but Timmay Time has made them less of a factor.

UMass... total wash, drive for both. Boston more fun to stay in for the weekend.

PC... ok I needed a laugh.

UVM... about a 50/50 shot to make the Garden. See UMass.

2. Boston vs. Manchester for out of town weekend guests. I'm not saying anything about Manchester. But staying over for a night in either location for Mainuhs or Zoomass fans (or the Elephant Walkers) or any long distance fans of any program is a lot more interesting if you can spend the weekend in Boston.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

There's no way Providence would sell out the Hockey East tournament. If they're looking for a smaller venue, try Conte or Agganis. Have to keep it in Boston though. BC and BU are always in it and their students and alums make up a ton of the crowd.
                            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                            -
                            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Having the tourney at the Garden is also a selling point to recruits. It's nice to be able to tell a player that they host their conference tourney every year at an NHL arena.

Comment

Working...
                              X