Princeton Tigers 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton Tigers 2010-11

Time to forget about the implosion that was 2009-10, and look forward to next season. Princeton has announced an incoming class of 10 players here: 6 forwards, 3 defenders, and 1 goaltender replace 9 graduating seniors (+1 team growth). I haven't done a detailed comparative analysis, but the class looks physically big, with 6 of 10 over 6' tall. Defenseman Jeremy Goodman is 6'5"/220!

In terms of replacing Zane, both Alan Reynolds and Mark Condon stepped up and did a good job when they were needed at various occasions last year, and incoming freshman Sean Bonar had a .91 save percentage last year in juniors. I'm pretty confident that goaltending won't be a major issue for the team.

Being unable to score goals and having a weak defense, both as a result of there being many injuries, was the biggest problem, in my opinion. There's no way to tell if this year will be better in that respect; however, the size and nature of this recruiting class seems like it can address these weaknesses, so I'm confident about this year.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any surprises on the schedule this season.
    MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
    - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
    "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
    -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Re: Princeton Tigers 2010-11

As long as you have Guy leading your ship, you will always be winners. He is a Great coach!
    Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Hey Princeton folk,

Since your schedule just came out I wanna ask you this: is there any chance that your league hockey game against Dartmouth will be moved to 7 pm from current time of 4 pm?

There is a football game (against Dartmouth, coincidentally) that kicks off at 1 pm. It's gonna be awfully hard to make the puck drop on time after football...

I plan on completing my tour of all ECAC arenas that day, so I will still go, but a more casual might not. Seems like your school will lose some money with this kind of scheduling...
      Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
      University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Happens all the time. I doubt they'll change it. My habit was always to leave after the football game to catch 2 periods of hockey in those situations.

It's a shame you're visiting Baker for the first time on that particular day. It will probably be pretty empty and cavernous, and it will be much lacking in spirit without the Band there as well though I imagine you've seen/heard them before.
        MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."

Comment

I think I've seen the Princeton Band in Hanover. That was a while ago. I don't remember them being as obnoxious as Cornell...

If I make it there early enough on Friday, I may stop by Hobey Baker and cheer against Harvard... The band will be there for that, right?

Sucks about the timing of Saturday games... If the football game isn't interesting, I may leave it early...

This will be my first visit to Princeton since my days of visiting colleges before applying. I don't recall much about campus except that it was raining and the place looked very gloomy.
          Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
          University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Just a few notes... the Dartmouth game time won't change. Regardless of football, those Saturday 4 pm starts are pretty strong for attendance. I also can't imagine the amount of tickets sold would drive the decision. We'd only be talking a few hundred seats, if that much. Plus I think the casual fan is more likely to walk over and catch some of football and some of hockey, than all of football, wait two hours, then go to hockey. Either way, that will be a 4 pm game.

As for the team... look for a lot of speed. Just need to figure out who will score goals for the team. I'm looking to see the rising senior class really step up, especially the forwards. Lohry, Kramer, Arhontas, etc., have showed they can be big time players at times. Now it's time to put it all together.

In goal, I think we'll see Condon or Bonar become the go-to guy. Either way it will be a new look because none of the three have any extensive college experience.

Comment

Agreed about Lohry, Kramer, Arhontas, et al. As much as last season blew, I think it gave all rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors a lot of invaluable playing experience. Same goes for the defense; they should be stellar this year. Now if they could just get that little piece of rubber between those pipes...

Once things get settled in the season, I think we'll see Condon starting most of the season, with Reynolds playing in relief. After the turn of the new year, we'll probably see Bonar get some playing time once in a while too. Surprisingly, I'm actually pretty optimistic about the goaltending situation.
              MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

Comment

Originally posted by PUBand09 View Post
                Agreed about Lohry, Kramer, Arhontas, et al. As much as last season blew, I think it gave all rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors a lot of invaluable playing experience. Same goes for the defense; they should be stellar this year. Now if they could just get that little piece of rubber between those pipes...

Once things get settled in the season, I think we'll see Condon starting most of the season, with Reynolds playing in relief. After the turn of the new year, we'll probably see Bonar get some playing time once in a while too. Surprisingly, I'm actually pretty optimistic about the goaltending situation.
                I totally agree. I like the incoming freshman class, good crop, nice size players. Really like what I see in 2011. Another NHL draft and he's a sniper! Princeton is recruiting well.

Comment

Which one is a draftee? I just read through all their bios on GoPrincetonTigers, and it didn't mention the NHL in any of them that I saw.
                  MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

Comment

Originally posted by PUBand09 View Post
                    Which one is a draftee? I just read through all their bios on GoPrincetonTigers, and it didn't mention the NHL in any of them that I saw.
                    Hyman ('12 recruit) from Hamilton of the CCHL.

Comment

Ah. Not 'til next year. Where did you guys read about the '12 recruits?
                      MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

Comment

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...hw&output=html

All recruiting info at this site... You won't hear anything from the school though until they have gone through admissions. These are all verbal commitments.

Comment

Hockey Future has the kid ranked as a 7.5 which puts him as one Panthers top forward prospects
                          http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/6141

nice pick up.

Comment

Tom Reale's Princeton preview on the RPI blog "Without a Peer" http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/10/...princeton.html.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                            X