PDA

View Full Version : 2012 & 2013 Frozen Fours Awarded to Lake Placid

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PuckVoice
07-16-2010, 11:49 AM
NCAA Awards Lake Placid the 2012 and 2013

Division III Ice Hockey Championships

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. --- The NCAA Division III menís ice hockey committee recently announced that Lake Placid, N.Y. will host both the 2012 and 2013 Division III menís ice hockey national championships. The New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) and State University of New York College at Plattsburgh (SUNY Plattsburgh) are the co-hosts of the two tournaments.

ďItís always exciting to have great hockey in a legendary hockey town,Ē remarked ORDA president/CEO Ted Blazer. ďORDA and Lake Placid appreciate the opportunity to host this event and looks forward to itís arrival with anticipation.

This year, the nationís top four teams will vie for the national crown at Ridder Arena on the campus of the University of Minnesota before returning to the famed 1980 Herb Brooks Olympic arena, which played host to the last three national championships, teaming with SUNY Plattsburgh to co-host the past two.

"We're thrilled that Lake Placid has the championship again, ORDA has a track record of hosting big events. The championship has seen attendance records broken during the three-year run (from 2008 to 2010),Ē added SUNY Plattsburgh athletic director Bruce Delventhal. ďIt's been a success from a budget perspective and the fan experience has been great. Plus, the feedback from the team participants has been positive."

The championship weekends in Lake Placid will feature two semi-final games, on the first day, followed by the championship match-up on the second day. Last year, St. Norbert College, Oswego State, Norwich University and SUNY Plattsburgh vied for the Division III menís ice hockey national championship crown. Norwich University skated away with the title, beating St. Norbert College 2-1 in what was the longest game in NCAA Division III tournament history, 99 minutes, 29 seconds.

For more information about ORDA and the Olympic venues, log on to www.whitefacelakeplacid.com, and for more information on Plattsburgh State, visit www.plattsburgh.edu.

PrezdeJohnson09
07-16-2010, 11:57 AM
NCAA Awards Lake Placid the 2012 and 2013

Division III Ice Hockey Championships

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. --- The NCAA Division III men’s ice hockey committee recently announced that Lake Placid, N.Y. will host both the 2012 and 2013 Division III men’s ice hockey national championships. The New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) and State University of New York College at Plattsburgh (SUNY Plattsburgh) are the co-hosts of the two tournaments.

“It’s always exciting to have great hockey in a legendary hockey town,” remarked ORDA president/CEO Ted Blazer. “ORDA and Lake Placid appreciate the opportunity to host this event and looks forward to it’s arrival with anticipation.

This year, the nation’s top four teams will vie for the national crown at Ridder Arena on the campus of the University of Minnesota before returning to the famed 1980 Herb Brooks Olympic arena, which played host to the last three national championships, teaming with SUNY Plattsburgh to co-host the past two.

"We're thrilled that Lake Placid has the championship again, ORDA has a track record of hosting big events. The championship has seen attendance records broken during the three-year run (from 2008 to 2010),” added SUNY Plattsburgh athletic director Bruce Delventhal. “It's been a success from a budget perspective and the fan experience has been great. Plus, the feedback from the team participants has been positive."

The championship weekends in Lake Placid will feature two semi-final games, on the first day, followed by the championship match-up on the second day. Last year, St. Norbert College, Oswego State, Norwich University and SUNY Plattsburgh vied for the Division III men’s ice hockey national championship crown. Norwich University skated away with the title, beating St. Norbert College 2-1 in what was the longest game in NCAA Division III tournament history, 99 minutes, 29 seconds.

For more information about ORDA and the Olympic venues, log on to www.whitefacelakeplacid.com, and for more information on Plattsburgh State, visit www.plattsburgh.edu.

I think this was already announced but thanks for the refresher!:cool: ;)

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=90845

norm1909
07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Refresher (http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=4377906&postcount=5) ;)

Henry
07-16-2010, 05:22 PM
They should leave it there permanently. It's the perfect size and location for D III.:)

norm1909
07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
They should leave it there permanently. It's the perfect size and location for D III.:)

I agree, at least for years the East hosting. :cool: Saves planning, wondering and offers a historic location fully able to accommodate the "crowds".

and of course it is only about 45 miles from my house

UCBadger
07-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Refresher (http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=4377906&postcount=5) ;)Did you mean to put this in the "Ways to Know You're a Division III Fan..." thread?

And.....are we invited to your house?

norm1909
07-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Did you mean to put this in the "Ways to Know You're a Division III Fan..." thread?

And.....are we invited to your house?

Actually, it was a shot at the fact that NCAA Division III doesn't have a "Frozen Four" (or Captain's Practices).

snc1
07-17-2010, 12:09 PM
still is and always will be a pain in the ash fo get to from the "west"

Birdwatcher
07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
still is and always will be a pain in the ash fo get to from the "west"

I still don't get the complaining. Transportation and roads have definately improved over the last 30 years. In 1980 thousands of athletes made it to Lake Placid from all over the world. Granted, the first couple of days were a mess, but once worked out, it was fine. Albany airport is only a little over 2 hours from Lake Placid and BTV is a bout an hour and one half using the Cumberland head Ferry. The main highways into Lake Placid, Rtes 73 and 86 are well maintained highways. Rte 73 connects to Interstate 87 and Rte 86 connects to Rte 3 and Rte 9N that in turn connect to several other rtes.

PSUChamps2001
07-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Boy it seems funny they can hold worldwide Olympics and other national events there yet its so hard to get to.....you know when its going to be, make plans....its a simple concept

Birdwatcher
07-17-2010, 01:19 PM
As a matter of fact, click on this link. I have used Mapquest for you. Looks pretty EASY to me. Just follow the directions. ALL MAIN ROADS!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=De+Pere&1s=WI&1a=100+Grant+St+%23+54115&1z=54115-2002&1y=US&1l=44.445023&1g=-88.065268&1v=ADDRESS&2c=Lake+Placid&2s=NY&2a=2634+Main+St&2z=12946-3648&2y=US&2l=44.28407&2g=-73.98437&2v=ADDRESS

The HARDEST part appears to be in the WEST, as you leave the St. Norbert Campus! (That was used as a western starting point for obvious reasons)

norm1909
07-17-2010, 01:20 PM
USAir lists a roundtrip ticket from MSP (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) to PBG (Plattsburgh) for $563 in mid-March, less than $100 more than MSP to ALB (Albany, NY) or MSP to BTV (Burlington).

MW4Bucky&SNC
07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
It's obviously not that you can't get there, but it's not a fun trip from Wisconsin. Trust me.

I guess if the East wants to make it their permanent host spot 2/3 of the time then so be it. Once you get there the venue is perfect for it, but when it is always there it kind of takes away from how special of a place it is IMHO. I am fine with the 2 for 1 thing between the regions because of the team ratios, but for those who don't get it or complain about Eastern Bias (which I'm pleasantly surpised hasn't permiated this thread yet) I hope to heck those folks get their butts to Ridder this March and make sure the attendance is where it needs to be.

NUProf
07-19-2010, 03:46 PM
It's obviously not that you can't get there, but it's not a fun trip from Wisconsin. Trust me.

Unless you live near Boston, the trip from Eastern DIII hockey land to your area isn't all that easy either. Whether go to BTV or from BTV, a round trip involves inconvenient connections and commuter airlines. Lake Placid is no more inaccessible than Northfield or Middlebury. There is a commutative property involved here. If it's tough for you to get to us, it's tough for us to get to you. There are more of us than there are of you. It does not mean that the Whatever the NCAA Wishes to Call It should not be in your area. It should - 2/3 of the time here, 1/3 of the time there.

norm1909
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Unless you live near Boston, the trip from Eastern DIII hockey land to your area isn't all that easy either. Whether go to BTV or from BTV, a round trip involves inconvenient connections and commuter airlines. Lake Placid is no more inaccessible than Northfield or Middlebury. There is a commutative property involved here. If it's tough for you to get to us, it's tough for us to get to you. There are more of us than there are of you. It does not mean that the Whatever the NCAA Wishes to Call It should not be in your area. It should - 2/3 of the time here, 1/3 of the time there.

And oddly enough, while you can fly non-stop between Plattsburgh, NY and Boston, you can't fly non-stop between Burlington, VT and Boston. :confused:

PSUChamps2001
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I find it funny that the average distance between SNC and their NCHA opponents is 238 miles. Almost double of what it is from Albany and Burlington Vt to Lake Placid. Heck Syracuse is only 195 miles away. Even NYC is only 50 miles more then the average....all this complaining about driving...don't you do it enough??

From Albany....I-87N to Rt 9 to Rt 73
From Burlington....Port Kent Ferry to Rt 9, to Rt 9N, to Rt 73....

I'm not seeing how this is hard...what...3 or 4 roads is tough???? :confused:

Maybe you should all start planning on a bus picking you up at the airport in Burlington or Albany and just take you to Lake Placid...I'd hate for anyone to get confused with all the rights and lefts in route to Lake Placid...

I know my family is planning on coming out to Ridder this year, if Plattsburgh is in or not. We plan on doing some things in the area besides just the games. And yes, that includes things 1, 2, 3 hours away from Ridder arena...so we will have to....*gulp* drive a little bit.... :eek: :eek:

Matthew Webb
07-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Lake Placid is not hard to get to. Worst case, were one to want to save money you fly into Rochester and drive five hours or whatever it is. Fly anywhere else and it costs more but the drive is shorter.

That's not so bad for a once a year event that you can turn into a mini-vacation. Plus it's a nice drive.

I see no issue with it.

NUProf
07-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Lake Placid is not hard to get to. Worst case, were one to want to save money you fly into Rochester and drive five hours or whatever it is. Fly anywhere else and it costs more but the drive is shorter.

That's not so bad for a once a year event that you can turn into a mini-vacation. Plus it's a nice drive.

I see no issue with it.

Cheaper yet, fly to BOS - more driving, but a lot cheaper

Birdwatcher
07-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Cheaper yet, fly to BOS - more driving, but a lot cheaper

These estimates are from mapquest.

Rochester, NY to Olympic Center, Lake Placid, NY
Total Travel Estimate: 5 hours 14 minutes / 275.53 miles

Boston, Ma to Olympic Center, Lake Placid, NY
Total Travel Estimate: 5 hours 31 minutes / 282.58 miles

joecct
07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
And oddly enough, while you can fly non-stop between Plattsburgh, NY and Boston, you can't fly non-stop between Burlington, VT and Boston. :confused:The North Pole gets in the way.