Frozen Four 2013, Pittsburgh, 2014, Philadelphia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frozen Four 2013, Pittsburgh, 2014, Philadelphia

I got engaged in Pittsburgh. So, it will be cool to go back there and see some college hockey.

As for being in the same state two years in a row, people do realize that Pittsburgh and Philly are pretty darn far apart? And not just in distance.

As for the potential hotel complex on the arena site in Philly, if it is built, you know the NCAA will snap up all the rooms and make it the official host hotel housing all the teams, press/media, and officials. So, chances us fans get any rooms will be slim to none.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
      Also will be interesting to see what the MLB schedule will be like that year...
      Bring tInvasion to a Phillies game? Not a bad idea.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Bring tInvasion to a Phillies game? Not a bad idea.
        The Philadelphia Invasion: BYOB

Bring your own batteries
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by JHG722 View Post
          Clowns aside, I can't explain how exciting this is. It would be absolutely unreal to see BU play in the FF at home. At the very least, it'll be amazing to see college hockey in Philly, and show why it's unfathomable that there is no college hockey here.
          Blame Penn. Penn SUCKS. (Man, I don't get to break that one out often on USCHO.)

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
          Yeah, I guess to anyone back east, Michigan and Minnesota are "out west." For youse guys, it's all "rectangle states" and "flyover states" until Cali.

Speaking of which, how long until the west coast gets to host? San Fran makes as much sense as Tampa.
          While I do often joke about flyover states, Minnesota is clearly western compared to most of the schools playing DI hockey. Yes, in the context of the country as a whole they're central, but easily half of the DI schools are east of the Pennsylvania-Ohio border: all of Hockey East, the entire ECAC, nine of ten Atlantic Hockey schools, half of CHA. Michigan is west of the majority of DI. St. Paul is west of all those schools plus the entire CCHA (save for UAH). So is St. Louis (2007) and Milwaukee (2006). So, yeah, as DI college hockey is concerned, the Frozen Four has been "out west" a perfectly reasonable amount.

Regarding the west coast:

A) They had it in Anaheim, and from what I hear it blew.
          B) There are no NCAA hockey schools on the west coast (save for the Alaska schools, but that's a whole other issue) so is there any reason why the west coast should get to host?
          C) Tampa doesn't make much sense either (other than "hey, we've all just spent the winter in the northern part of the country, let's go spend a long weekend someplace warm"), but you shouldn't make further decisions that make no sense just because you made previous decisions that made no sense. (See also: Cincinnati.)
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            ...nine of ten Atlantic Hockey schools, half of CHA. ... St. Paul is west of all those schools plus the entire CCHA (save for UAH).
            Ok, first one must fast-forward to 2010... You mean to say "...11 of 12 Atlantic Hockey schools,..." There is no CHA.

I'm not 100% sure what you really meant to say in that last sentence, but the way it's worded, it sounds like you think UAH is in the CCHA, which of course they are not. Either you meant to say UAF (which would make sense), or you don't know that Huntsville is not West of St. Paul.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Having never been to either city (changing planes at the airport doesn't count) I'm happy with both selections.

Personally, I don't care where they have it as my wife and I will go regardless, its become tradition for us to spend 4 days every spring "vacationing" in the Frozen Four cities. As long as they don't put it in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do we're in. Oh, and no more football fields, we won't do that again but we'll still go to the city for the weekend, just won't buy tickets.

Now, if we can just get MLB to pay attention we'll all have plenty to do on Friday and Saturday afternoon, last year in Detroit Friday and Saturday was great with the Tigers playing right next door.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                Regarding the west coast:

A) They had it in Anaheim, and from what I hear it blew.

C) Tampa doesn't make much sense either (other than "hey, we've all just spent the winter in the northern part of the country, let's go spend a long weekend someplace warm"), but you shouldn't make further decisions that make no sense just because you made previous decisions that made no sense. (See also: Cincinnati.)
                As a complete aside, just to address Anaheim for a mintute - those that go every year: is it safe to say that the FF is a completely different animal now than it was in 1999? I mean, 2000 and 2001 were in Providence and Albany - two places that have absolutely zero chance of hosting a FF ever again. Along thiose lines, is it a given that Tampa will be a failure too? I mean, DC was fantastic, and there was no reason to expect that...
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  As a complete aside, just to address Anaheim for a mintute - those that go every year: is it safe to say that the FF is a completely different animal now than it was in 1999? I mean, 2000 and 2001 were in Providence and Albany - two places that have absolutely zero chance of hosting a FF ever again. Along thiose lines, is it a given that Tampa will be a failure too? I mean, DC was fantastic, and there was no reason to expect that...
                  You're absolutely right.
                  Tampa will be just fine. There was no such thing as an automatic sell out the way there is now. I can't wait. Our whole family is thinking about making a huge vacation out of it to spend Easter in Florida. What could be better? We might have to do an Easter egg hunt for the kids on the hotel grounds, but what the heck?
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    You're absolutely right.
                    Tampa will be just fine. There was no such thing as an automatic sell out the way there is now. I can't wait. Our whole family is thinking about making a huge vacation out of it to spend Easter in Florida. What could be better? We might have to do an Easter egg hunt for the kids on the hotel grounds, but what the heck?
                    Yeah, depending on what I'm doing for work, I'd love to make a vacation out of the Tampa FF. My grandfather lives in Tarpon Springs and at least part of my family visits him every spring. No one else in my family has ever been to a FF, but they all follow college hockey to varying degrees, so I'm pretty sure they'd all approve.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                      Yeah, depending on what I'm doing for work, I'd love to make a vacation out of the Tampa FF. My grandfather lives in Tarpon Springs and at least part of my family visits him every spring. No one else in my family has ever been to a FF, but they all follow college hockey to varying degrees, so I'm pretty sure they'd all approve.
                      Am I the only one who thought that this read "Tampon Springs" at first?
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'll be spending the week in Florida leading up to the Frozen Four. Nothing like a little golf, a little fishing and maybe some waterskiing to shake off the end of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Am I the only one who thought that this read "Tampon Springs" at first?
                          Nope, I had to read it twice as that's what I thought as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            I've been to Philly several times. The rink is in a parking lot without a ton of bars, restaurants in the area like DC, Boston, or Detroit. This one will be a "tailgating Frozen Four". Instead of bars, it'll be grills and beanbag tossing.
                            When the Spectrum is knocked down later this year, an entertainment complex is being built. There will be plenty to do there. Plus, the Phillies could be home at that time.
                            "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by Wardy View Post
                              Philly has plans to build a large mall/entertainment center/hotel complex on the site of the old Spectrum across from Wachovia Center. These plans were the reason why the AHL Phantoms moved eventhough they were very successful at the gate. The Philly FF isn't until 4-5 years off so don't be suprised if there's more stuff around with that project.

Chickies & Petes and McFaddens are within walking distance of the arena.
                              And you are 5-10 minutes away from downtown, thanks to the Broad Street Subway.
                              "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by slapschott View Post
                                When the Spectrum is knocked down later this year, an entertainment complex is being built. There will be plenty to do there. Plus, the Phillies could be home at that time.
                                Like I said, that project is kinda in limbo now, hopefully it gets back on track in time.

The problem with the Phillies is that in 4 years time they'll either suck and not be worth watching or still be good and the games will be sold out.
                                Boston University 2009 Champs
                                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Working...
                                X