Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lindenwood University accepted into NCAA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood University accepted into NCAA.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...712102241.aspx

Sounds like LU crushing ACHA competition is ending within a few seasons, starting with Women's Hockey.

Background for those curious about the school:
    Lindenwood University is a private school located in St. Charles MO, (a suburban community NW of St. Louis), around 10,000 students and a large sucessful athletic department in the NAIA and other non NAIA and NCAA sport organizations.

Women's Ice Hockey has won four ACHA Women's Division I titles since the school added hockey in 2003. Including 3 straight from 2007-2010. And a total record of 207-21-9

NCAA:
    Today (July 12, 2010) the school was accepted into the NCAA and will become a full member of Division II in 2013. The school plans to have 26 sports play in the NCAA with Men's Volleyball and Women's Hockey in NCAA DI.

There's been rumors for yrs LU wants to join DI eventually but that's a long process and DII is a good step. I believe even a USCHO article a few years ago when they explored the CHA for men's and women's hockey while staying in the NAIA- NCAA said No!
    Last edited by sbkbghockey; 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM.

Re: Lindenwood University accepted into NCAA.

I see they are going D1 in Men's volleyball as well, so that would mean they can't start a Men's hockey team in D1 until they move the athletic program to D1, right?

Obviously it's a ways out, but would the CHA be where the women might go?
    Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Larch View Post
      I see they are going D1 in Men's volleyball as well, so that would mean they can't start a Men's hockey team in D1 until they move the athletic program to D1, right?

(a) Yes - and since there is no vialble options for D-II hockey in the West, it appears the men's team will be staying ACHA for the time being.

(b)Appears so - this would give the CHA 6 teams and a "balanced" weekend schedule.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        (a) Yes - and since there is no vialble options for D-II hockey in the West, it appears the men's team will be staying ACHA for the time being.

(b)Appears so - this would give the CHA 6 teams and a "balanced" weekend schedule.
        If they can get another team and go into the WCHA together that league's footprint is closer to LU. Also the geographic spread is what helped doom the CHA Men's league, right now all of their women's teams are fairly close- the CHA will have to decide if a 6th team and balanced weekend schedule is worth the distance. Until the plans for DII schools to play up in men's DI hockey is lifted the men's team has basically no choice to stay in the ACHA DI.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
          Until the plans for DII schools to play up in men's DI hockey is lifted the men's team has basically no choice to stay in the ACHA DI.
          I've been told that's the course LU is taking.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            I've been told that's the course LU is taking.
            I've heard that as well (probably a 5-10 year plan). Plan B is the whole athletic department moving to DI eventually (as early as in the next 10-15). When they do either move Men's hockey to DI or the entire athletic department, St. Charles has tried to make a deal for LU to take control of the 10,000-seat Family Arena. It's an instant suitable location for division I men's hockey. The current 1,000-seat arena is suitable for women's DI (there's also a little room if needed for temp bleachers that could probably push 1,500 cap.)

Comment

All find and dandy to speculate for right now, but first of all, they would need to get the rest of their athletic department into a stable conference for their other sports first. Personally, they would be wise to get into the MIAA. Very strong conference, and it would allow them to have a relationship with Nebraska-Omaha as well.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                All find and dandy to speculate for right now, but first of all, they would need to get the rest of their athletic department into a stable conference for their other sports first. Personally, they would be wise to get into the MIAA. Very strong conference, and it would allow them to have a relationship with Nebraska-Omaha as well.
                I agree, that's exactly what they're doing , they've been in talks with the MIAA for awhile and officially applied immediately after acceptance into the NCAA.

Comment

If nothing more than to beat sbkbghockey to the punch.....

UNK to seek membership into the MIAA
                  www.lopers.com

Kearney, NE - Officials at the University of Nebraska at Kearney today announced that they will seek admission to the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA).

UNK has asked the University of Nebraska Board of Regents for support of the application to the MIAA. Consideration of the request will be an agenda item when the board meets Tuesday, Aug. 17, at Varner Hall in Lincoln.

with the support of the board, UNK Chancellor Doug Kristensen will submit a letter to the MIAA, formally applying for membership. The MIAA will then begin consideration of the application, which will include site visits and an inventory of the UNK athletic department. Acceptance into the new conference, which requires a vote of the CEO Council of the MIAA, would be effective with the 2012-13 school year.

"The change in athletic conference is in the best interest of our campus," Chancellor Kristensen said. "We have the opportunity to join an outstanding conference and reduce travel burdens."

UNK Athletic Director Jon McBride added, "Our primary goal is to improve student athlete welfare by reducing long bus rides and the number of missed classes. In addition, many people are familiar with schools in the MIAA and will be excited to renew old rivalries."

UNK has been a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) since 1994, winning the RMAC All-Sports Trophy for 13 of the last 15 years. There are 14 schools in the RMAC, ranging geographically from Nebraska to western Colorado to southern New Mexico.

The MIAA, founded in 1912, consists of 12 members located in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, and includes the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Three other schools -- Central Oklahoma (Edmond, OK), Northeastern State (Tahlequah, OK), and Lindenwood (St. Charles, MO) -- are also seeking MIAA membership. If UNK and these institutions receive bids, that would push MIAA membership to 16 schools.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                    If nothing more than to beat sbkbghockey to the punch.....
                    lol thanks alot :-P

UCO and Northeastern State were offically accepted into the MIAA a cpl days ago. MIAA is waiting on LU (most speculate til UNK officially applied), speculation is LU and UNK are a few rubber stamps away from the MIAA.

I have a feeling LU and UNO will start off meeting in DII matchups but within 5-10 years we'll probably be seeing some LU-UNO DI men's hockey matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by Larch View Post

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to chime in... Men's Volleyball is National Collegiate, so there actually is no D-I or D-II (just like women's ice hockey). Lindenwood's volleyball team would not impede the school from playing-up to D-I in hockey. Of course, the hockey program could still be impeded by a moratorium on single sport D-I programs or any other NCAA red tape.
                      BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                      CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                      2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                      2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

so they are going to be independent or they are going into CHA??

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                          I know this is an old thread, but I just had to chime in... Men's Volleyball is National Collegiate, so there actually is no D-I or D-II (just like women's ice hockey). Lindenwood's volleyball team would not impede the school from playing-up to D-I in hockey. Of course, the hockey program could still be impeded by a moratorium on single sport D-I programs or any other NCAA red tape.
                          Thanks for a bit more clarification, I know very little about NCAA volleyball so that explains a bit more. I believe that moratorium ends summer 2011 and will be replaced by a rule that basically says a school can't play up if a championship exists at that level. But hockey does not have a DII championship it'll be interesting to see what LU men's and possibly some other DII teams do.

Originally posted by 71miracleman View Post
                          Still no word on women’s hockey or any of the non-MIAA sports. The university is only in the first year f the transition to NCAA DII so it has time before it's can play in NCAA tournaments anyway. A bigger concern for LU and it's new conference in Division II, the MIAA, is that UNO has announced it is leaving, dropping football and wrestling, and joining the DI Summit League. The MIAA was expanding from 12 to 16 teams and now w/o UNO will be down at 15.

Comment

Originally posted by 71miracleman View Post
                            Given the creation of the BTHC, with the departure of Minny and Wisco to that conference, there is room in the WCHA

Comment

MN and WI women's teams are not going to the BT. They would need MSU and UM to step up and provide a women's varsity team and at the moment that is not happening, maybe in 3-5 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X