Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread IV -- It's Looking Like No "I-V" Is Necessary!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread IV -- It's Looking Like No "I-V" Is Necessary!

Originally posted by babo View Post
    RB: got to see Knowlton's son play first hand (he was on the CD Stars and the Colonel was on the bench so we got to chat with both). The younger Knowlton is a fine player with good hands and sees the ice really well. He noted a few of Luke's team mates and hopefully SA can pursue with the BRO's and Quinn's assistance.

I did not get to see many other players as I was busy watching my 'dog in the fight'.

It was a true '52 card pickup' tournament...some said we should've been in the Jr. A Tournament and a few of the Jr. A coaches said the College Open Division was the better one...with over 100 teams it's hard to know. Our team comprised 15 players who'd never played together before and it was fun because they gelled together quickly. They used only 5 D and it was awesome...the guys got to play lots and work with each of the other guys. We had some real sniping ability, as the forwards were predominantly '92s and '93s...

Scouts who were there were there to watch specific players, regardless of the Division. They say it's a good tourney to place people on their list in preparation for the upcoming season. Mark Messier and his Dad coached the CT Yankees in our Division so it was fun to have them in the rinks with their extended family. Messier was very engaging.

Overall WS is right...it was a good way to get some hockey in; it doesn't compare to the Stanley Cup (or college hockey, or USHL hockey), but it gave us a Summer Hockey Fix and we had a blast.
    Good hockey, lotta fun. No one there ever in a million years said college level was better. Every team that had 2 or more put their younger 16 and 17 year olds in college and A team in top bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
      Not that I know squat about what's going on with the team (seriously), keep an eye on stuff going on with the Blackhawks. Desperation is a stinky cologne there this summer.

They signed former Big Green draft bust Hugh Jessiman to a two-way deal so they're looking to fill out their AHL ranks. The rumor mill has also again picked up around Nick Leddy now that stories are surfacing that defenseman Jordan Hendry, who is in talks to re-sign with the Blackhawks, may be heading to Russia.

If I need to stress why their situation bears watching, you're just not paying close attention.
      I can't disagree with any of this, especially about desperation. That said, the Hawks have to know that BP would get pummeled in the AHL. Looking good in Dev. camp is one thing, but the issue would be when Pirri is playing his third game in 4 days after not sleeping a wink -- thanks to the lumpy mattress at the Super 8 in Toledo -- he chases a puck into the corner against a guy he's giving up fifty pounds to and WHAMMO.....they're bringing him off in pieces.

His skills belong in the AHL, but his body needs to catch up. If he jumps now, he'll get the tar knocked out of him...I hope I don't have to witness that.
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I found a blogger reviewing of some of the kids on the US U17 team...about roughly half of whom aren't committed to a college...a few others appear to have only blue chip programs chasing them. (Of course, RPI could be chasing a few of these kids and it hasn't made this guy's radar.) No idea if we have any interest...just throwing it out there.... like dirty bath water....It's July people -- sue me!!!

Defenseman Brady Skjei is from Lakeville, MN - Brian Brutlag's hometown (but he did not play at Holy Angels)

Brady Skjei (Lakeville North HS) is a 6'0", 160 pound offensive defenseman ... Skjei finished second on the Lakeville North squad in scoring as a defenseman, which is no easy task...In 30 total games ...Skjei scored 11 goals with 4 of them coming in post-season play. He also added 18 total assists for 29 points ...Although Skjei had a great year statistically, he hasn't really generated much college interest, which is peculiar, considering almost all of the USNTDP selections either have college scholarship offers locked up, or they have multiple colleges drooling over them. Just by getting on the U17 squad will guarantee a scholarship offer.

Interestingly, Stefan Matteau is a French Canadien who'll playing for the USA Somebody 's gotta explain that one to me?? Am I to guess he has an aunt in Michigan?? (FWIW - His last team was the Notre Dame Hounds - which both A-G brothers attended.)

Stefan Matteau (Notre Dame Hounds) is a 6'1", 188 pound center out of Blainville, Quebec. Matteau was the only foreign-born player that committed to play for the USNTDP. Matteau is not the best statistical forward that committed to the U17 squad, but is an overall good center who has skills on both sides of the puck. Matteau is breaking the mold a little bit here, being a Canadian who wants to come down and play for Team USA and go the college route. Matteau is one of the few USNTDP commits that doesn't have a college offer locked up. However, he has garnered some interest with his stats, posting 37 points, 15 of them goals and 22 were assists. Matteau has received interest from Cornell, Quinnipiac, and Yale.

http://ushlprospectblog.blogspot.com...es-usntdp.html
        Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          Interestingly, Stefan Matteau is a French Canadien who'll playing for the USA Somebody 's gotta explain that one to me?? Am I to guess he has an aunt in Michigan?? (FWIW - His last team was the Notre Dame Hounds - which both A-G brothers attended.)

Stefan Matteau (Notre Dame Hounds) is a 6'1", 188 pound center out of Blainville, Quebec. Matteau was the only foreign-born player that committed to play for the USNTDP. Matteau is not the best statistical forward that committed to the U17 squad, but is an overall good center who has skills on both sides of the puck. Matteau is breaking the mold a little bit here, being a Canadian who wants to come down and play for Team USA and go the college route. Matteau is one of the few USNTDP commits that doesn't have a college offer locked up. However, he has garnered some interest with his stats, posting 37 points, 15 of them goals and 22 were assists. Matteau has received interest from Cornell, Quinnipiac, and Yale.
          http://ushlprospectblog.blogspot.com...es-usntdp.html
          Does the quote "Matteau! ... Matteau! Matteau!" mean something to you?

His father played for the Rangers, among other teams, and probably accounts for dual citizenship.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Does the quote "Matteau! ... Matteau! Matteau!" mean something to you?

His father played for the Rangers, among other teams, and probably accounts for dual citizenship.
            Last I knew, to play for the USA in anything you had to be born in the United States...

Comment

Last I knew, to play for the USA in anything you had to be born in the United States...
              You don't have to be born in the US. I don't know exactly what is required.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 27 July 2010. There are 73 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The info on Paul was from someone who has posted here. Let's leave it at that. "College interests are BC, Cornell, Colgate, Northeastern, RPI, RIT and Umass."
                  Looks like CHE Blue won the Jr Elite Div. Ramieri brothers played very well and based on the website roster, they will be playing in the OJHL for Orangeville this year.

Comment

You don't have to be born in the US. I don't know exactly what is required.
                    I'm guessing his mother is an American, thus he has dual citizenship.
                    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                      Looks like CHE Blue won the Jr Elite Div. Ramieri brothers played very well and based on the website roster, they will be playing in the OJHL for Orangeville this year.
                      Thanks for the information.

Of course, based upon a roster from last year, JL was headed to Gatineau. This, OTOH, is probably correct.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Of course, based upon a roster from last year, JL was headed to Gatineau. This, OTOH, is probably correct.
                        I'm tempted to compose a theme song for any post that has to do with JL. Either that, or if I'm feeling lazy, use the one from either Y&R or Guiding Light.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          I'm tempted to compose a theme song for any post that has to do with JL. Either that, or if I'm feeling lazy, use the one from either Y&R or Guiding Light.
                          Just don't use MTU's ditty.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I don't think that this blog report about Brandon Pirri has been posted here yet http://indianheadnation.com/index/20...gs-after-camp/.
                            Brandon Pirri was the best offensive force of any prospect at camp. His skills are elite and his confidence is glaring, at some point you wonder how good he can be if he just tacked on a few more pounds.

Pirri was like the Patrick Sharp of all prospects on the rush. Skating up the ice he was shifty and unpredictable, although displayed better hands than expected. He accelerates nicely but when he gets to top speed he seems to coast and can’t make one-on-one moves while keeping his feet moving. His passing is tape-to-tape and his vision is impressive, although at times when he has the puck he has the tendency of keeping his head down. His shot is very accurate and has a quick release.

Overall Pirri is a very intriguing prospect with a lot of potential. He has some work to do though, his game is not at all polished but the potential is high and the skill set is elite. It might work in the lower levels but he’ll have to realize some day that in order to reach that next level he has to do the little things, starting off with keeping his head up and feet moving.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI press release about players at camps http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...727100254.aspx
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI press release about players at camps http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...727100254.aspx
                                No mention of Pat Cullen attending Caps camp...no quote from Appert telling us how happy he is that they'll all be returning for the fall (insert FD's soap opera music here)...
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X