X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Frozen Four In Duluth

Great news from the Tuesday Duluth News Tribune:

UMD to host Women’s Frozen Four in 2012

Minnesota Duluth will be the host school for the 2012 NCAA Division I Women’s Frozen Four hockey tournament to be held in March at Amsoil Arena, the NCAA announced Monday.

UMD has been the host school for the Frozen Four in 2008 and 2003, with the Bulldogs winning the Division I title in each year. The 2011 Division I women’s Frozen Four is in Erie, Pa., with UMD entering the season as defending champion.

The University of Minnesota will be the host school for the 2013 Division I Women’s Frozen Four.

As always, the University of New Hampshire is more than welcome to attend. And here's hoping we see Cornell again in 2012 if not in 2011.
    Last edited by JosephPSchmoe; 06-29-2010, 12:48 AM.

Re: 2012 Frozen Four In Duluth

Old news...

had this story last week when the NCAA release came out!
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
      Minnesota Duluth will be the host school for the 2012 NCAA Division I Women’s Frozen Four hockey tournament to be held in March at Amsoil Arena, the NCAA announced Monday.
      The University of Minnesota will be the host school for the 2013 Division I Women’s Frozen Four.
      ... following Minnesota in 2010 and Mercyhurst in 2011. Can one assume this means that the HEA and ECAC schools aren't bidding at this point? While this is convenient for fans in and around Minnesota, this isn't great news for the women's game in general.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
        Old news...

had this story last week when the NCAA release came out!
        Okay. It's entirely possible that I missed it. It wasn't posted in the UMD thread, I didn't see it anywhere else here and the News Tribune in today's edition said the NCAA just announced it yesterday.

Comment

Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

JoeSchmoe - thanks for posting this info just the same. I had not heard this news here in the East as I don't regularly check the NCAA website for hockey info. I check it here on this forum. And yes, as a fan of the women's game, I lament the fact that the Frozen Four will not be back on the East coast until 2014 at the earliest. I was hoping for another crack at either Boston or Lake Placid (great hockey town) but I have no idea if any eastern schools put in bids or not for 2012 or 2013. I will probably make the drive to Erie in 2011 whether my team is there or not. Personally, I like the idea of having the Frozen Four alternate between East/West on a yearly basis but if no schools put in bids, what can you do.
            THINK PINK
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Makes me wonder...how has Frozen Four attendance compared from East to West? Can't really understand no bids from venues in the East. Particularly at this time with some new "powerhouses" in the region.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                Makes me wonder...how has Frozen Four attendance compared from East to West? Can't really understand no bids from venues in the East. Particularly at this time with some new "powerhouses" in the region.
                As much as I relish in the fact that it will be within an afternoon's drive for me for both 2012 and 2013, I'm scratching my head on this one too. I, like a number of Gopher fans, was in Boston in '09, and I thought it was a great turnout given that none of the participating teams was from New England. I have to believe the turnout would have been even greater had a HEA or ECAC team made it in.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Okay. It's entirely possible that I missed it. It wasn't posted in the UMD thread, I didn't see it anywhere else here and the News Tribune in today's edition said the NCAA just announced it yesterday.
                  http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...aa+news+062510

Even the UMD Release says released Monday. Apparently they cant even read the date on a release.... (see the top of the link)

Had the article on BTD Friday Morning.
                  The WCHA Dynasty
                  Wisconsin
                  National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                  MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                  National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                  MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                  National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                  MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    For the two Frozen Fours held in Duluth, attendance in 2003 was 5,167 and in 2008 was 4,031. If I was more ambitious I'd look up attendance at the other eight tournaments for a comparison, but I'm not that ambitious. I might get that ambitious later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Comment

For the two Frozen Fours held in Duluth, attendance in 2003 was 5,167 and in 2008 was 4,031. If I was more ambitious I'd look up attendance at the other eight tournaments for a comparison, but I'm not that ambitious. I might get that ambitious later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
                      Here is my post from the Attendance at NCAA thread:

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      Here are the FF attendance figures for every year it has been held:

Code:
                      By Year
                      2001 Minneapolis  Semifinals  2,099        Final  3,079
                      2002 Durham       Semifinals  2,051        Final  3,102
                      2003 Duluth       Semifinals  4,801 (host) Final  5,167 (host)
                      2004 Providence   Semifinals  2,526        Final  3,522
                      2005 Durham       Semifinals  2,204        Final  2,056
                      2006 Minneapolis  Semifinals  2,876 (host) Final  4,701 (host)
                      2007 Lake Placid* Semifinals  3,423 (host) Final  3,355
                      2008 Duluth**     Semifinals  3,023 (host) Final  4,031 (host)
                      2009 Boston       Semifinals  2,706        Final  2,437
                      2010 Minneapolis  Semifinals  2,070 (host) Final  1,473
                      * first year FF held a week earlier
                      ** Thursday-Saturday

By Attendance
                      Semifinals          Final
                      4,801 (host)        5,167 (host)
                      3,423 (host)        4,701 (host)
                      3,023 (host)        4,031 (host)
                      2,876 (host)        3,522
                      2,706               3,355
                      2,526               3,102
                      2,204               3,079
                      2,099               2,437
                      2,070 (host)        2,056
                      2,051               1,473
                      Having the host in the tournament has boosted attendance (except this year). The top four semifinals and the top three finals all involved the host team.

It is hard to determine if the change to a week earlier is impacting attendance, as it went up the first year for the semifinals, but dropped for the final. The semifinal attendance has now dropped for three straight years and the final attendance for two straight and 3-of-4.

I find the drastic attendance drop off this year troubling. The semifinal attendance is second to last, despite the host playing, and over 600 less than last year’s. The final attendance is dead last, almost 1000 less than last year and over 600 less than the previous low.

It will be interesting to see the attendance in Eire next year, with or without Mercyhurst. And regarding ticket prices, I see that tickets for next year are already on sale:

All session passes for Friday & Sunday are $50.00 adult, $40.00 student.
                      All session passes are on sale now. Single tickets go on sale March 11, 2011.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Thanks for doing the work, Sean. I'd love to fill the new Amsoil Arena when the Bulldogs host in 2012 just to see what that's like. I have no idea how only 1400 showed up to this year's title game. That's just strange.

Comment

The attendance at this year's Frozen Four is just baffling to me also, Schmoe. If I recall, there was some chatter here on the boards about it in reference to the other things happening that weekend in the world of hockey.

I just spoke with some of the UMD players yesterday who weren't aware of the venue choice and they are fired up. Particularly last year's freshman class who are still riding that National Championship high. But as one said to me, "That's sick..." (I guess that means good, eh?) "...but I've not even started playing THIS year!". Great focus, I say.

Looking forward, I hereby invite any out of towners to crash at my place for the 2012 event. And in the spirit of Canada Day today, Canadian get first dibs.

Comment

I'm not (quite) naive enough to think we can fill all 6600 seats at Amsoil Arena in 2012. But if we can get 4-5000 like the last two Frozen Fours we hosted here, that would work for me. I'm just really curious what the atmosphere there would be like with a nearly full house. Those felt like championship tournaments. This year's most decidedly did not.

Comment

Those felt like championship tournaments. This year's most decidedly did not.
                              Man...watching the games and the level of play in each game, I feel pretty much the exact opposite.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X