Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 regionals awarded

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    I was also at both games and they definitely used it. I remember seeing it. The place holds 14,800 without the curtain and 7,200 with it. The attendance was 6,500 the first day and 6,000 the second day, and the building looked pretty full. It would've looked barren without the curtain.
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold on fanboy... Where are you getting those numbers from? I've spent a lot of time in that building during the days of the Icecats and those 300s sections are a very very small % of the seats in there. There is no way there are 7,600 seats in the balcony, which is tiny (and only on the sidelines) compared to the lower bowl. And since you seemed to agree that you wouldn't notice the curtains (because they are so high up and out of the way), I really don't know how you could say that it looked barren.

Check out this map, no way in hell.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 06-29-2010, 11:54 AM.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold on fanboy... Where are you getting those numbers from? I've spent a lot of time in that building during the days of the Icecats and those 300s sections are a very very small % of the seats in there. There is no way there are 7,600 seats in the balcony, which is tiny (and only on the sidelines) compared to the lower bowl. And since you seemed to agree that you wouldn't notice the curtains (because they are so high up and out of the way), I really don't know how you could say that it looked barren.

Check out this map, no way in hell.
      The figures came from Wikipedia, so I'm definitely taking them with a grain of salt. That said, there's no doubt in my mind the curtains cover about half of the seats in there. You're wrong about them covering only the 300s. They cover more than half of the 200s as well. This is a pretty good picture of it.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Bridgeport and Worcester?.....Yay! 2 of the armpits of New England!

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          Bridgeport and Worcester?.....Yay! 2 of the armpits of New England!
          there's always springfield

Comment

The figures came from Wikipedia, so I'm definitely taking them with a grain of salt. That said, there's no doubt in my mind the curtains cover about half of the seats in there. You're wrong about them covering only the 300s. They cover more than half of the 200s as well. This is a pretty good picture of it.
            flickr blocked at work, can't see it.

You know what it is... I don't think they blocked the 300s with a curtain, they just never let anyone up there and had a few security folks up there. It had to be open for the press. I remember looking on TM for 300 level seats just to see if they were cheaper and they weren't even selling them.

They never put the curtain up for the regionals, there's no doubt in my mind. The place would have looked too packed given the crowd numbers and estimated capacity of just the uncovered portion. Plus they would have had to do the curtains ahead of time and with a potentially big walk up crowd with BC in the regional (and Yale this year), they wouldn't have risked it.
            Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You know what it is... I don't think they blocked the 300s with a curtain, they just never let anyone up there and had a few security folks up there. It had to be open for the press. I remember looking on TM for 300 level seats just to see if they were cheaper and they weren't even selling them.

They never put the curtain up for the regionals, there's no doubt in my mind. The place would have looked too packed given the crowd numbers and estimated capacity of just the covered portion. Plus they would have had to do the curtains ahead of time and with a potentially big walk up crowd with BC in the regional (and Yale this year), they wouldn't have risked it.
              Hmm... now I'm second guessing myself. I was with the press and now I honestly can't even remember if we were in the 200s or 300s. I remember there being a lot of empty rows behind me, though (probably 12-15), so we must've been in the 200s because I don't think the 300s have that many rows. I could've sworn there was a curtain across from us, but like I said, now I'm second guessing myself. Anyway, the way the curtain's set up in that pic would definitely cut out about half the arena's seats, but that might not have been how it was set up (if it was set up at all) for the regionals. Here's another good pic with the curtain.

Edit: The curtain definitely wasn't like that behind at least one net for regionals because BC had its student section up there.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

They never put the curtain up for the regionals, there's no doubt in my mind. The place would have looked too packed given the crowd numbers and estimated capacity of just the uncovered portion. Plus they would have had to do the curtains ahead of time and with a potentially big walk up crowd with BC in the regional (and Yale this year), they wouldn't have risked it.
                this............light goes on! now it comes back to me. i sat on the bend across from the BC bench, where Yale was pouring goals in late in the 3rd and i do remember a few people in the balcony above the BC bench , press like Nick said?? but you couldn't go up there.

Comment

Why not host a regional at BC? They have the second largest capacity in HE behind only UMASS. UMASS has a better arena but it is to far out. Even if it is a year BC doesn't make it in you would still have the possibility of another HE school making it and bringing in a good crowd.

Comment

Providence would definitely be a good location for the Northeast regional. As would Portland. I don't mind Manchester or Worcester, but I'd just like to see somewhere else get into the rotation. And a great location for either the East regional or the Northeast regional would be Hartford. Sure, the XL Center wouldn't sell out, but they could come up with some sort of curtain system like Worcester has.
                    Why in God's name would anybody advocate going to Hartford? If New Haven is the @##hole of CT, then surely Hartford is one armpit (with Bridgeport being the other).

Not that Worcester is any great shakes mind you, but its like saying hey its great that you're going to Baltimore instead of Detroit for a vacation.

Providence ought to get it regularly, with a Manchester or wherever thrown in once in awhile. Did Portland get a new arena yet? That would be a decent place to go once in awhile.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      I seriously want your signature to get cancer and die in a fire.
                      Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                      The "antique" is a nice touch. Might I add "rusty" to the farm implement description?
                      Agree on all accounts. Nothing like the added fun of Tetanus as well.

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Why in God's name would anybody advocate going to Hartford? If New Haven is the @##hole of CT, then surely Hartford is one armpit (with Bridgeport being the other).

Not that Worcester is any great shakes mind you, but its like saying hey its great that you're going to Baltimore instead of Detroit for a vacation.

Providence ought to get it regularly, with a Manchester or wherever thrown in once in awhile. Did Portland get a new arena yet? That would be a decent place to go once in awhile.
                      Well, where else they going to go in the Northwest??
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                        Why not host a regional at BC? They have the second largest capacity in HE behind only UMASS. UMASS has a better arena but it is to far out. Even if it is a year BC doesn't make it in you would still have the possibility of another HE school making it and bringing in a good crowd.
                        the US pays off 13 trillion in debt before this happens.........

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                          This was probably asked, but I'm asking again because I can't find the answer: if the site is a "repeat", does that mean that the same school is the host school?
                          not necessarily but most likely
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            UMASS has a better arena but it is to far out.
                            94 miles (from Boston) is "too far out"?
                            Yikes
                            The New Englanders' mindframe with regards to traveling never ceases to amaze me
                            There are people around here that travel nearly that far every day to get to work.
                            Try the WCHA / CCHA / Air Force travel schedules on for size, then tell us what is "too far out".
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              94 miles (from Boston) is "too far out"?
                              Yikes
                              The New Englanders' mindframe with regards to traveling never ceases to amaze me
                              There are people around here that travel nearly that far every day to get to work.
                              Try the WCHA / CCHA / Air Force travel schedules on for size, then tell us what is "too far out".
                              Don't forget that Amherst hosted a regional back in 2005 (BSU took eventual national champ Denver to OT). My comments on Amherst and Mullins Center: I loved the town. My traveling party checked into the hotel as soon as we got into town and asked where we could get seafood, and the guy at the desk said, "There aren't any - It's not like we're near the ocean." Also, we had talked about driving to the regionals in Worchester after the afternoon games in Amherst (what, and hour away?), and everyone told us it was way too far to drive...

As to the rink, all I can say is that it's a nice basketball arena. I went to cover the game as press, and the hockey press box was a joke, and there was literaly no way to get from there to the locker-room or the interview areas without walking through the stands.
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                                My traveling party checked into the hotel as soon as we got into town and asked where we could get seafood, and the guy at the desk said, "There aren't any - It's not like we're near the ocean." Also, we had talked about driving to the regionals in Worchester after the afternoon games in Amherst (what, and hour away?), and everyone told us it was way too far to drive....
                                That's great!

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                                As to the rink, all I can say is that it's a nice basketball arena. I went to cover the game as press, and the hockey press box was a joke, and there was literaly no way to get from there to the locker-room or the interview areas without walking through the stands.
                                I myself have never been to the Mullins Center in Amherst. After all, it's just SOOOOO far away (approx. 320 mi.)
                                Can't we all just get along?
                                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X