Boston Herald reports that Boston selected for 2014 FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston Herald reports that Boston selected for 2014 FF

Why is it every time someone talks about how crappy a city is someone defends it with "but we have BARS and restaurants here!!!!"???

So does Boise.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
      Why is it every time someone talks about how crappy a city is someone defends it with "but we have BARS and restaurants here!!!!"???

So does Boise.
      but they've got the smurf turf!
      time to write new history

Comment

I've been to the strip, and its a poor man's Landsdown St (the street by Fenway for you non-Bostonians). In short, its not that interesting. Turning old warehouses into bars has already been tried. In Pittsburgh it just seems trite.

BTW, who the h e l l wants to go to a Pirates game? The worst team in baseball over the last two decades, with nobody of interest on the team. Yeah, again, its nice they put a stadium near the water but when the team is losing regularly it doesn't exactly scream 'atmosphere'.

Bottom line in Pittsburgh is that you can spend two days there, if you have transportation. The problem is, that's it. Once those two days are done, you've probably seen it all. And just one more word of note, if you take a river boat around town, do yourself a big, big favor and don't look down at the water. You really aren't going to like what you see floating around in there.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          do we have to go over this every couple months?!?!?!

some people like to live in pittsburgh. some don't

some still go back and golf there. great courses.

but for visitors.... you need a car. it's neighborhood oriented.

sports themed town. so that works for a "sports convention" like a FF.

and spidey.. if you are going across the mon, you will have a better time on carson st walking around the bars, not at station sq (where my mom may take you ). of course that is not near a 'subway' stop and as we've gone over too many times you don't hail taxis in pittsburgh, you call for them. downtown dies after work finishes during the week. if you want to go see the carnegie museum, that's nice --- but again get in your rental car or take the bus through the hood is kennywood even open 2nd week of april? great roller coasters, but you need a car and should come back in august

it's not a touristy place like others would be used to wanted to go someplace for a vacation.
          Pittsburgh is not a bad city at all. I was there in 2005 and enjoyed it quite a bit. PNC is the best ballpark in America as far as Im concerned. Sure, there are limited options at night for bars, but as long as I can find one bar that will serve me until I fall down, I'll be fine.

Probably make a week's long vacation out of it. Hit Gettysburg for a few days, too. Pittsburgh works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
            Pittsburgh is not a bad city at all. I was there in 2005 and enjoyed it quite a bit. PNC is the best ballpark in America as far as Im concerned.

Ummm...yeah. Now I see where your opinion is coming from. Better than Wrigley, Fenway, San Fran's stadium?

Getting back on topic, I can live with the FF going there, once, if they have the new Penguins facility available and for Robert Morris' sake (as well as maybe encouraging some other nearby schools to go D-1). Its easy to fly to and its centrally located. Its a far better alternative to the Omahas and Kansas City's of the country bidding on the event, which would be a disaster on par with Cincy if it went there. But that's it. From my first trip there about 7 years ago to now nothing has changed and it hasn't gotten any more interesting. In 2 days you can see everything you need to, so a one time event there is appropriate before the FF goes back to more interesting places.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Ummm...yeah. Now I see where your opinion is coming from. Better than Wrigley, Fenway, San Fran's stadium?

Getting back on topic, I can live with the FF going there, once, if they have the new Penguins facility available and for Robert Morris' sake (as well as maybe encouraging some other nearby schools to go D-1). Its easy to fly to and its centrally located. Its a far better alternative to the Omahas and Kansas City's of the country bidding on the event, which would be a disaster on par with Cincy if it went there. But that's it. From my first trip there about 7 years ago to now nothing has changed and it hasn't gotten any more interesting. In 2 days you can see everything you need to, so a one time event there is appropriate before the FF goes back to more interesting places.
              I haven't been to SF yet, but I"ve been to most of the 'new' stadiums and PNC is the best I've been to. It's akin to Camden Yards when it first opened. It obviously doesn't have the atmosphere of a Fenway or Wrigley, but it's a gorgeous ballpark.

Washington DC was the king as far as Im concerned for FF. Denver and Milwaukee wasn't too far behind to be honest. I'd like to think that disasterous cities such as KC or Cincy wouldn't make the cut

Comment

I haven't been to SF yet, but I"ve been to most of the 'new' stadiums and PNC is the best I've been to. It's akin to Camden Yards when it first opened. It obviously doesn't have the atmosphere of a Fenway or Wrigley, but it's a gorgeous ballpark.

Washington DC was the king as far as Im concerned for FF. Denver and Milwaukee wasn't too far behind to be honest. I'd like to think that disasterous cities such as KC or Cincy wouldn't make the cut
                I thought DC was a game changer too. Looking back on these since the early 90's, I think 1998 was huge also. The excitement in the city, the scarcity of tickets even though it was played in a (then) brand new NHL arena, the press coverage, etc pretty much doomed having the event in small cities without a pro caliber arena. While Albany and Providence snuck in afterwards, I don't see them ever getting the FF again (yes there was the Cowlumbus experiment but that's not ever happening again either).

DC was the next transformational one to me because it showed that the event could sell out in a non-traditional city even if no giant state schools made the FF and in fact only one large school was there. This proved that the event has enough of a regular following, coupled with ticket sales from participating schools, to fill a 20-25K seat arena provided the city had some appeal to it.

Don't know yet about Detroit, but I'm real curious how St Pete's goes. If that one is a success (and really I don't see how it wouldn't be - who doesn't like Florida in April?) who knows what doors that opens in terms of locations.

Comment

only one large school was there.
                  Large as in a school with many undergrads or the waist size of the undergrads at BU?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Large as in a school with many undergrads or the waist size of the undergrads at BU?
                    We can't all weigh 98 pounds soaking wet like you Nick.

Comment

I thought DC was a game changer too. Looking back on these since the early 90's, I think 1998 was huge also. The excitement in the city, the scarcity of tickets even though it was played in a (then) brand new NHL arena, the press coverage, etc pretty much doomed having the event in small cities without a pro caliber arena. While Albany and Providence snuck in afterwards, I don't see them ever getting the FF again (yes there was the Cowlumbus experiment but that's not ever happening again either).

DC was the next transformational one to me because it showed that the event could sell out in a non-traditional city even if no giant state schools made the FF and in fact only one large school was there. This proved that the event has enough of a regular following, coupled with ticket sales from participating schools, to fill a 20-25K seat arena provided the city had some appeal to it.

Don't know yet about Detroit, but I'm real curious how St Pete's goes. If that one is a success (and really I don't see how it wouldn't be - who doesn't like Florida in April?) who knows what doors that opens in terms of locations.
                      Detroit, as a host city, did a good job and it was much better than I thought. If they played the FF at the Joe, it would have been a home run. The Ford Field thing, although different, just didnt' have a hockey feel. If you went to the Frozen Fenway thing, it was very similar minus the snow. It felt more "eventish" than for a championship game if that makes any sense.

Put the FF in major cities with NHL teams from now on with the occasional Milwaukee and I'll be fine. The idea of Nashville, KC, etc are already making me nauseous.

Comment

Put the FF in major cities with NHL teams from now on with the occasional Milwaukee and I'll be fine. The idea of Nashville, KC, etc are already making me nauseous.
                        Hate to be a killjoy, but Nashville has an NHL team...

Comment

Originally posted by frmbostn View Post
                          Just wondering but...

Would AIC count as a Boston school? In that case tickets shouldnt be a problem. They could all sit in the penalty box and still have room for players.
                          I thought AIC was in the Springfield area. If so, that's nowhere near Boston.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                            I thought AIC was in the Springfield area. If so, that's nowhere near Boston.
                            Not the brightest bulb on the tree, are we?
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

PNC Park in Pittsburgh is by far the best. The Clemente bridge and city skyline view in beyond the OF is awesome. AT&T in SF is great with the bay beyond the OF is a very close 2nd for me. I had a 12 game ticket package last summer. Need a good jacket for any night game.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post

So does Boise.
                                The NCAA should just keep the title game in St. Paul.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X