PDA

View Full Version : Former Elmira Player gets his name on Lord Stanley's Cup

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
06-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I must be dreaming...

This has already been mentioned in a USCHO Blog, focused on DI players, and yet it hasn't been mentioned HERE? :eek:

From this blog post: (http://www.uscho.com/blogs/from_the_press_box/toddmilewski/20100609/college-names-on-the-cup.html)

UPDATE: In addition to the players, we’ve been informed that Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland played at Elmira in 1989-90.

So now both of my DIII teams have a former player/coach on the Cup :cool:

ballgame
06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
nice

If you look at NCAA DIII coaches youd have Barry Smith who coached Elmira

fbushey
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
nice

If you look at NCAA DIII coaches youd have Barry Smith who coached Elmira

Barry's brother Dave Smith would be on as a trainer for NY Rangers

BiggestEagleFan
06-15-2010, 09:57 AM
The most amazing thing is that in a week now since the Blackhawks won the Stanley cup not one of the media outlets in ELMIRA has mensioned the fact that Mike Haviland is an assistant coach for them and an alum from Elmira college. I would bet if there was a tie to the Jackals that would have been covered fully. Makes me sick how the media coverage is so one way. Any other thoughts????

PrezdeJohnson09
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
The most amazing thing is that in a week now since the Blackhawks won the Stanley cup not one of the media outlets in ELMIRA has mensioned the fact that Mike Haviland is an assistant coach for them and an alum from Elmira college. I would bet if there was a tie to the Jackals that would have been covered fully. Makes me sick how the media coverage is so one way. Any other thoughts????

Although I completely agree...This could be simply the fact that no one at Elmira has notified the paper/TV that Mike is an EC Alum.

NUProf
06-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Although I completely agree...This could be simply the fact that no one at Elmira has notified the paper/TV that Mike is an EC Alum.

The preoccupation that Elmira fans have with the Jackels continues to amaze me.:confused:

BiggestEagleFan
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I have emailed the JACKALS Gazette and wetm. Wetm has told me on several occations dating back to 2006 that they give equal coverage....

smbenny
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Very nice article in the Star-Gazette this morning about Mike, but I can't find the link on the Star-Gazette's website. There is a picture of him in his old EC jersey at the Domes! It's about time they put the article in the paper!

norm1909
06-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Very nice article in the Star-Gazette this morning about Mike, but I can't find the link on the Star-Gazette's website. There is a picture of him in his old EC jersey at the Domes! It's about time they put the article in the paper!

Here is the link. (http://www.stargazette.com/article/20100619/SPORTS/6190336/Elmira-College-grad-Haviland-helped-Chicago-capture-Cup)

Excerpt:

* Playing highlight: All-American in 1990 for Elmira College

* Coaching highlights: 2006-07 AHL Coach of the Year; head coach of two ECHL Kelly Cup championship winners

MountieBoyOz
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
It's the only way an Elmira player will ever get a championship. :D

Sorry. Had to do it.

norm1909
06-20-2010, 08:50 PM
It's the only way an Elmira player will ever get a championship. :D

Sorry. Had to do it.

Sexist :p

MountieBoyOz
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Sexist :p