Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rule Changes

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    If we could only voice our displeasure with these proposed changes...
    That icing rule is the stupidest thing ever. Better idea if they want to go this route. When a penalty is called, instead of getting a powerplay, you get a goal.

Teams on the powerplay that ice the puck should be given a 2 minute minor for failing (Tech would be screwed).
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      I just don't understand the constant need to screw around with an already great game.
      This people have to justify their jobs?
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Just to really show how stupid some of this is, high-sticking is currently a CTH penalty. Aren't high sticks almost always accidental? And they want to make it an automatic ejection? Simply ********.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Can I watch while they do it?? Because that rule is ridiculous.
          Agreed.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            I'm not sure who's on this Playing Rules Oversight Committee that votes on it, but they can't be as dumb as whoever's on the Ice Hockey Rules Committee that proposed it.
            I hope your right. I got these links off of the NCAA site. Hard to believe the Hockey rules committee came up with these proposed changes.

Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee

Playing Rules Oversight Panel

Comment

Contact to the head will get abused.

I like getting rid of no touch. Good counter to no obtainable pass.

Goaltender switch: whatever.

No comment on the other two.

Comment

Just to really show how stupid some of this is, high-sticking is currently a CTH penalty. Aren't high sticks almost always accidental? And they want to make it an automatic ejection? Simply ********.
                Despite how stupid this all is, I refuse to believe they're just going to call things the way they have been and toss guys for all of these penalties. As I said before, I would hope that the CTH penalties* will be much more rare now and will be for severe cheapshots. Then instead of CTH-High Sticking* or CTH-Elbowing* or CTH-Roughing* or whatever the heck they kept calling which was a mixture of the two, just call elbowing*, roughing*, high sticking*, etc (which is the way it should have been done in the first place given that the 3 individual violations already had their own penalties).

*Note - these rules will not apply to BU in the Beanpot along with all the others... as always
                Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 06-11-2010, 02:28 PM.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I hope you're right, but I've got to believe that the referees are going to be instructed to call the CTH. That's going to make a real mess out of the first month of games or so. I remember seeing the same thing when they first emphasized the CFB penalties a few years ago. I saw a ton of majors at first, and then it did start to settle down.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                    The only one of these proposals I like is getting rid of the attainable pass rule. I think that rule's stupid. I also think the rest of these proposals are stupid. In order of stupidity:

1) Icing calls while shorthanded -- I can't even put into words how dumb this is.

2) Getting a power play even if you score on the delay -- This essentially makes the penalty a double minor if the team scores on the delay. Why?

3) Stricter contact to the head rules -- I understand protecting players, but making contact to the head an automatic ejection is going too far.

4) Hybrid icing -- If this would be consistently called correctly, I wouldn't mind it, but college hockey refs are far too incompetent to make this rule work.

5) Changing ends before OT -- The NHL does this, so it's not unheard of. I just don't like it.
                    1. Really dumb, I agree.

2. It's different, but if you really think about it why is there no PP now other than we're just used to it that way?

3. Agreed. This might also mean the less severe penalties won't get called, but as you said, refs are incompetent.

4. I like it in principle as well, but it could fail miserably.

5. Why don't you like it? Doesn't make sense to keep playing the same side.
                    Boston University 2009 Champs
                    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                      2. It's different, but if you really think about it why is there no PP now other than we're just used to it that way?
                      With a minor penalty, if a goal is scored, the penalty is over. The infraction has occurred, and a goal was scored. Therefore, the punishment should be over. It doesn't make sense to doubly punish a team that gets scored on after a delayed penalty.

Comment

I just have a feeling that these rules will lead to less upsets. Let's face it when you play a more talented team you are going to commit more penalties. These new rules make penalty killing a lot harder. Is there any way some of the conferences say Hockey East just say to their refs f this allow icing shorthanded.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          With a minor penalty, if a goal is scored, the penalty is over. The infraction has occurred, and a goal was scored. Therefore, the punishment should be over. It doesn't make sense to doubly punish a team that gets scored on after a delayed penalty.
                          Plus, even though you're technically still playing 6-on-6 during the delay (counting goalies), it really is a man advantage once the goalie's pulled. Which is why I said it's like getting a double minor if you score during the delay. If the rule was something like you still get a power play if you score before pulling your goalie, I'd be for it. Or if the rule was you're not allowed to pull your goalie during a delayed penalty, I'd be for it. What I'm not for is pulling the goalie, getting a 6-on-5 set up, scoring and then still getting a power play.

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                          5. Why don't you like it? Doesn't make sense to keep playing the same side.
                          I just personally don't like having the long change during a 5-minute sudden death period. I do like switching sides in the postseason when it's 20-minute continuous OT, however. I'm really not that passionate about this issue, though. If they change it, I'm not gonna get all up in arms.
                          Last edited by Federal League; 06-11-2010, 03:54 PM.
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Also, icing will be called even when a team is shorthanded, a rule change that has been used in USA Hockey Development Camps.
                            I HATE this. The CCHA experimented with it five years ago during exhibition play.

• Goaltenders will change ends between the third period and overtime.
                            For regular season 5 minute OT's?

• The obtainable pass rule was removed.

• Teams will get a power play even if they score during a delayed penalty.
                            This one is quite random.

In all, these changes are a much bigger embarrassment than the CCHA testing the shootout.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              In all, these changes are a much bigger embarrassment than the CCHA testing the shootout.
                              Uh... yyyyyeah... I'm going to have to go ahead and, uh... disagree with you there.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m-JOczlPvz...0/Lumbergh.bmp

Okay, except for the icing thing. That's about the most ridiculous rule suggestion I've ever seen in my life.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                                That icing rule is the stupidest thing ever. Better idea if they want to go this route. When a penalty is called, instead of getting a powerplay, you get a goal.

Teams on the powerplay that ice the puck should be given a 2 minute minor for failing (Tech would be screwed).
                                Agree, it is a stupid rule proposal. You are on the power play, you have an extra guy on the ice. You loose possession, skate back to the other end and start over.

Let's call it Double Jeopardy. After all, you are penalizing and already penalized team for getting the puck.
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X