PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Hockey Summer News

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC/HE
06-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Perhaps with the addition of Niagara and Robert Morris enough interest can be generated for general AHA league thread to keep all teams better informed as to the happenings of all AHA teams without searching for each team.

Northeastern's schedule has been leaked out and a very interesting matchup with Niagara takes place in Hartford's XL Center on November 6. Wonder if a doubleheader is planned as it does not appear to be a tournament? Could it be with a Wolfpack game or a UConn game?

RSTuthill
06-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Northeastern's schedule has been leaked out and a very interesting matchup with Niagara takes place in Hartford's XL Center on November 6.
That is bizarre. More of the hand of Howard Baldwin?

GoNU5
06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Northeastern's schedule has been leaked out and a very interesting matchup with Niagara takes place in Hartford's XL Center on November 6. Wonder if a doubleheader is planned as it does not appear to be a tournament? Could it be with a Wolfpack game or a UConn game?

The NU/NU game will be right before the Whalers/Bruins game.

CornwallAce
06-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I keep wishing AIC would talk with the Falcons and get a Saturday afternoon game at the downtown rink.

When do you think the first Atlantic league schedules will come out? Has the league schedule been made already?

schiegs
06-09-2010, 11:11 PM
The NU/NU game will be right before the Whalers/Bruins game.

Rumor has it that the game will be played on a barge on the Connecticut River, with an intermission performance by Paul Revere and The Raiders. Free balloons for the kids.

CornwallAce
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Rumor has it that the game will be played on a barge on the Connecticut River, with an intermission performance by Paul Revere and The Raiders. Free balloons for the kids.

I'm amazed you haven't talked about the rumor that the game will be held during the intermissions of a pee-wee or squirt game.

Tom Naeger
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm amazed you haven't talked about the rumor that the game will be held during the intermissions of a pee-wee or squirt game.

Well that would be cool as they should have more time to play cause they don't normally resurface the ice at a squirt game :D

mar7967
06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I keep wishing AIC would talk with the Falcons and get a Saturday afternoon game at the downtown rink.

When do you think the first Atlantic league schedules will come out? Has the league schedule been made already?

Of course the league schedule has been made! It has probably been done for weeks (or months even)...

I would expect to start seeing schedules soon. As I recall from last year, they started coming out mid-june, with the last coming at the end of August (but we all knew their schedule by then anyway). I know RIT typically releases theirs during the first week of July.

AFHockeyFan
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Air Force has announced a Sunday night game against Bobby Mo at the Pens new rink. They'll also start against UAA and UAF in the Kendall classic, and host a game with Clarkson.

Also, the DU/CC weekend has been split up into two different weekends.

Has anyone heard how the AHA scheduling will work? I would like to see three "pods" with teams playing each team in their pod home AND away (12 games), and the other eight teams home OR away (16 games) for a total of 28. Three three "pod" winners and one wild card would get the first round byes. The previous format had a LOT of unbalanced schedules.

BC/HE
06-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Has anyone heard how the AHA scheduling will work? I would like to see three "pods" with teams playing each team in their pod home AND away (12 games), and the other eight teams home OR away (16 games) for a total of 28. Three three "pod" winners and one wild card would get the first round byes. The previous format had a LOT of unbalanced schedules.

I like that idea but the natural divisions are 6 East and 6 West. Perhaps they could make it 4 pods of 3 then with the 4 winners getting byes. A 28 game schedule could include the home and home within your pod (8 games) one crossover home and home with the other East or West pod(4 games) and a home or away with the rest(16 games). The crossover team would change each year so that every 3 years it rotates.

kingdobbs
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Air Force has announced a Sunday night game against Bobby Mo at the Pens new rink. They'll also start against UAA and UAF in the Kendall classic, and host a game with Clarkson.

Also, the DU/CC weekend has been split up into two different weekends.

The scuttlebutt I've seen around is that the AHA schedule will be 27 league games, which probably means 3 games vs. your own "division", and 2 games vs. the other (likely not home and homes)

For the sake of future competitive equity, I hope that the divisions are not fixed geographically for eternity, but I assume they will be for a while.

bonas420
06-12-2010, 09:14 PM
It looks like Mercyhurst opens things on 10/2 in Ann Arbor against Michigan (per UM's schedule).

le
06-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Has anybody heard of scholies increasing to 16 over the next three seasons ?
I have heard rumors that the AHA has approved increasing scholarships to 16 during this time frame.

komey1
06-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Has anybody heard of scholies increasing to 16 over the next three seasons ?
I have heard rumors that the AHA has approved increasing scholarships to 16 during this time frame.

Since about half the teams can't/won't offer scholarships, I would be surprised if that happened.

BC/HE
06-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Connecticut's schedule is out and it appears Atlantic Hockey will play 27 league games. 6 of the other 11 twice and 5 teams 3 times splitting between East and West. The article conflicts with the posted schedule as a third game vs. AIC is not listed on November 20th but the article says they play. Also the 3rd Holy Cross game must be the opener of the Connecticut tournament which is unusual.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/061710aaa.html

kingdobbs
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Connecticut's schedule is out and it appears Atlantic Hockey will play 27 league games. 6 of the other 11 twice and 5 teams 3 times splitting between East and West. The article conflicts with the posted schedule as a third game vs. AIC is not listed on November 20th but the article says they play. Also the 3rd Holy Cross game must be the opener of the Connecticut tournament which is unusual.

Unusual for others, but not for UConn. The first round opponent in the UConn Classic has been for the last several years a league opponent, as it allows UConn the latitude to schedule an extra non-conference game that's not part of the tournament (i.e. with only 6 AHA nc-dates available in previous years, and 7 this year, it doesn't lock UConn into two games' worth for the tourney).

Also, as I suspected with Niagara's entering the AHA, they were bounced from this year's Classic lineup (as announced in previous tourney programs) in favor of Bowling Green.

mar7967
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Incoming Sacred Heart defender RJ Boyd was the only AHA player picked in the 2010 NHL Entry draft. Boyd was picked in round 7, 183rd overall, by Florida.

http://www.uscho.com/agate/item,draft10-rounds.html#ixzz0sAhyZpft

Tom Naeger
06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Incoming Sacred Heart defender RJ Boyd was the only AHA player picked in the 2010 NHL Entry draft. Boyd was picked in round 7, 183rd overall, by Florida.

http://www.uscho.com/agate/item,draft10-rounds.html#ixzz0sAhyZpft

That is good for the league, found this article on Boyd...

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jun/28/hockey-former-eels-player-rj-boyd-fort-myers-draft/

AFHockeyFan
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope that the divisions are not fixed geographically for eternity, but I assume they will be for a while.

Air Force's schedule is out, and that's what they went with. (3 vs. "West," 2 vs. "East") The "West" is STACKED!, with the last 4 conference champs and 6 of the last 8, as well as 4 of the top 5 in the final standings. Niagara and Bobby Mo are both solid and probably would have finished ahead of anyone in the "East" last year. Very unbalanced divisions.

Maybe this is Bob's way of keeping the eastern teams competitive?

TigerFan86-87
07-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Air Force's schedule is out, and that's what they went with. (3 vs. "West," 2 vs. "East") The "West" is STACKED!, with the last 4 conference champs and 6 of the last 8, as well as 4 of the top 5 in the final standings. Niagara and Bobby Mo are both solid and probably would have finished ahead of anyone in the "East" last year. Very unbalanced divisions.

Maybe this is Bob's way of keeping the eastern teams competitive?

I think the motivation is completely about cost containment (minimizing travel), or so they say ;) But for AFA, it really doesn't make much difference, does it? Their travel costs are high whether they play all Western or all Eastern teams in this conference. Is that our taxes at work, or are the athletic teams at service academies funded by booster clubs and / or donors?