College Rugby on NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Rugby on NBC

So, you're telling me that rugby can make money on network TV and NCAA hockey can't on cable?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...onship-preview

Discuss...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: College Rugby on NBC

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    So, you're telling me that rugby can make money on network TV and NCAA hockey can't on cable?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...onship-preview

Discuss...
    When Mark Cuban is in the mix, it doesn't need to make money.

And they're going up against MLB on Fox and The Belmont Stakes on ABC today.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
      When Mark Cuban is in the mix, it doesn't need to make money.
      No, I suppose not...
      Originally posted by thebrain View Post
      And they're going up against MLB on Fox and The Belmont Stakes on ABC today.
      I predict a 0.2 for this. It'll be interesting to see what it does pull in though. A sport almost no one knows the rules to and has likely never seen on TV. At least hockey (as a sport) is somewhat familiar to viewers. Heck, even if they don't know all the rules, most know enough of them to get by (how to score a goal, etc.) I mean, all I know of rugby is that they have an over-inflated white football and don't wear helmets.
      Last edited by moose97; 06-05-2010, 09:37 AM.

AHA:
      ECAC:

Comment

I mean, all I know of rugby is that they have an over-inflated white football and don't wear helmets.
        This may be NBC in connection with USA Rugby trying to educate and introduce the casual sports fan to a sport that is not normally seen or talked about in the US.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Plus it's Rugby 7s, not full rugby. Over quicker, they can show more games. Plus it's going to be in the Olympics, so NBC has incentive to hype it.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
            This may be NBC in connection with USA Rugby trying to educate and introduce the casual sports fan to a sport that is not normally seen or talked about in the US.
            Rugby probably has a larger following than NCAA hockey as it is an international sport. More folks I meet know rugby than hockey, but I am in virginia so that might be why.

7's is a good time. I am not surprised it is getting air time. Coming from someone who played for a while, I can tell you its much more demanding than football, soccer or hockey from a physical standpoint.
            "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
              Rugby probably has a larger following than NCAA hockey as it is an international sport. More folks I meet know rugby than hockey, but I am in virginia so that might be why.

7's is a good time. I am not surprised it is getting air time. Coming from someone who played for a while, I can tell you its much more demanding than football, soccer or hockey from a physical standpoint.
              I fully agree with you that rugby has a larger following. Im just saying that a good portion of the country if asked about rugby would not know about it. I enjoy watching it.
              Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Lets not also ignore the fact that many of these schools have huge alumni bases. Much larger than the Top 16 hockey programs.

Comment

No, I suppose not...

I predict a 0.2 for this. It'll be interesting to see what it does pull in though. A sport almost no one knows the rules to and has likely never seen on TV. At least hockey (as a sport) is somewhat familiar to viewers. Heck, even if they don't know all the rules, most know enough of them to get by (how to score a goal, etc.) I mean, all I know of rugby is that they have an over-inflated white football and don't wear helmets.
                  A gentlemens' game ! Don't knock it till you tried it. Hong Kong Sevens also has a huge following

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                    Note I said hockey in general - not just NCAA hockey.

That said, just because rugby is popular internationally doesn't mean that it's popular here. If so, soccer would be a guaranteed ratings bonanza here, yet ESPN plugs the World Cup like it's going out of style and yet their own poll from a few weeks ago showed something like 30-40% of respondants couldn't care less about the event (and another 20-30% said they had a passing interest at best)...

AHA:
                    ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                      A gentlemens' game ! Don't knock it till you tried it. Hong Kong Sevens also has a huge following
                      I'm not knocking it al all! I think it's an interesting sport - I just don't know the rules (heck, I'm facinated with crickett, but haven't a clue how that works either)...

AHA:
                      ECAC:

Comment

Actually rugby is hooligans game played by gentleman. Soccer is a gentlemans game played by hooligans. Just sayin....The USA is defending gold medalists in Rugby.Last time it was played in the Olympics was 1924 as the 15 aside game. It(7's) will be in the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
                        Last edited by Bagman; 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                          Lets not also ignore the fact that many of these schools have huge alumni bases. Much larger than the Top 16 hockey programs.
                          Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dame and Michigan State come to mind, but overall you're probably right.

Comment

...A sport almost no one knows the rules...
                            Rugby has rules?

Comment

I was traveling through the South Pacific a number of years back during the Hong Kong Sevens and when the games were on, everything came to a standstill - think Superbowl-esque. Weird though the games were quick and normal life would resume.

I'd be shocked if it caught on quickly here.

Comment

Working...
                              X