Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver, XXVIII

Depressed bump!
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

Thoughts on the weekend:

1) This BC team we played was just awesome. They are like a machine of consistency. They were better than Denver in every area. DU hasn't been swept at home by a non-conference opponent since 1991.

2) DU played their hearts out last night and I really thought the effort level was great, but is a young DU team that lacks scoring punch. DU had tons of PP chances, but really could not cash in, and that was the difference. Can't blame DU goaltenders this weekend - BC made great shots.

3) Sellout crowds were great and it's too bad DU gave them few moments of celebration. Student turnout was tremendous.

4) The DU band had 50+ players last night (about double the size from last year), and really made a HUGE difference in volume and sound quality. Never seen it so big. One fan turned to me during a stirring rendition of the national anthem and said "That brought a tear to my eye". The fight song sounded amazing too with that many players. Let's hope DU can keep that up - as it brings a real collegiate feel to the arena. Good to see DU listening to suggestions.

5) Being on campus for much of the homecoming yesterday was just great. Perfect weather, lots of sporting events going on, lots of pre-game action and campus looked idyllic. Perhaps next year, we should schedule an opponent for homecoming that isn't a top ranked, defending national champion with most of it's team intact...

Comment

I suspect, knowing DU, that they will continue to improve throughout the season and will most likely be a very different team by Feb/March. It is unbelievable to me how much DU lost after last season, and how much talent they still have.

Watching Friday's game looked just like what BC did last year, taking good teams and just completely outclassing them. BC is deadly, and I believe they are, and will continue to be, heads and shoulders above the rest of the nation. They seem to be clicking already, and given the history of Jerry York's teams, they will only get better and better.

All I can say is that I'm glad CC doesn't play them this year, because I would expect a very similar result to what happened this weekend. Although, that said, given their ridiculous speed, I would LOVE to watch BC play a weekend on the big ice. Too bad UNH is the only HEA team who plays on that surface.
        Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
        -dggoddard

Comment

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you"- Woody Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            4) The DU band had 50+ players last night (about double the size from last year), and really made a HUGE difference in volume and sound quality. Never seen it so big. One fan turned to me during a stirring rendition of the national anthem and said "That brought a tear to my eye". The fight song sounded amazing too with that many players. Let's hope DU can keep that up - as it brings a real collegiate feel to the arena. Good to see DU listening to suggestions.
            Rycroft was singing the DU fight song on the internet last night during one of the the commercial breaks. Great stuff!
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
              Rycroft was singing the DU fight song on the internet last night during one of the the commercial breaks. Great stuff!
              Next weekend we can all sing along!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSf3xzzWtaI

Saturday night,
              Rhett Rakhshani got his first goal for Bridgeport of the AHL, unfortunately they lost the game 2-1.
              Marc Cheverie got his first win for the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL-4-3 in OT.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

He was frustrated by two things, the PP and Donovan's play. He was just exasperated that with the huge PP differential, DU was unable to score. As he saw it, because "we were trying to do too much." Too many passes. Too cute, etc. Donovan, in his mind, was also "trying to do too much." Mark's criticism was based, he said, on Donovan's tremendous ability and the need for him to play it straight and not try to carry the team. At one point Rycroft preceded his criticism (of the PP, I believe) by saying: "Nobody loves the University of Denver more than I do, but. . ." He's not afraid to criticize when the Pioneers need it. That's good for us at home, particularly when that which he's criticizing (PP) is like an elephant in the living room.

Terrific to hear him singing the "D-Rah." Attaboy.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Rock got his 2nd goal with the Sound Tigers this afternoon in Bridgeport's 4-1 win over Kevin Dineen's Portland Pirates. He scored the 2nd goal of the game which was the eventual game winner.

Joe Colborne has had a bit of a slow start for the Providence Bruins with 1 assist in 5 games and is -2.

Tyler Ruegsegger was released from his contract with Greenville in the ECHL.
                  Last edited by du78; 10-17-2010, 08:06 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Sam Brittain after last night's game.

******* width="640" height="390">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzUFLezXfPA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzUFLezXfPA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

Comment

That guy bleeds Crimson and Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
                        I suspect, knowing DU, that they will continue to improve throughout the season and will most likely be a very different team by Feb/March. It is unbelievable to me how much DU lost after last season, and how much talent they still have.

Watching Friday's game looked just like what BC did last year, taking good teams and just completely outclassing them. BC is deadly, and I believe they are, and will continue to be, heads and shoulders above the rest of the nation. They seem to be clicking already, and given the history of Jerry York's teams, they will only get better and better.

All I can say is that I'm glad CC doesn't play them this year, because I would expect a very similar result to what happened this weekend. Although, that said, given their ridiculous speed, I would LOVE to watch BC play a weekend on the big ice. Too bad UNH is the only HEA team who plays on that surface.
                        you may be surprised at BC's record on the big sheet in Durham, NH(Whittemore Center only)........they have pretty much owned us up there ........something like 5-20 or thereabouts

Comment

While the Denver Post's Mike Chambers correctly points to Denver's power play as problematic, I think the poor PP is symptomatic of a larger issue - a lack of scoring from the senior class. Through the first four games, DU's senior leaders (K. Ostrow (-1), Martin (-3), and Maiani (-4)) have scored exactly once between the three of them. Add in the fact that DU's two serious offense recruits, Zucker and Bennett haven't scored yet, and you have the recipe for offensive struggle against good teams. Denver needs its seniors to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            While the Denver Post's Mike Chambers correctly points to Denver's power play as problematic, I think the poor PP is symptomatic of a larger issue - a lack of scoring from the senior class. Through the first four games, DU's senior leaders (K. Ostrow (-1), Martin (-3), and Maiani (-4)) have scored exactly once between the three of them. Add in the fact that DU's two serious offense recruits, Zucker and Bennett haven't scored yet, and you have the recipe for offensive struggle against good teams. Denver needs its seniors to step up.
                            Certainly can't disagree that the PP was abyssmal.
                            Bennett may be on the Colborne learning curve. Zucker had more presence on the ice, just couldn't get it in the net. A goal or two from Makowski wouldn't hurt.
                            I can rationalize Maiani not scoring as he was playing out of position this weekend. He is far more dangerous on the wing. That said the seniors need to lead and score!

Get Well Dusty!
                            Heal quickly Nick Shore!
                            When (win) for Wrenn?
                            Welcome back Salazar. Bring on the Goal Czar.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Swami: I'd say it's more like a recipe for offensive disaster! Though I am chalking up this weekend to not being ready to play at the level of the seasoned national champions. Hopefully we'll be able to skate with a team like BC by the end of the season. In the meantime, you're right that the seniors need to pick it up. 1 goal from our top 3 offensive players in 4 games is concerning, to say the least.

Comment

I wanted share a few thoughts on school spirit improvements at DU in the last five years - we've made some real progress and while we still have a long way to go, here is look at what's been accomplished since then:

Five Years Ago......................Today
                                Ruckus the hated bird............Boone the loved Pioneer
                                No Pep Band.........................50 Strong Pep Band
                                Fight Song rare.....................Fight song now well-known on campus, sung at games and taught at orientation
                                No Cheerleaders....................Cheerleaders at selected games
                                No on campus pre-game.........DUGS Free Food/Beer Garden
                                No unnoficial online presence....One of the best blogs in the sport (Let's go DU)
                                Bad homecoming parade..........Decent homecoming parade
                                Little student senate support....Way more student senate support
                                Lack of DU-themed bars..........Two new dedicated DU bars (C&G and the Pioneer)
                                Lack of DU arena display.........New DU history mural on South Wall
                                No ticket campout.................Successful ticket campout
                                Facist ushers........................Much more tolerant ushers
                                No student rally point.............New Student Courtyard

The point is that a lot of hard work is starting to pay off. DU is listening and implementing many suggestions from passionate students, alumni and fans.

We still have a long way to go, but it's important to realize the changes that have already happened. DU is much more spirited place than it used to be, and it will continue to build as long as we keep developing it.
                                Last edited by Puck Swami; 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X