X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver, XXVIII

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Here is the link when it becomes available. You can also download the last 3 year's guides.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=204948871
    Thanks. It just won't be the same (the eternal cry from yours truly).
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Swami can probably give us more info on this trend (Erich referred to new NC$$ regulations). For sure the NC$$ has been micro-managing media guides for years now, so if they're pushing schools to "go green," it wouldn't surprise me.
      It's not really about going green, which is more of a secondary benefit, but the NCAA uses it a reason for the rule.

It's much more about saving the green, as in the multiple thousands of printing costs that are better spent on other things. Additionally, it also prevents the mini-arms race of schools doing all color, hard-back, 600-page monsters in football and basketball.

I like the paper guides, but I will adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        It's not really about going green, which is more of a secondary benefit, but the NCAA uses it a reason for the rule.

It's much more about saving the green, as in the multiple thousands of printing costs that are better spent on other things. Additionally, it also prevents the mini-arms race of schools doing all color, hard-back, 600-page monsters in football and basketball.

I like the paper guides, but I will adjust.
        One time in the AF I got a copy of the Grambling media guide in Goose Bay, Labrador. Now that's an extensive mailing list. Somebody assigned there ahead of me got a copy of their book and they just kept on sending 'em.

It was always a fun time of year in newsrooms to have the NFL and NC$$ media guides arrive.

Comment

One time in the AF I got a copy of the Grambling media guide in Goose Bay, Labrador. Now that's an extensive mailing list. Somebody assigned there ahead of me got a copy of their book and they just kept on sending 'em.

It was always a fun time of year in newsrooms to have the NFL and NC$$ media guides arrive.
          In the AF, and stationed in Goose Bay!, now THAT is a good reason to be crabby. Almost as bad as being in Minot or some other godforsaken place, like the Calumet radar station or Bien Hoa. Pio, you give crabbyness such flavor. It's like you savor it before it comes out. Quite entertaining really.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            In the AF, and stationed in Goose Bay!, now THAT is a good reason to be crabby. Almost as bad as being in Minot or some other godforsaken place, like the Calumet radar station or Bien Hoa. Pio, you give crabbyness such flavor. It's like you savor it before it comes out. Quite entertaining really.
            Actually being assigned to CFLA-TV at Goose AB was (apart from the weather) a wonderful assignment. The TV station was licensed to the CBC, we had a civilian CBC station manager, which means we had two chains of command to play off against each other.

Some of us, including me, got paid by the CBC for performing various programs. I actually had to file Canadian income tax forms, and got an actual Canadian tax refund. How many GI's get paid by foreign governments for doing their jobs?

The TV station was located in the basement of a two story building which housed DOD school teachers (the base had a high school) who were mostly paid at the GS 10 and above level. And wouldn't you know it, here are all of these lonely, well paid women living just one floor above us. I have never had it so good, ever.

Finally, since we appeared on TV that was watched by both Canadian civilians as well as GI's, we wore civilian clothes all the time. All the time. I wore my uni exactly twice--flying in and flying out. I had a single room and a Canadian Bell 'phone which kept me connected to the world.

If I'm truly crabby (I think the jury's out on that one) it's absolutely not because I was at Goose. We had Canadian cabbies (with the dispatch office on base) who would take you anywhere for 50 cents a head. To the NCO club, 50 cents, back from the NCO club, 50 cents. BTW, the NCO club had a band 7 days a week, two bands on weekends (gotta have a country group for the lifers). And a food delivery service. Didn't much affect me, but if you're working overnight at Base Ops, it was certainly wonderful to be able to order a pizza or burger or some fried chicken and have it delivered.

If I'd been sent to Nam, AFVN was headquartered in a hotel in Saigon. Some injuries for falling off bar stools and some esorteric STDs, otherwise probably less danger than working in any number of American cities.

Now the weather there could be a challenge. Lowest actual temp I can remember, -37, with a wind chill equivalent of -100! That's chilly. I knew some guys who worked flight line security with their M-16s and dogs and I KNOW they'd shoot you in the azz. Anything to warm up inside, filling out forms.

Bien Hua doesn't sound like a destination I'd put down on my dream sheet. I had a buddy assigned to Shimya (sp) the "black pearl of the Aleutians" No thanks.

In sum, the attitude is mine and not related to my service. I actually had an outstanding tour: 2 long TDYs to Japan, a long TDY to Germany and a PCS to Japan. There are lots of guys who spend a career in the AF and never get to go to Germany or Japan, let alone both. I should be embarrassed, but I'm not.

Comment

Actually being assigned to CFLA-TV at Goose AB was (apart from the weather) a wonderful assignment. The TV station was licensed to the CBC, we had a civilian CBC station manager, which means we had two chains of command to play off against each other.

Some of us, including me, got paid by the CBC for performing various programs. I actually had to file Canadian income tax forms, and got an actual Canadian tax refund. How many GI's get paid by foreign governments for doing their jobs?

The TV station was located in the basement of a two story building which housed DOD school teachers (the base had a high school) who were mostly paid at the GS 10 and above level. And wouldn't you know it, here are all of these lonely, well paid women living just one floor above us. I have never had it so good, ever.

Finally, since we appeared on TV that was watched by both Canadian civilians as well as GI's, we wore civilian clothes all the time. All the time. I wore my uni exactly twice--flying in and flying out. I had a single room and a Canadian Bell 'phone which kept me connected to the world.

If I'm truly crabby (I think the jury's out on that one) it's absolutely not because I was at Goose. We had Canadian cabbies (with the dispatch office on base) who would take you anywhere for 50 cents a head. To the NCO club, 50 cents, back from the NCO club, 50 cents. BTW, the NCO club had a band 7 days a week, two bands on weekends (gotta have a country group for the lifers). And a food delivery service. Didn't much affect me, but if you're working overnight at Base Ops, it was certainly wonderful to be able to order a pizza or burger or some fried chicken and have it delivered.

If I'd been sent to Nam, AFVN was headquartered in a hotel in Saigon. Some injuries for falling off bar stools and some esorteric STDs, otherwise probably less danger than working in any number of American cities.

Now the weather there could be a challenge. Lowest actual temp I can remember, -37, with a wind chill equivalent of -100! That's chilly. I knew some guys who worked flight line security with their M-16s and dogs and I KNOW they'd shoot you in the azz. Anything to warm up inside, filling out forms.

Bien Hua doesn't sound like a destination I'd put down on my dream sheet. I had a buddy assigned to Shimya (sp) the "black pearl of the Aleutians" No thanks.

In sum, the attitude is mine and not related to my service. I actually had an outstanding tour: 2 long TDYs to Japan, a long TDY to Germany and a PCS to Japan. There are lots of guys who spend a career in the AF and never get to go to Germany or Japan, let alone both. I should be embarrassed, but I'm not.
              Interesting. I played the golf course at Goose once. it had 20 x 20 concrete greens covered with astro turf. Thin astro turf. That was interesting. The temp the day I played was about 38 degrees. Unfortunately no school teachers showed up.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Interesting. I played the golf course at Goose once. it had 20 x 20 concrete greens covered with astro turf. Thin astro turf. That was interesting. The temp the day I played was about 38 degrees. Unfortunately no school teachers showed up.
                I'm not a golfer, but 38 at Goose was short sleeve weather. Concrete greens, eh? I'll bet the pill would roll and roll and roll. They also had 3 "survival" camps located off base, allegedly to teach people survival skills. They were actually just fishing camps, to which everyone on base had access. Run by a CMS who was really nothing more than a fishing guide. I mean, I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but shouldn't the fishing be pretty good at a camp that's only accessable by air? That's what I thought.

Remember the scene in the first Airport movie where Lancaster's gonna have the Conga line push the disabled jetliner out of the way? Well, that was snow removal at Goose. Two teams, one to keep the flight line open. The other to keep the alert route open. Those bad boys would come downhill from Base Ops, wheel to wheel three or four abreast, the giant auger type, and you'd better not be in their way. All Canadian crews. This was a SAC base at the time, supporting KC-135s, and those planes were gonna fly, period.

Unlike most AFRTS stations that only broadcast a few hours in the evenings, CFLA, as a CBC station, broadcast 160-170 hours a week and we only had 9 fulltime. Every so often the base First Shirt would get a bee in his bonnet about those dudes who wore civilian clothes all the time, and he'd schedule us for base detail. We'd tell the Canadian GM, he'd call the base commander and let him know his dog was off leash again, and that was the end of it. Nice. We were also the only non hosital personnel authorized to eat in the hospital dining room, several orders of magnitude better than the other chow halls.

As I say, apart from the weather, which you sort of got used to, Goose was a great assignment. I mean, 18 months in Tokyo was pretty sweet, too.

Comment

Pioneer Vision is located on the front page of www.DenverPioneers.com and is subscription based. Pioneer Vision costs $8.95 monthly or $59.95 for the entire 2010-11 sports calendar. In addition, Pioneer Vision subscribers will be able to watch the Pioneers in select road contests.

Fans subscribing to Pioneer Vision now through Oct. 15 will receive a 20% discount on an annual subscription.

2010-11 Pioneer Vision Hockey Schedule

Date, Opponent, Time

Sat., Oct. 16, Boston College, 7 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 23, Wisconsin, 7 p.m.

Fri., Oct. 29, at North Dakota, 6:30 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 30 at North Dakota, 6 p.m.

Fri., Nov. 12, Minnesota State, 7:30 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 13, Minnesota State, 7 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 20, Bemidji State, 7 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 27, Air Force, 7 p.m.

Sat., Jan. 1, Northern Michigan, 7 p.m.

Sat., March 5, St. Cloud State, 7 p.m.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    Pioneer Vision is located on the front page of www.DenverPioneers.com and is subscription based. Pioneer Vision costs $8.95 monthly or $59.95 for the entire 2010-11 sports calendar. In addition, Pioneer Vision subscribers will be able to watch the Pioneers in select road contests.

Fans subscribing to Pioneer Vision now through Oct. 15 will receive a 20% discount on an annual subscription.

2010-11 Pioneer Vision Hockey Schedule

Date, Opponent, Time

Sat., Oct. 16, Boston College, 7 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 23, Wisconsin, 7 p.m.

Fri., Oct. 29, at North Dakota, 6:30 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 30 at North Dakota, 6 p.m.

Fri., Nov. 12, Minnesota State, 7:30 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 13, Minnesota State, 7 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 20, Bemidji State, 7 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 27, Air Force, 7 p.m.

Sat., Jan. 1, Northern Michigan, 7 p.m.

Sat., March 5, St. Cloud State, 7 p.m.
                    I'd like to thank Fox Rocky Mountain for decreasing the number of games they are broadcasting because it seems Pioneer Vision has picked up the slack. Although there is a pretty big gap from January to March

Does CC ever televise their games? Fox broadcasts the game at Magness, but does anyone air the ones from the Springs?
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Additional TV games I found

Oct 29 & 30 at UND - FCS (Fox College Sports), games are also videocast on Pioneer Vision

Feb 4 at CC - CBS College Sports

Minnesota has not announced their FSN North TV schedule. Good chance that DU's games at Minneapolis will be on FSN North and FCS

Versus, NHL Network and ESPNU haven't announced their college hockey schedules yet

That leaves these series/games right now with no TV or Pioneer Vison Video

Oct 8 & 9 at UVM

Nov 6 at CC

Dec 3 & 4 at UMD

Dec 10 & 11 at UAA (Good chance the online video from Alaska on GCI will be available for free)

Jan 14 & 15 at MSUM

Feb 11 & 12 at Minnesota (see above)

Feb 25 & 26 at UNO

The audiocast at Pioneer Vision is available for all games as well as local radio in Denver on 87.7 The Ticket

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        Does CC ever televise their games? Fox broadcasts the game at Magness, but does anyone air the ones from the Springs?
                        Some of the home games used to be on one of local cable channels down here but not anymore. The only games that are on is when DU comes down and when Minnesota or UND are in town.

Comment

Attention listeners of 87.7,The Ticket, and PioneerVision

In preparation for tomorrow night's game, please get your scorecard out for "Jayisms".

Flying solo _____
                          Flying solo without a net ______
                          Most dangerous lead in hockey _______
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

In preparation for tomorrow night's game, please get your scorecard out for "Jayisms".

Flying solo _____
                            You are assuming Jay will be in mid-season form. It might take him a few games to bring it.

Comment

DU Media Guide now available on-line.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=204948871

Downloaded, printed and bound
                              Last edited by du78; 10-07-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Flying solo _____
                                i thought it was
                                The most dangerous lead in college hockey
                                I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Working...
                                X