• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Soccer XIII: Through the Group Stages

Should last us that long.

Go England!
    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Re: World Soccer XIII: Through the Group Stages

Not WC related, but ESPN has a great article up on the rise and evolution of MLS youth academies and the changing philosophy of youth talent development in the US:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

The vision of a full-blown youth academy had been born from a realization that the areas abutting Washington were abundant in young soccer talent. "It's a hotbed here in D.C.," says Onalfo. "It was just a matter of getting them the right training and the right coaching."

D.C. United president Kevin Payne, who chaired a U.S. Soccer task force on player development some years ago, refers to the academy approach as an "intervention."

"A lot of research showed that a lot of the best young soccer players in America were playing way too many games -- in many instances over 100 a year -- and way too many of those games were not of very high quality," he says. "We had our ratio of training time to games inverted to the rest of the world. Countries that are really great at developing players routinely try to establish an average of four- or five-to-one ratio of training time to game time. And we were the opposite. We had to turn that on its head."

In its zeal to create better soccer prospects, the youth soccer community in the U.S. had crammed more and more games and tournaments into tight schedules, leaving little time for the necessary repetitions that might not come in a game but that are fundamental to the pursuit of professional-grade skills. Youth soccer, the task force decided, had to be brought back to basics: lots of practice interspersed with a few good games against quality opposition.

The benefits to being brought up in-house by a pro team are many. "The players get exposed to pro culture," says Payne. Any D.C. United academy player can walk into RFK for free on game days. They're encouraged to attend as many games as possible, to come down to the field to watch warm-ups, to come see the locker room and get a feel for the atmosphere. This spring, the Chicago Fire brought their entire U-18 and U-16 teams to Guadalajara, Mexico, and Jackson, Miss., respectively, during their season preparations.

What's more, young teenagers don't have to be uprooted to pursue their professional aspirations. Santino Quaranta, a United winger from Baltimore, shipped off to the U.S. U-17 residency program in Florida, before turning pro at 16. "We had to go off to Bradenton and other places," Quaranta, now 25, says of his generation of prospects. "It's great to be able to stay at home, at your own high school here and train with the professionals."
    One thing of note - these kids that United has signed all grew up watching MLS - this is the first generation that's actually had a domestic league to grow up with.

While the national team only has a handful of current MLS players, it has a whole bunch with MLS ties.
    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

The SI cover for next week features Donovan, Howard and Dempsey with a World Cup preview. The image itself is not online yet.

Comment

The article is right on from my perspective. Problem is, the clubs make money off of those tournaments/leagues and many that didn't get into the USSF academy program are fighting the changes.

I've seen clubs force out coaches who subscribe to what is in the article...inexperienced parents want to see Jimmy playing for a plastic trophy every few months and are only happy if they are playing every weekend year-round.

My son was fortunate to get involved with a coach that actually had them take a full year off from leagues and just train. When they played the next year parents from other teams would come up and compliment them on playing real soccer, not glorified kickball. He is a far better player than he would have been if the goal was to win the columbus day tournament vs. developing skills.

The MLS academy in Philly is a great program, designed to develop the player appropriately.
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
          Not WC related, but ESPN has a great article up on the rise and evolution of MLS youth academies and the changing philosophy of youth talent development in the US:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

One thing of note - these kids that United has signed all grew up watching MLS - this is the first generation that's actually had a domestic league to grow up with.

While the national team only has a handful of current MLS players, it has a whole bunch with MLS ties.
          The club run developmental teams are a good addition to the USL's PDL, the PDL lets college age kids, and some older play over the summer. There's been a couple graduates of the PDL in the MLS this year, most notably, my favorite new MLS player, Tim Ream .

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            The SI cover for next week features Donovan, Howard and Dempsey with a World Cup preview. The image itself is not online yet.
            There it is.
            http://twitpic.com/1t1g56

As for Walcott being left out of the England team, I see Fabio's point. He's had a subpar season, and hasn't exactly torn it up for England as of late either. However, whatever point Fabio was making by leaving Walcott out is scuppered by including SWP instead. Another player who had a below par season (couldn't even get in the Man City squad in the 2nd half of the season).

Comment

There is this love affair with SWP that every England coach has and I cannot understand it.

To put it simply he sucks. He's had horrible form all year and hasn't played well for England in ages.

Also I feel bad for Dawson as I think he is far superior to Upson and didn't even get a single minute to show what he can do.
              Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM.
              Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

I know this will make many people happy here:

http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves

SoccerByIves

Italy named its World Cup team, and Giuseppe Rossi is not on it.
                HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Suck it, Joe Red. Keep your bag of silver, too.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Suck it, Joe Red. Keep your bag of silver, too.
                    Would Rossi have definitely made the US team?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Would Rossi have definitely made the US team?
                      Easily. 100% lock.

Comment

Whoops.

*****http://i50.tinypic.com/dwp6ye.jpg******
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

With the Rossi cut and the Dos Santos brothers fiasco the week has gotten off to great start

Comment

Maybe if he asks really nicely, Rossi can play soccer for the US at the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                              Easily. 100% lock.
                              Well then. I guess it's poetic justice.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X