PDA

View Full Version : Not Another NCAA Video Game Thread

BlueDevilRadio
05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Why is it "Not Another"? Looks like it may finally happen, just not with their own title. Integration with the EA Sports's NHL title seems likely, and correct way to go about it.

I guess the inclusion of the CHL really tee'd the NCAA into wanting to throw their hat in the ring. All this is good news for fans of the NHL title from EA Sports. Should really add depth to some of the game modes like "GM Mode".

http://kotaku.com/5548672/ncaa-hockey-might-join-eas-nhl-title

kylemiller
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
so if im reading this right there gonna try and do a college hockey gme itself or are they just gonna add it in the nhl game

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
so if im reading this right there gonna try and do a college hockey gme itself or are they just gonna add it in the nhl game

It looks like this article is discussing the possibility of adding it along with the NHL game. However, this is a discussion that pops up every year, and never turns out to be more than pure rumor. Yes, this article has quotes from a few people likely to be "in the know" (assuming these quotes are actually taken from the cited sources and the intent of the quote is as it is implied), but I still don't see anything in this article that tells me "WOW! It's actually going to happen this time!". There are a number of obstacles. I'd also like to say that, if this were to actually happen, this would very likely turn out to be la "NCAA Football"... in that schools, stadiums, and mascots are all there... but the names of real players, and I believe coaches, would not. In NCAA Football, the default lineups for every team include people whose names are somewhat along the lines of "[school name]QB#10"... and that is also true of the school/NCAA "record books". Although franchise modes, with in-season and off-season recruiting of computer-generated PSAs, is enjoyable AND (after 4 seasons) everybody has a name!

Bottom line: I still don't think this will happen, but if it does it will only be a part of the NHL EA Sports Franchise, not as a standalone game. Possibly the ability to play as a game mode, but more likely just as a new, more sophisticated, scouting/drafting feature. And I'm sure it will be horribly unrealistic. You'll see in game simulations results of epic upset calibre on a weekly basis, you'll see unnamed players (giving the impression of an unfinished game), and every conference will determine standings (including tiebreakers) in EXACTLY the same way (because EA Sports is lazy like that). If it happens, i will most certainly be buying it because it IS still "NCAA Hockey", no matter the quality of the product. But I will do so knowing that any expectations I may have will be unmet.

norm1909
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM
The interview with Paul Kelly (http://www.playcollegehockey.com/news/2009-10/November_2009/Kelly_Release.pdf?dec=) can be heard on the podcast here (http://www.theteam1260.com/sound_bytes/view/session/may_25th_2010/983/) (the reference the EA Sports game is in Hour 1 at about 42:15). Sounds good to me.

osuhockeyfan
05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a buddy that works over at Activision as a developer, I can ask him if he's heard anything floating around the video game world about this.

BlueDevilRadio
05-28-2010, 01:00 PM
You're correct that there is no formal announcement. Paul Kelly is in charge of marketing NCAA hockey. He's a reliable source. Now that the CHL has a contract with EA to be included, the NCAA has finally piped up an said, "hey, we want in too!". Everything else before this has been blogger speculation and whining. This seems much more definitive, and it makes sense because of the CHL deal.

joecct
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
If, in GM Mode, you move a player from school A to school B, does he have to sit out??

NUProf
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
If, in GM Mode, you move a player from school A to school B, does he have to sit out??

Are CHL players banned from NCAA play?

joecct
05-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Are CHL players banned from NCAA play?They'd be up to the NECk in trouble if they tried. :)

MountieBoyOz
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
With the news coming from Kelly, I think there is a ray of hope coming. I do wish it would get it's own title, but some college hockey is better than NO college hoceky.