Clear All

• Comparing NCAA Hockey with NCAA Baseball Attendance

Interesting numbers to compare.

College Hockey attendance here:
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

College Baseball attendance here:
    http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/n...attendance.pdf

Re: Comparing NCAA Hockey with NCAA Baseball Attendance

BU clearly draws more for hockey than they do for baseball and football combined... Impressive!
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Interesting numbers to compare.

College Hockey attendance here:
      http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

College Baseball attendance here:
      http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/n...attendance.pdf
      Interesting. Hockey edges slightly higher, but with far fewer home games (16-20 games compared to southern baseball schools getting 25-30+).

Interesting outliers, too - Wisconsin had the Camp Randall outdoor game, while Minnesota and Louisiana Tech had their 'preview' game at Target Field.

32 baseball games with more than 10k in attendance. Of those, 1 was the Target Field game. Only 4 of those were games other than @LSU - and one of them was an LSU road trip (LSU @ Ole Miss).

Would be interesting to see a capacity analysis...
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Score one for the good guys!

Also:

You're welcome.

Signed,

Wisconsin, North Dakota and Minnesota
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          BU clearly draws more for hockey than they do for baseball and football combined... Impressive!
          Well BU had as many home games make the list of the ~800 highest attended baseball games this year as BC did

Comment

OK - good point, Sean!

Here are home numbers for baseball (09):

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...attendance.pdf

Not a huge difference.

The WCHA is very similar to SEC baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
              Interesting. Hockey edges slightly higher, but with far fewer home games (16-20 games compared to southern baseball schools getting 25-30+).

Interesting outliers, too - Wisconsin had the Camp Randall outdoor game, while Minnesota and Louisiana Tech had their 'preview' game at Target Field.

32 baseball games with more than 10k in attendance. Of those, 1 was the Target Field game. Only 4 of those were games other than @LSU - and one of them was an LSU road trip (LSU @ Ole Miss).

Would be interesting to see a capacity analysis...
              Course, last year the Nebraska-Creighton game at Rosenblatt in May that usually draws 15000+ got rained out.

This year both teams really, really suck, but I think it still got 10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                OK - good point, Sean!

Here are home numbers for baseball (09):

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...attendance.pdf

Not a huge difference.

The WCHA is very similar to SEC baseball.
                somwhow, I get the feeling it costs a lot more to buy a regular season ticket to see a Minnesota hockey game, than to see a LSU baseball game.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  somwhow, I get the feeling it costs a lot more to buy a regular season ticket to see a Minnesota hockey game, than to see a LSU baseball game.
                  $5 for kids, and $10 or $15 per game for LSU... Of course, they also had 37 home games compared to 19 Gopher hockey home games.
                  Last edited by moose97; 05-26-2010, 08:40 AM.
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

40 of the 58 D1 hockey teams averaged 2,000+ fans per game. Only 29 of the 301 D1 baseball teams averaged 2,000+. 12 hockey teams averaged 5,000+, while only 6 baseball teams did.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Nice to see we still do better than a couple NHL teams.
                      http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Comment

I am guessing that the RIT games at the BCA do not count on this.

Comment

I'd be curious if hockey outdraws lacrosse and women's basketball as well...
                          Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                            I'd be curious if hockey outdraws lacrosse and women's basketball as well...
                            It does outdraw lax: http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=15477

The very top compares favorably to women's bball, but women's bball runs away with it after that: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weekly...BBattend1.html (Note: For some reason, half the w. bball page is white. Just keep scrolling. You'll get to numbers eventually.)
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                              The very top compares favorably to women's bball, but women's bball runs away with it after that: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weekly...BBattend1.html (Note: For some reason, half the w. bball page is white. Just keep scrolling. You'll get to numbers eventually.)
                              Well, if you follow this logic:
                              Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                              40 of the 58 D1 hockey teams averaged 2,000+ fans per game. Only 29 of the 301 D1 baseball teams averaged 2,000+. 12 hockey teams averaged 5,000+, while only 6 baseball teams did.
                              Then only 66 of the 338 are over 2,000 per game. Even if you extend to those over 1,000, the fugure increases to 132 of the 338. So:

69% of Hockey teams are over 2,000 per game (86% over 1,000 - 21% over 5,000)
                              10% of Baseball teams are over 2,000 (don't have all listed over 1,000 - 2% are over 5,000)
                              20% of Women's Basketball are over 2,000 (39% over 1,000 - 4% over 2,000)
                              17% of lax are over 2,000 (don't have all listed over 1,000 - 5% over 5,000)

Seems to me Hockey wins big on all accounts...
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                              X