Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Stout offseason thread

Originally posted by ultahockey View Post
    Rumor has it a couple Stout players were involved in a confrontation at a bar last night. Someone ended up at the hospital. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    Nothing official yet, just rumors. It is an interesting situation right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz62 View Post
      Nothing official yet, just rumors. It is an interesting situation right now.
      I have received confirmation. I won't name names, or go into great detail until "official" word is released, but it was a recent member of the hockey team involved in the accident. Very unfortunate.

Keeping all those involved in our prayers.

http://wcco.com/local/biker.injured....2.1919562.html

Comment

Originally posted by ultahockey View Post
        I have received confirmation. I won't name names, or go into great detail until "official" word is released, but it was a recent member of the hockey team involved in the accident. Very unfortunate.

Keeping all those involved in our prayers.

http://wcco.com/local/biker.injured....2.1919562.html
        I'll echo Fritz62 by saying there are rumors flying around that are just ridiculous.

I don't want to comment on any details out of respect for the Simon family and what they are currently going through. However, the incident that resulted in the injury to Bradley is NOT a hockey team involved incident.

We are all praying and thinking about Brad and everyone involved. It's an extremely unfortunate situation.
        WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
        NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
        WIAC Championships: 10-11
        NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
        NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Not a hockey team event, but certainly involving a couple of players not thinking.

http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/103664869.html
          Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
          2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
          2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
          Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
            I'll echo Fritz62 by saying there are rumors flying around that are just ridiculous.

I don't want to comment on any details out of respect for the Simon family and what they are currently going through. However, the incident that resulted in the injury to Bradley is NOT a hockey team involved incident.

We are all praying and thinking about Brad and everyone involved. It's an extremely unfortunate situation.
            How is this not a hockey related incident??

I mean, it didn't happen at a practice, but it's not like it had nothing to do with members of the team.

FROM UW-STOUT:

Chancellor releases statement in wake of student death, arrests of students

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
            Sept. 23, 2010

Menomonie, Wis. --- University of Wisconsin-Stout Chancellor Charles W. Sorensen released the following statement today concerning the arrests of two students as a result of the death of UW-Stout student Bradley L. Simon:

Our prayers and hearts go out to the family and friends of Bradley Simon. The welfare of his family is first and foremost with everyone at UW-Stout right now. We are doing everything possible to help his family.

I was severely disappointed today to hear about the alleged behavior that led to the charges brought against two UW-Stout students, one who has played for our hockey team for three years and one who was recruited to play for the team.

I cannot comment on the specifics of the case. The Menomonie Police Department, assisted by our campus police department, has done a remarkable job in investigating the incident. We have been kept informed of the major developments as they affected UW-Stout, and I have directed everyone on campus to give the investigators their full cooperation.

Here are the steps I am taking light of today’s developments:

I have instructed the Dean of Students to take strong and appropriate student disciplinary action in this case.
            We will study the results of the police investigation and use that and other information in determining the status of individual hockey players.
            We will continue to press for solutions to high risk alcohol use, which will require the involvement of the student body, faculty, staff and the community.
            This is a tragedy for everyone involved. Obviously, the Simon family will be affected forever. We have two other students who face serious legal consequences. Our hockey team’s reputation is at stake as well.

We are vitally concerned for the health and safety of all of our students, faculty and staff. UW-Stout has zero tolerance for behavior that causes harm to self or other members of our community.

(Editors: Jedidiah McGlasson is a freshman from Kenai, Alaska, majoring in engineering technology. He is a hockey recruit. Jared Britton is a senior from Regina, Saskatchewan, majoring in manufacturing engineering. He has played three years for the hockey team. UW-Stout will not have further comment on this case at this time because the Menomonie Police Department has not completed its investigation.)

Comment

...just.... Wow.

My deepest condolences to the Simon family.

I wish had something more creative, inspiring, or thoughtful to say, but... wow.

Comment

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/103673889.html

Comment

Condolences to the Simon Family. For someone to die so young is always a tragedy.

It's unfortunate that this ended up being related to the hockey team (a couple players being at the center of this). They did what they did, although I will wait for the investigation and trial to determine what that was, as the law of the land is still "innocent until proven guilty". Once their actions, and guilt, have been determined in court, the punishment should be an appropriate one under the law, for the sake of the everyone involved.

I just hope, for everyone's sake, that this investigation doesn't prove too much a distraction for the team in this last month before the season - an important time of year for a hockey program.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by altazo
                    At this point, who cares about the hockey team?

Lesser incidents have ended programs all together...
                    I'm aware. And of course, concern for the Simon family and the proper punishment of guilty parties trumps any concern for a hockey team, but I think it important to at least recognize that the team stands to be lesser victims in this matter as well. Distraction due to the investigation, the possibility that many of them may have been friends with Bradley Simon, many other scenarios.

I would not at all be surprised to see them decide to voluntarily suspend the team for a season to deal with this mess. I would also not be surprised to see them move forward as a team without the involved individuals. This really is a mess, as well as a tragedy.
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

This is just a WAG, but I suspect that they'll play this season. In this case I would not punish the entire team for (apparently) the actions of a couple. If it turns out to be a team-wide issue, then it should be addressed at that time.

I also believe that this is probably not the time for speculation regarding the season, but this also is not my team's thread, so I'll leave that part of the discussion for others.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

This is absolutely tragic, and among the worst nightmare the Simon family could imagine. Certainly, Jedidiah McGlasson and Jared Britton deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions, though nothing can bring Bradley L. Simon back. While I have no knowledge of what actually happened, I doubt he was killed by "murderers", but more likely the victim of an unjustifiable alcohol fueled argument. In the "cast the first stone department", during my freshman year at SUNY Cobleskill, I got into a drunken fight with a patron for a reason I never recalled, I do recall grabbing a likely empty keg from under a stairwell and hitting the guy over the head, next I remember there was blood everywhere, I ran. Luckily, the guy survived, but by luck, not action, as certainly the blow could have been lethal. I quit drinking a few years later after one-to-many hangovers, and certainly do not condone intoxicating drinking, but until facts are all established and the court has their final say, I cannot throw a stone. My prayers go out to all the families involved, as all are victims in this.

Press Release from the Menomonie Police Department here.

During this emotional state of time, the Menomonie Police Department and Dunn County District Attorney's Office would like everyone to please keep in mind that there is a presumption of innocence for the defendants until proved guilty in a court of law.
                        Press Release from Luther Midelfort: Parents of Bradley Simon express gratitude for support in wake of son's death;
                        The Simon family said Bradley was able to help many others with the gift of life through organ and tissue donation.
                        University of Wisconsin-Stout Chancellor Charles W. Sorensen's statement here.
                        Last edited by norm1909; 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM.
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          This is just a WAG, but I suspect that they'll play this season. In this case I would not punish the entire team for (apparently) the actions of a couple. If it turns out to be a team-wide issue, then it should be addressed at that time.

I also believe that this is probably not the time for speculation regarding the season, but this also is not my team's thread, so I'll leave that part of the discussion for others.
                          Duke lacrosse lost a whole season because of an alleged rape case. (granted it turned out to be completely false in the end, but you catch my drift.)
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Duke lacrosse lost a whole season because of an alleged rape case. (granted it turned out to be completely false in the end, but you catch my drift.)
                            Norwich lacrosse lost part of a season because of a party that resulted in a player falling to his death out of dorm window.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Police arrest third suspect

Excerpt:
                              Police say a man they arrested Friday morning kept officers from finding a suspect in the death of a UW-Stout student.

Dunn County District Attorney Jim Peterson says officers arrested Rudy Hartviksen, 22, for telling them Jared Britton wasn't home when he was.

He's out of jail on a $500 signature bond.

UW-Stout's website says Hartviksen was on the school’s hockey team last year.

The Dunn County Jail says Jared Britton, 23, is out of jail on a $10,000 cash bond.

Jedidiah McGlasson, 21, remains in the Dunn County Jail on a $10,000 cash bond.

Both are on the UW-Stout hockey team.

Police arrested Britton and McGlasson Thursday in the death of UW-Stout student Bradley Simon, 22, of Waunakee. Simon died Thursday.

Peterson says he's not accusing either Britton or McGlasson of trying to kill Simon on September 18, and he says Hartviksen wasn't implicated in the actual incident, but Peterson says he believes a witness saw McGlasson push Simon while he was on his bike.

Officers say Britton and McGlasson caused Simon and the bike to crash into a concrete wall near Main Street and South Broadway in Menomonie early Saturday morning.

Police also say the impact threw Simon over the handlebars, and that he hit his head on the wall.

“It's a terrible tragedy and…the matter is still under investigation,” Peterson said. “We will have a criminal complaint filed on Monday.”
                              Court records show none of the suspects are charged in the case.
                              Last edited by norm1909; 09-24-2010, 10:35 PM.
                              Larry Normandin
                              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Can someone tell me how three players getting arrested is not a "hockey team involved incident?"

This is so sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X