2010-2011 WCHA Predictions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-2011 WCHA Predictions Thread

I've seen a lot of different predictions in a lot of different threads, so I thought I'd create a thread specifically for this purpose.

Here are my predictions, subject to change...

1. North Dakota - They have the fewest question marks of any team in the league, and they return nearly everyone from a squad that once again was playing its best hockey at the end of the season.

2. St. Cloud State - Very similar to North Dakota, and I could honestly see either team (or both) skate the MacNaughton around at the end of the season. They have a lot of talent all over the ice, and they'll be a scary team next season.

3. Denver - They graduated a lot of talent, and also lost key pieces to their regular season title run via early departure. Given that, the Pioneers always seem to reload as opposed to rebuild. I could see them finishing anywhere between about 3rd and 6th, but for now, I'll place them here.

4. Minnesota-Duluth - They are returning a lot of talent to the ice as well for the upcoming season. One thing that does concern me is how they faded during the stretch run last season.

5. Minnesota - I could honestly see them finishing anywhere from about 3rd-8th. They have a ton of talent coming in, but as we've seen the past few seaons that doesn't necessarily translate to W's. Saying that, the Gophers have to start playing inspired hockey at somepoint right? I think this is the year.

6. Wisconsin - Along with Denver, they lost a lot of talent from their run to the National Title game. They have a good recruiting class coming in, and they still have a lot of talent on the blueline. If they can put up the goal numbers that they did last season, they'll be much higher than this spot.

7. Nebraska-Omaha - Blais led the Mavericks to their third highest win total in the program's 13 year history in his very first season. If his track record at North Dakota applies here, we won't be seeing UNO in the bottom half for very long.

8. Bemidji State - The Beavers are an enigma to me. Will they be the team that was a thorn in many WCHA team's sides while a member of the CHA? Will they be the team that showed it's talent on its way to the Frozen Four in 2009? Or will they be the team that faded to the stretch in 2010? I think Bemidji State has enough talent to be a top-half team, but I think it's first season in the grind that is the WCHA will wear on them. Don't be surprised if they start off strong early, and fade down the stretch.

9. Colorado College - I could see CC finish anywhere between 4th and 9th. I placed them here because I really do believe that the 8 teams I listed above them have more talent. Saying that, Scotty Owens always gets the most out of his teams. If other teams falter above them, and the Tigers get the most out of their squad, they'll be a top half team. If not, they'll be on the road for the first round of the WCHA Playoffs.

10. Minnesota-State - The Mavericks lost a lot of their scoring, and also had some issues in the nets. Given that, and the overall talent level that will be in the WCHA next season, I don't see Mankato climbing much higher than this spot. I think they are better than Tech and Anchorage, hence this ranking.

11. Michigan Tech - They aren't in the cellar moreso for the fact that UAA lost much of its scoring power and won't be very good next year. I would love to see Tech ranking consistently in the top half, but for now, they just don't have the talent up and down the roster that the big dogs do.

12. Anchorage - Perhaps I'll be way off on this, but I don't see UAA being very good at all. Shyiak is a good coach, so I don't think they'll be as bad as say the '02-'03 team. I don't think they'll be that much better though.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: 2010-2011 WCHA Predictions Thread

01. North Dakota
    02. Denver
    03. Duluth
    04. St. Cloud
    05. Wisconsin
    06. Nebraska
    07. Minnesota
    08. Bemidji
    09. Colorado College
    10. Minnesota State
    11. Michigan Tech
    12. Anchorage

I think 5-9 could be flipped around in any way.
    Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
    THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

I think the cupcake parade will be over for BSU, and they will finish in the bottom three.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

If there is one thing that these threads prove every year, it's that the WCHA is unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          I think the cupcake parade will be over for BSU, and they will finish in the bottom three.
          *****http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs107.snc3/15456_1171111479529_1280250135_30518458_4962270_n. jpg******
          Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
          THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverFan View Post
            *****http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs107.snc3/15456_1171111479529_1280250135_30518458_4962270_n. jpg******
            You seemed to have forgot the 7 losses. a .125 winning record will get you nicely to the bottom of the wcha.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

1. UND
              2. SCSU
              3. Wisconsin
              4. UMD
              5. UNO
              6. Denver
              7. Minnesota
              8. Colorado College
              9. Bemidji St.
              10. Minnesota St.
              11. Alaska Anchorage
              12. Michigan tech

I think the talent level from the top 3 and the field will be dramatic. Wisconsin will be hurt somewhat but not nearly as much as Denver will be with all they lost. North Dakota is the team to beat in the conference and maybe nationally. Huskies will be very good as well with solid goaltending. Should be interesting and fun to see how UNO and Bemidji will do.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

For largely the same reasons as FS23:

1. North Dakota
                2. Denver
                3. St. Cloud
                4. Wisconsin
                5. Minnesota-Duluth
                6. Colorado College
                7. Bemidji (and a win over CC to reach the F5, the only upset this upcoming postseason)
                8. Nebraska-Omaha
                9. Minnesota
                10. Michigan Tech
                11. Mankato
                12. Alaska-Anchorage
                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverFan View Post
                  Look who thinks he's really part of the big boys' club. That's cute.

Call me when you can get more than 2K for a game. Or be more than a Cinderella story.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

1. UND
                    1a. SCSU
                    3. Denver
                    4. Wisconsin, if Smith stays, drop them to 6th if he doesn't.
                    5. UMD
                    6. Minnesota
                    7. UNO
                    8. Colorado College
                    9. Bemidji St.
                    10. Minnesota St.
                    11. Alaska Anchorage
                    12. Michigan tech
                    Originally posted by Mankato student
                    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                    -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                      For largely the same reasons as FS23:

1. North Dakota
                      2. Denver
                      3. St. Cloud
                      4. Wisconsin
                      5. Minnesota-Duluth
                      6. Colorado College
                      7. Bemidji (and a win over CC to reach the F5, the only upset this upcoming postseason)
                      8. Nebraska-Omaha
                      9. Minnesota
                      10. Michigan Tech
                      11. Mankato
                      12. Alaska-Anchorage
                      If the Gophers finish lower than 8th I'll leave the board. If they don't, you leave the board.

Comment

1. UND
                        2. WI
                        3. SCSU
                        4. CC
                        5. DU
                        6. UM
                        7. UMD
                        8. MSUM
                        9. UNO
                        10. UAA
                        11. BSU
                        12. Tech

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          You seemed to have forgot the 7 losses. a .125 winning record will get you nicely to the bottom of the wcha.
                          The BSU team song for this upcoming year:

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwEOigT2GWM&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwEOigT2GWM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Wow, not even June yet and the prediction talk has begun. I like it.

I find placing teams in groups makes more sense than slotting them into exact spots, given how little margin for error there is in the WCHA. So...

1-2: UND and SCSU. Both these clubs are returning a hell of a lot from top tier teams. I give the edge to UND just because they are a stronger defensive side. But, saying that, almost never is the preseason favorite the team at the top of the tables come the end of the season.

3-7: CC, DU, UMD, UMN, UW: A big group, but often times 3-4 goals over the course of the season can be the difference between finishing 3-5, or 4-6, etc.

- CC: They lack a lot of the pure finesse that they had in the early part of the decade and the last part of the 90's. I would expect them in the 5-7 range.

- DU: They lost so much from last year's team, but Gwozdecky is one of the best in the business and they have a knack for bringing in top-caliber players. The question will be how many of those players will step up and become dominant in the WCHA this season. I would guess they will finish 3-6.

- UMD: They will have a number of offensive weapons back from last year. Their biggest concern will be goaltending, and maintaining a team GAA of around 3 or better. I wouldn't be surprised to seem them anywhere from 1-7.

- UMN: They *should* be much better than last season, but I said the same thing a year ago. Yet when it comes down to it, I think Lucia will right the ship and they will be a more cohesive team with an improved sense of identity; but not one of the elites in the league. I think they will finish somewhere from 3-6.

- UW: Another team that lost a ton in the off-season. If they get better goaltending, they could be among the better teams. But if pressed, I would put them in the 5-7 range along with CC.

8-10: BSU, Mankato, UNO
                            - BSU: They will have a hard time dealing with playing some of the best teams in the country week in and week out. Focus and discipline mean a lot, but at the end of the day aren't enough alone to carry you into the top half of this league. I could see them doing better than 8th, but put the ceiling at 6.

- Mankato: They have a leg up on UNO and BSU simply because they know what to expect; not just in the competition but also officiating. But I really don't see them finishing outside of this 8-10 range.

- UNO: We'll see just how great Blais is.

11-12: Tech, UAA: It's always a crap shoot which of these teams will finish at the bottom and which will just barely escape it.

- Tech: This program is really in shambles. Russel made a valiant effort when he first came in, but the obstacles just proved too great. I think at this point he has lost the ability to get the players to "buy-in" the way that is needed for a team like this to make any kind of noise.

- UAA: They lost a couple of their go-to guys, and for a team with little depth that hurts even more.

It will be fun to see how far off I am as the season plays out
                            Last edited by Stauber1; 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

- Tech: This program is really in shambles. Russel made a valiant effort when he first came in, but the obstacles just proved too great. I think at this point he has lost the ability to get the players to "buy-in" the way that is needed for a team like this to make any kind of noise.

All that is needed is some consistent goal scorers and a renewed emphasis on Defense First.

Even last year Tech lost many 4-2 type games. Hopefully, Rix, Baker, and Gordic can help Olson with the goal production and Tech can win some of these close games.

I was amazed how badly last year spiraled out of control. I don't think the coaches can afford to let that happen again this year, plus improved recruits should push to make the team stronger.

I hope Tech brings back the pride with a solid season and 60 minutes every game next season. The injury bug was beyond horrific the last two years. I hope they have adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                              X