Two Tournaments in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Tournaments in Alaska

I always enjoy watching teams that we usually don't get to see up here in Alaska.
    This coming fall (2010), Anchorage's Tournament has Air Force and North Dakota. While Fairbanks has Union and Colorado College coming up.
    Do either school know who has agreed to play in their tournament for the fall of 2011?
    I hope we are able to get more east coast teams!
    Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Re: Two Tournaments in Alaska

I cant speak to the upcoming tournaments but I have a question for you...

I know Fairbanks has corporate sponsorship that pays for travel for CCHA teams travel expenses. Does UAA have a similar arrangement?
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
      I always enjoy watching teams that we usually don't get to see up here in Alaska.
      This coming fall (2010), Anchorage's Tournament has Air Force and North Dakota. While Fairbanks has Union and Colorado College coming up.
      Do either school know who has agreed to play in their tournament for the fall of 2011?
      I hope we are able to get more east coast teams!
      I'd be pretty peeved if I were a UAA fan that they are playing two WCHA teams in these tourneys. At least UA_ gets four actual OOC games...
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I'm pretty sure the travel deals are remarkably similar, though I don't think there's corporate sponsorship helping out the overall cost.

All travel, I believe, is built into the overall hockey budgets.
        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
          I'm pretty sure the travel deals are remarkably similar, though I don't think there's corporate sponsorship helping out the overall cost.

When my dad worked for the UM hockey program he mentioned that Kodak, or some other company helped to subsidize travel. I cant speak to which company it was specifically, but I know there was some link-as he was part of the department that organized their travel.
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

Just because travel is paid out of the hockey budget doesn't mean the money wasn't put into the budget by a corporate sponsor.
            Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
              I'd be pretty peeved if I were a UAA fan that they are playing two WCHA teams in these tourneys. At least UA_ gets four actual OOC games...
              Why do you say that? It's pretty typical for UAA to invite one of the WCHA teams that isn't making a conference trip to Anchorage to participate in their tournament.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Why do you say that? It's pretty typical for UAA to invite one of the WCHA teams that isn't making a conference trip to Anchorage to participate in their tournament.
                For the same reason I'd hate to play any WCHA team in a OOC series for BSU. Sure, they may not come that year, but that team would certainly be there the following season. OOC games are supposed to be just that - out of conference...

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

Because the regular season schedule is incestuous enough as it is without playing conference rivals in "non conference" play?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

For the same reason I'd hate to play any WCHA team in a OOC series for BSU. Sure, they may not come that year, but that team would certainly be there the following season. OOC games are supposed to be just that - out of conference...
                    Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Because the regular season schedule is incestuous enough as it is without playing conference rivals in "non conference" play?
                    I do agree with the new format that guarantees the hard bracket so UAA and UAF can't play each other. I don't mind having a WCHA team in the GLI every once in awhile...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Plus, I just noticed that CC is going to Anchorage this year. That means UAA and CC play five times this season...

*****http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kn3k37XD0Ck/S-yl9W4UXLI/AAAAAAAABTU/Wf17Q5PNHxc/s1600/schedule.jpg******

AHA:
                      ECAC:

Comment

Ok to answer the original question, Scheckler rat, they don't announce the teams for next year's tourney til the actual weekend of the tournament in the Tourney program guides for the Kendall, i don't know how it works for the Goal Rush but i know that the Kendall puts next years teams in the program guides, but also remember that the teams they put in may NOT be the teams we actually see the following season as there is always last minute changes to the schedule.
                        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                          Ok to answer the original question, Scheckler rat, they don't announce the teams for next year's tourney til the actual weekend of the tournament in the Tourney program guides for the Kendall, i don't know how it works for the Goal Rush but i know that the Kendall puts next years teams in the program guides, but also remember that the teams they put in may NOT be the teams we actually see the following season as there is always last minute changes to the schedule.
                          Thanks for getting back to my original question.
                          The information you said is also correct for up here. I just thought maybe the coaches know now and might of told someone. Maybe I should call Dallas and ask him. I think I will.
                          Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Plus, I just noticed that CC is going to Anchorage this year. That means UAA and CC play five times this season...
                            Thats probably because the rotation changed because your team is now part of the WCHA. I'd have to look at the last few years in the WCHA but I wouldn't be surprised that when CC committed they were expecting to not be in Alaska otherwise...

Comment

Working...
                            X