Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL-CWHL affiliation on the horizon

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    Sigh......anybody got any actual NEWS on this topic??
    No news lately.... but I did hear the Red Wings are out of the Playoff's.

Comment

Ouch...low blow...

Also heard Calgary's looking at an NHL franchise.

Comment

Ouch...low blow...

Also heard Calgary's looking at an NHL franchise.

I'd fire everybody in the Calgary flames organization and hire the entire Suisse National Team...

Comment

I may have missed this, but when will all the rosters be set for this league? Will there be a draft?

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
            I'd fire everybody in the Calgary flames organization and hire the entire Suisse National Team...
            After this past week's performance, I'm thinking the Bruins ought to fit in better in the other half of this affiiliation.
            Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Got some more news...
              . NHL is on board;
              . players likely to be paid;
              . summer evaluation camps for all players, followed by a league-wide draft;
              . one GTA team has folded along with Ottawa, making for a pretty skinny schedule!

Should be interesting. All practices and games are mandatory; offenders will be fined or suspended.

This should be an interesting process to watch.

Comment

Got some more news...
                . NHL is on board;
                . one GTA team has folded along with Ottawa, making for a pretty skinny schedule!

Should be interesting. All practices and games are mandatory; offenders will be fined or suspended.

A lot more interesting than the Cardinals or the Red Wings...

Comment

Got some more news...
                  . NHL is on board;

There must be more to it than this--or perhaps more details to still work out:

If you assume the "players will be paid" does not mean a full salary for any/all players, meaning the players would still need "real jobs" to provide an attractive full-time income, then:

1) How can there be a full league-wide draft? You can't for example tell someone located in Toronto for their career that they have to play hockey in Montreal (or vice versa).

2) How can you say 100% attendance at all practices as well as games is mandatory...if there are inevitable conflicts with work schedules and associated travel that may mean at least occasional misses?

If you assume instead that the women will actually be able to earn attractive salaries that replace the need for their full-time jobs to address issues (1) and (2), how is the league/NHL possibly going to recoup the $1,000,000+ per year per team in additional costs vs. status quo that would result?

If these substantive issues can be worked out, it will definitely be a big step in the right direction. I.e. the tail no longer wagging the dog in league management, better talent distribution with a draft, better talent quality with at least 2 fewer teams, better professionalism with measures to ensure regular player attendance and training.

Comment

Wow...yer such a downer. Just reporting what I've heard. Gotta start somewhere I guess. Sounds like you'd just crap on any suggestion. Maybe you should apply to work for the OWHA...

Comment

Wow...yer such a downer. Just reporting what I've heard. Gotta start somewhere I guess. Sounds like you'd just crap on any suggestion. Maybe you should apply to work for the OWHA...
                      Exactly how am I being a downer????? I did say this would be a big step in the right direction, if these things can be addressed. But you can't just ignore the practical considerations either. I'd love if a way can be found to make it happen.

But don't get me started on the OWHA. Anybody could do a better job there by hardly trying at all...but working for them is a complete waste of time. The key is you have to get rid of the dinosaurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        But don't get me started on the OWHA. Anybody could do a better job there by hardly trying at all...but working for them is a complete waste of time. The key is you have to get rid of the dinosaurs.
                        Finally we agree!! Those two old carpetbaggers are doing their best to destroy women's hockey in our province. I guess we can only hope for another snap ice age to hit their caves before it's too late!

Comment

one GTA team has folded along with Ottawa, making for a pretty skinny schedule!
                          Forgive my ignorance, but what does GTA mean? I am going to guess Greater Toronto Area?

I have been on the CWHL website lately and noticed that there were six teams ... four in the Toronto area, the one in Ottawa, and the one in Montreal. So, which team folded?
                          Last edited by osualum86; 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

GTA is Greater Toronto Area...and I don't know which team folded at this time. Sorry.

Comment

GTA is Greater Toronto Area...and I don't know which team folded at this time. Sorry.
                              The only team that I'm aware of that has folded is the Oval Extreme out of Calgary in the WWHL...and were all sorry.

Comment

My guess is that Vaughan is the team that will fold...there have been rumours to that effect for months. It has also been the least competitive team in the area.

FYI to OSU Alum, the Greater Toronto Area or GTA is generally used to refer to the suburban areas immediatly around the city of Toronto proper where a large proportion of the residents typically commute into Toronto to work. Technically, the area includes Halton, Peel, Durham and York regions. The GTA is the most populous area in Canada, currently home to over 6 million people (5.6 million in the 2006 census). However, in popular usage, the GTA actually often includes an even larger area around the city as the population and development continues to rapidly expand. More details are in the attached link if interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Toronto_

Comment

Working...
                                X