Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Team USA Plays For U-18 Gold Tomorrow - Did anyone know? Does anyone care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team USA Plays For U-18 Gold Tomorrow - Did anyone know? Does anyone care?

They've(we've) been cruising through the tourney so far and are set to play Sweden tomorrow for Gold which would give us a sweep of the "amateur" world titles.

Tomorrow at Noon.

Go USA!

Re: Team USA Plays For U-18 Gold Tomorrow - Did anyone know? Does anyone care?

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    They've(we've) been cruising through the tourney so far and are set to play Sweden tomorrow for Gold which would give us a sweep of the "amateur" world titles.

Tomorrow at Noon.

Go USA!
    After Denver's season flamed out, this is all about we have going for us so we've been following it (well, DG has on his blog). Denver has two incoming recruits on the team (Zucker and N. Shore). Go USA!

Comment

This U18 tourney is not an accurate reflection of the "best on best" that many fans would want to see, and that's why its low profile.

The U20 (World Junior) at least has all the best players at that age group (who aren't NHL regulars) are all playing. At the U18, a huge swath of top Canadian players (and a few US guys) aren't there because the CHL playoffs are still going on, so immediately, Canada's entry is deeply discounted.

Then you have the fact that most of the USA team plays together all year at the USNDT, which makes it pretty tough for other teams to compete on an even playing field with the USA.

It's a not a true world championship, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        This U18 tourney is not an accurate reflection of the "best on best" that many fans would want to see, and that's why its low profile.

The U20 (World Junior) at least has all the best players at that age group (who aren't NHL regulars) are all playing. At the U18, a huge swath of top Canadian players (and a few US guys) aren't there because the CHL playoffs are still going on, so immediately, Canada's entry is deeply discounted.

Then you have the fact that most of the USA team plays together all year at the USNDT, which makes it pretty tough for other teams to compete on an even playing field with the USA.

The USA is without some of the top players as well, those who are playing in the USHL playoffs...
        The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
          The USA is without some of the top players as well, those who are playing in the USHL playoffs...
          None of the 92's in ushl playoffs were under consideration

they have the team they want

please dont tell me mcdermott, he was not considered. they were not leaving anyone home for him. the couple that did get left home were so for more than just play

Comment

It would be great for them to win that considering the great year USA Hockey have, Major Juniors won gold, I think the U17s did too right? And an Olympic Silver no bad at all...

I wish the NHL Network would cover some of that, be nice for us College fans to see more of that team...
            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
            The Mule
            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

They're keeping score, so go USA!

I'm not gonna buy a t-shirt or anything, but I want us to win.

Comment

The Canadians will whine that they don't have their best players at this tournament. They told us at the Under-18s last year after they lost the bronze medal game that they don't really care about the tournament b/c they've won 5 straight world juniors. and then look at that... they lost this year. hmm. The Canadians take their best players to the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August instead and the U.S. takes a team chosen from those who go to the National Select Camps (kids not in the NTDP). So it's a crap shoot. Is the World Championship not a true world championship because some of the best players are not playing in it? NO. It's still a world championship.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                  The Canadians will whine that they don't have their best players at this tournament. They told us at the Under-18s last year after they lost the bronze medal game that they don't really care about the tournament b/c they've won 5 straight world juniors. and then look at that... they lost this year. hmm. The Canadians take their best players to the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August instead and the U.S. takes a team chosen from those who go to the National Select Camps (kids not in the NTDP). So it's a crap shoot. Is the World Championship not a true world championship because some of the best players are not playing in it? NO. It's still a world championship.
                  All true, but when the best players aren't there, the competition is devalued. The rsulting tournament quality is second rate and not an accurate reflection of a world championship, which should be measuring the best players and teams.

Comment

What put the World Juniors on the map in the US last year was the TV coverage on NHL Network and the success of the USA team. Same with the Olympics.

The USNDP is really starting to hit its stride internationally and the success in these tournaments is proof positive. The fact that the USNDT's struggled a little this season in the USHL also shows how good that league is becoming.

The NHL desperately needs "The Next Gretzky" to be an American player. This international success suggests that some day it may happen.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      What put the World Juniors on the map in the US last year was the TV coverage on NHL Network and the success of the USA team. Same with the Olympics.

The USNDP is really starting to hit its stride internationally and the success in these tournaments is proof positive. The fact that the USNDT's struggled a little this season in the USHL also shows how good that league is becoming.

The NHL desperately needs "The Next Gretzky" to be an American player. This international success suggests that some day it may happen.
                      Please tell me you are joking.

"How good that league is becoming"?? It alr4eady was a great league and if anything, was down this year. Adding Youngstown and us 93 team hurt the comp level

The next Gretzky is not coming out of that program. that program is a farce and has run its course and acoomplishes nothing outside giving the staff a free lunch

Comment

All true, but when the best players aren't there, the competition is devalued. The resulting tournament quality is second rate and not an accurate reflection of a world championship, which should be measuring the best players and teams.
                        This is the same excuse Canadians used for the U-20 loss in December/January. (Guys like Del Zotto were in the NHL.) I'm getting to the point where I don't want to hear their excuses anymore. Most of them look down on US college hockey and deserve some humble pie.

Comment

The only places IMO that even an American Gretzky will come out of will be either the UofMinnesota for a year (if he's a Minnesota boy) or Canadian Juniors, sadly (if he's from the other 49 states)

A kid that dominant will want nothing to do with going to class and only playing 40ish games. The only reason I even mention Minnesota is because the state seems able to keep most of their elite talent nearby with the high school hockey.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            The NHL desperately needs "The Next Gretzky" to be an American player.
                            My knowledge of hockey is almost non-existent compared to most others here, but I have to ask if there will be another Gretzky ever? Seems to me like the talent level keeps growing every year making it more and more difficult for any one player to be that dominant regardless of where he's from.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post

The next Gretzky is not coming out of that program. that program is a farce and has run its course and acoomplishes nothing outside giving the staff a free lunch
                              Sounds like bitterness to me.

Among other things, the program was created to, ultimately, promote the success of the national team on the international stage.

It has delivered World Junior titles, U-18 titles, and a significant number of the players from the young, overmatched, overachieving Olympic team that split with Team Canada and won Silver were NTDP graduates. Players coming through the program grow and succeed at the highest levels.

I'd say it is doing exactly what it is supposed to.

Whether a Gretzky or similar superstar comes through really depends on the ability of the US to recruit and develop that kind of athlete; right now those athletes aren't playing hockey. I do agree that there is a good chance that such an athlete may wind up playing major junior, though Pat Kane did both.
                              Jesus Saves

Comment

Working...
                              X