Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Not to pat myself on the back here or anything, but Bo Dolan was a guy I had initially picked out of a lineup when we heard that Seth was going to be out and about recruiting in the west when we got confused looking at the former Minnesota defenseman (who will now play at UConn).
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010 Off-Season Thread II -- We Can Rebuild Them. We Have the Technology!

Summary of Weaver's blog:

Nolan and Dolan
      and Jacob goes bowlin'

That should earn me a facepalm.

BTW, Weaver's blog post is apparently the first independent-from-Chris-Heisenberg confirmation of Johnny Rogic committing to RPI.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Seth should just cut his losses now with Laliberte and move on. It is clear he isnt mature and might never be mature enough to play in college. He must enjoy being a big fish in a small pond up there at Cornwall. I wouldnt want a player who could cause issues with the overall makeup of the team hanging around Troy.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
          Seth should just cut his losses now with Laliberte and move on. It is clear he isnt mature and might never be mature enough to play in college. He must enjoy being a big fish in a small pond up there at Cornwall. I wouldnt want a player who could cause issues with the overall makeup of the team hanging around Troy.
          While I certainly see the logic to that, most people do eventually mature. JL has the ability to be an important piece of the puzzle at RPI, so I won't give up on him coming until he does something to lose his eligibility. It's too bad that he probably won't join Montgomery in Dubuque (BTW, originally founded by the French) since the USHL is probably the only place that he could develop on the Junior level and remain eligible.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            While I certainly see the logic to that, most people do eventually mature. JL has the ability to be an important piece of the puzzle at RPI, so I won't give up on him coming until he does something to lose his eligibility. It's too bad that he probably won't join Montgomery in Dubuque (BTW, originally founded by the French) since the USHL is probably the only place that he could develop on the Junior level and remain eligible.
            He sounds like one of those kids that gets sent off to the army for a couple of years so they can grow up. Sounds like he has enormous potential - not only to be a stud player but also to be an enormous negative on any team. If he has significant potential for the latter then I can't wait to hear that he goes to major junior.

Comment

Brock Higgs will be playing on the Black Aces Red Team in the Chowder Cup Pre-Draft Showcase starting tomorrow http://stats.proamhockey.com/stats/r...1&team_id=1026

Schedule http://stats.proamhockey.com/stats/s...ate=2010-05-07

The only other player whom I noticed with a connection to RPI is Terrence Wallin. We lost him to UML.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-06-2010, 06:31 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ralph I would rather take a couple recruits like Marty O'Grady who we didnt know much about but then came in and surprised us with his hard work and play every shift to its max than have a negative like JL who yes can score in bunches but might not give his all every time out. Was Joe Juneau this much of a drama filled recruit when he came to Troy? I only say that due to the language barrier that has been noted here a few times.
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Ralph I would rather take a couple recruits like Marty O'Grady who we didnt know much about but then came in and surprised us with his hard work and play every shift to its max than have a negative like JL who yes can score in bunches but might not give his all every time out. Was Joe Juneau this much of a drama filled recruit when he came to Troy? I only say that due to the language barrier that has been noted here a few times.
                  To the best of my knowledge, not at all. His only problem appears to have been language difficulties.

JL doesn't appear to have such language problems. In the interviews that I have heard on the net, he uses the wrong word once in a while, but it isn't a problem.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Did Weaver have an article similar to his blog post in today's Record? There is nothing on the net.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As long as it doesn't cost us anything, I see no reason to cut ties with the kind of scoring potential that JL brings with him.
                      If he doesn't work out fine, but if we sit back and watch him grow up, we could wind up with a gem.
                      It does not look likely at this point, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on him.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

We already knew that he is going to the OHL, but here is another article about Eric Ming from the Standard Freeholder http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2565995.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Brock Higgs will be playing on the Black Aces Red Team in the Chowder Cup Pre-Draft Showcase starting tomorrow http://stats.proamhockey.com/stats/r...1&team_id=1026

Schedule http://stats.proamhockey.com/stats/s...ate=2010-05-07

The only other player whom I noticed with a connection to RPI is Terrence Wallin. We lost him to UML.
                          A familiar coach http://stats.proamhockey.com/stats/r...1&team_id=1048 and another http://stats.proamhockey.com/stats/r...=31&team_id=45. They sort of go together.
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-06-2010, 07:25 AM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                            The article, perhaps by design, still does not do a good job of describing what the precise reason for JL not being here next here is. Did we not want him? Does he not want to show up? RC, can you shed any more light?

I realize that both you and/or Weaver may be working off sources such that you can't go into more detail.
                            I really ought to not delve much deeper, lest I cause some kind of international incident. To my knowledge, language and academics really aren't an issue, it's the maturity the whole way.

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            True. But, playing in the CJHL is not an easy way to get the attention necessary from scouts to play in the pros. And it's also unlikely to get him to grow up any more.
                            Well, no, but if he knows what's best for a player of his size (he may not), college is the route to the pros for him. Major junior makes the road tougher, especially if his work ethic is lacking. He's likely to get swallowed up in the CHL anyway, but if he is lazy than he's got no chance whatsoever.

True. There are a large number of forwards fighting for ice time next season. A highly-touted recruit sitting on the bench / in the press box eating up scholarship money because he doesn't immediately succeed doesn't do us much good.
                            Well, it's not so much a case of whether he immediately succeeds or not as much as it is that hockey is a team sport. If JL comes into town as the crown prince and lollygags in practice and in games, it has a detrimental effect on other players. We already had an issue this season with some of the guys "wanting it to be easy" as Appert put it. But yes, with a number of solid forwards on our roster - and it's quite possible that Tinordi, Higgs, and/or Rogic will pan out to be solid forwards too (Burgdoerfer's going to be a solid addition to the checking line) - we don't want the soap opera to still be going on in Troy.

Again, true (unfortunately). All of your statements are true. But they don't delve into some of the semi-deeper issues. Of course, that's also a result of having to deal with this saga for the past two years.
                            That's by design. I don't need to go upsetting the apple cart, as it were. You might want to read the last two WaP entries through the scope of knowing that much of what Weaver wrote about JL was something I was mostly aware of at the time.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                              Not to pat myself on the back here or anything, but Bo Dolan was a guy I had initially picked out of a lineup when we heard that Seth was going to be out and about recruiting in the west when we got confused looking at the former Minnesota defenseman (who will now play at UConn).
                              Doing a quick search on Bo, it looks like he's not afraid to drop the gloves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-9iV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zDA...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMlA...eature=related

Im loving the way the D is shaping up for us for the next couple years.

Comment

Alberni Valley Bulldogs blog with a link to audio of the Bulldogs' press conference to be held today at 12:30 PDT (3:30 EDT) http://hammersdogs.blogspot.com/2010...ouncement.html.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X