Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage: What would a 64-team secession from the NCAA mean for hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sausage: What would a 64-team secession from the NCAA mean for hockey?

In print here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/sp...tml?ref=sports
    but there have been rumlings locally about this being a possible direction that college football will take in the not-too-distant future.

Specifically, 64 big football schools secede from the NCAA, forming four 16-team superconferences. In rough terms, we might expect those schools to include the five Big Ten schools, Notre Dame, Boston College, and UConn.

Although football (and to a lesser extent basketball) would be the main driver, one might reasonably expect that all of the other widely-sponsored sports would be along for the ride.

What, then, of the sports that are not widely-sponsored? Hockey is the one of interest here, as only eight major football schools also sponsor hockey (the rest are non-football, lower-division, or non-BCS). Would those eight play their own private championship cut off from the rest of what is now Division 1? Would some sort of hybrid be arranged for hockey (and potentially one or two other similar sports like lacrosse)?
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Re: Sausage: What would a 64-team secession from the NCAA mean for hockey?

Dude, just because it's 4/20...
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Dude, just because it's 4/20...
      I think that about sums it up...

The football landscape has changed drastically in the past, it in no way means that teams are leaving Division I to form their own league separate from the NCAA...wouldn't that essentialy make them club teams with scholarships? I mean I know Michigan and Notre Dame football are down but droping to club level is a little extreme ya know

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        I think that about sums it up...

The football landscape has changed drastically in the past, it in no way means that teams are leaving Division I to form their own league separate from the NCAA...wouldn't that essentialy make them club teams with scholarships?
        Rather, I think it would make a sort of a super-NAIA. The NCAA is not the sole arbiter of intercollegiate athletics even now.

I agree that it doesn't mean that a secession from the NCAA is necessarily in the works, but some influential people (ND's AD among them, publicly at least) seem to think that superconferences are coming. If a secession should happen, hockey would be prominently affected because its membership is so sharply divided between the big football schools and the others.

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          Rather, I think it would make a sort of a super-NAIA. The NCAA is not the sole arbiter of intercollegiate athletics even now.

I agree that it doesn't mean that a secession from the NCAA is necessarily in the works, but some influential people (ND's AD among them, publicly at least) seem to think that superconferences are coming. If a secession should happen, hockey would be prominently affected because its membership is so sharply divided between the big football schools and the others.
          Yeah, but right now if you want to be a major player, you have to be NCAA. You didn't see Florida State, Illinois, Utah and North Dakota all getting into line to join the NAIA after the NCAA all told them they were hostile and abusive.

The NAIA is dying, and losing schools to the NCAA D2 level.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
            (ND's AD among them, publicly at least)
            Swarbrick just wants it to seem like there is no option but to join one of the new "super conferences" so that the Irish nation doesn't hang him when ND joins the Big Ten.

I doubt anyone will buy that $10-$12 million in additional TV revenue is a good enough reason for forsake tradition. Just toss aside the fact that ND is switching to a 6-5-1 schedule anyways because other AD's are telling Jack to go **** himself and his non home and home game proposals .

(ND fan btw, not a hater)

But back on topic I don't think there is a chance in hell any of the D1 schools leave the NCAA. Just my opinion though.

Comment

I think the NCAA needs to make a preemptive strike before this happens, and it is very likely it could. The NCAA needs to set up an NCAA title for Football. There are roughly 124 teams in 1-A football in the NCAA. To Maximize revenue and avoid this in the future, set up a 32 team post season tourney. 1-16 get byes. 17-32 play and are reseeded based on the previous round upsets. If the B.C.S. schools want to decline their invite, so be it, but the NCAA needs to set up their version of an NCAA title. So, if a school like Tulane wins it all, They get one of those fancy boring NCAA titles to put in their school and will go on the list as NCAA Champs. I feel like being NCAA Champs has more name/lasting appeal than the money and "B.C.S" Champions, and eventually I think one A.D. would realize this and accept the invite, and so falls the dominoes.
              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
              2006-2007: 15-24-2
              2007-2008: 20-20-4
              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                I think the NCAA needs to make a preemptive strike before this happens, and it is very likely it could. The NCAA needs to set up an NCAA title for Football. There are roughly 124 teams in 1-A football in the NCAA. To Maximize revenue and avoid this in the future, set up a 32 team post season tourney. 1-16 get byes. 17-32 play and are reseeded based on the previous round upsets. If the B.C.S. schools want to decline their invite, so be it, but the NCAA needs to set up their version of an NCAA title. So, if a school like Tulane wins it all, They get one of those fancy boring NCAA titles to put in their school and will go on the list as NCAA Champs. I feel like being NCAA Champs has more name/lasting appeal than the money and "B.C.S" Champions, and eventually I think one A.D. would realize this and accept the invite, and so falls the dominoes.
                This is not possible as there was a lawsuit in the 80's that made football championships independent from the NCAA.
                It took me 22 years, but I think I've finally given up on Tech Hockey.

Comment

A 32 team tournament. Talk about the death of college football.

Comment

The upcoming NCAA Basketball TV contract is worth $840 million per year. The 64 elite schools are drooling over that money as much as the football revenue.

Dumping the NCAA means that they could also drop a bunch of non-revenue sports.

The biggest advantage of NCAA membership is that they don't have to pay the players. Leaving the NCAA umbrella could complicate matters in that regard.

If I'm the NCAA, you've got to consider kicking out all 64 defectors in all sports and hoping that you can hold together the remainders. What a mess.
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 04-20-2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Not seeing how the top 16 teams would get byes while the bottom 16 teams would have to play each other and then have only 8 of them play the other 16 teams. Maybe you should just have everybody play the opening weekend of a 32 team playoff, Number one gets 32.

Personally, 16 teams would be more than enough. Really have your heart set on having Byes, go with 24, more than enough to make sure all of the top teams make it into the playoffs there.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        The biggest advantage of NCAA membership is that they don't have to pay the players. Leaving the NCAA umbrella could complicate matters in that regard.
                        I wouldn't expect any major changes in that regard. Regardless of the initials of the governing organization, the motivations would presumably still be the same, and so I would figure on the result being the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Not seeing how the top 16 teams would get byes while the bottom 16 teams would have to play each other and then have only 8 of them play the other 16 teams. Maybe you should just have everybody play the opening weekend of a 32 team playoff, Number one gets 32.

Personally, 16 teams would be more than enough. Really have your heart set on having Byes, go with 24, more than enough to make sure all of the top teams make it into the playoffs there.
                          Yeah, I screwed that count up. I was distracted by playoff hockey. You knew what I meant though.
                          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                          2006-2007: 15-24-2
                          2007-2008: 20-20-4
                          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Part of me wants to see big teams leave the NCAA just for continued stupid crap like this that the NCAA morality police keeps imposing.

Beginning in 2011, if a player is penalized for taunting an opponent on his way to a touchdown that play will be nullified. Currently, that would be a deal-ball foul and assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

But the new rule will make it a live-ball foul, meaning if a player holds the ball out in a taunting manner as he's crossing the goal line, does some type of somersault heading into the end zone or high steps his way into the end zone, the touchdown will be called back and the penalty will be assessed from the spot of the foul.
                            Can't wait for that first TD to get called back and the fan outcry that will ensue.

The NCAA is trying to get a bunch of 18-23 year olds who play a very physical, emotional game to act like a bunch of unemotional robots, all while having 60,000+ fans screaming and cheering their every play. Seriously, where does it end? The stuff like this the NCAA continues to come up with every year rather than letting the kids play the freakin' game and have fun and show passion is getting ridiculous.

I don't expect to see a secession, but I wouldn't be opposed to it, either, if it means sticking the NCAA in their place.
                            Last edited by M-HockeyNet; 04-21-2010, 07:57 AM.
                            Michigan Hockey Net
                            Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

My guess is that the NCAA will need to better adapt to the needs of big BCS schools in order to retain them under the umbrella.

Comment

Working...
                              X