NCAA money issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA money issues

I was just reading about the negotiations for a new deal for the NCAA DI basketball tournament. It appears that they were scheduled to get 710 million for next year under the old contract, but are looking to opt out for an increased fee.

Since there are 63 games in the current format of the tournament, on average each game is worth 11 million plus. The total budget allocation to DIII is 22.578 million (that's 3.18% of the total NCAA budget), or the rights revenue from two tournament games.

It is also shown here that the total net expenses for all DIII championships (both men's and women's) was 13 million or so (about 1 DI basketball game's worth of income), and the total cost of transportation was 5 million of that (the first half of a basketball game).

Some 40% of NCAA athletes compete at the DIII level, but for all DIII sports, the NCAA is willing to spend only the equivalent of half a basketball game to support travel for championships in 27 sports. Prohibition of air travel in the early rounds of DIII tournaments really seems to be working to save them money. I couldn't find how much the new DIII logo cost the NCAA, but the lack of interest in supporting collegiate competition at the DIII level is appalling by comparison. Heck, if they are going to add 31 games to the tournament, DIII ought to get at least one whole game for a divisional travel budget.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Re: NCAA money issues

Never let the money get in the way of a good tournament.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      I couldn't find how much the new DIII logo cost the NCAA
      Not sure about the logo itself but associated promotion thereof, including distribution of the five minute video exalting the mobius concept, is slated to run $1.2 million per the article I posted previously.

Fun fact: I wasn't there but was told they showed the video at the banquet in Placid. I bet it really tied the weekend together for all participating parties.
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

I was just reading about the negotiations for a new deal for the NCAA DI basketball tournament. It appears that they were scheduled to get 710 million for next year under the old contract, but are looking to opt out for an increased fee.

Since there are 63 games in the current format of the tournament, on average each game is worth 11 million plus. The total budget allocation to DIII is 22.578 million (that's 3.18% of the total NCAA budget), or the rights revenue from two tournament games.

It is also shown here that the total net expenses for all DIII championships (both men's and women's) was 13 million or so (about 1 DI basketball game's worth of income), and the total cost of transportation was 5 million of that (the first half of a basketball game).

Some 40% of NCAA athletes compete at the DIII level, but for all DIII sports, the NCAA is willing to spend only the equivalent of half a basketball game to support travel for championships in 27 sports. Prohibition of air travel in the early rounds of DIII tournaments really seems to be working to save them money. I couldn't find how much the new DIII logo cost the NCAA, but the lack of interest in supporting collegiate competition at the DIII level is appalling by comparison. Heck, if they are going to add 31 games to the tournament, DIII ought to get at least one whole game for a divisional travel budget.
        Even if the percentage allocated to DIII remains the same, if the overall pot increases due to a new TV contract, then DIII still ends up with more money.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Even if the percentage allocated to DIII remains the same, if the overall pot increases due to a new TV contract, then DIII still ends up with more money.
          I bet the DIII share goes down percentage wise, and the overall amount remains stagnant- why? because they're the NCAA

Comment

I bet the DIII share goes down percentage wise, and the overall amount remains stagnant- why? because they're the NCAA
            Are you always mad at the world?
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Are you always mad at the world?
              Hardly, I just don't trust the NCAA. Given the history of the neglect they have given D III sports, I think it is justified.

Also (see other thread) I'm very much in favor of Title IX, because I've seen the good it has done both in terms of athletics and all aspects of college life.

Comment

Working...
              X