DI Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DI Transfers

Has anyone ever heard of a DI Women's Hockey player not getting a transfer release for the next year?

There are many high profile players who seem to transfer each year without any problems.

Re: DI Transfers

Originally posted by hockeyfan8811 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a DI Women's Hockey player not getting a transfer release for the next year?

There are many high profile players who seem to transfer each year without any problems.
    I heard of such a case a few years back...regarding a particular programs "star" player. Of course I have no way of knowing whether the player had actually requested her release.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Word has it that a freshman from UVM requested a release and has been denied. There have been previous releases granted from that school (and MANY others). Any suggestions or opinions?

Comment

Word has it that a freshman from UVM requested a release and has been denied. There have been previous releases granted from that school (and MANY others). Any suggestions or opinions?
        My guess is that there is more to the story than you are hearing. As you stated, there are several transfers every year, including high profile, franchise players.

I think most coaches, while not wanting the transfers to occur, realize that it could be more detrimental to keep a player that doesn't want to be there.

Comment

If a player wants to go, then it's unfortunately their choice in most cases. Why? Because they will make a mess of the organization if they don't let them go.

Comment

There is not more to the story. The player appealed and stated that she wanted to leave for personal reasons (not team reasons) and was denied. In this case it seems that the coaches don't care about the well being of their players, they just don't want to loose this player. For a kid who has played hockey for her WHOLE life, she is now stuck for the next year, and has been denied access to rink and workout privileges for the rest of this year!

Comment

There is not more to the story. The player appealed and stated that she wanted to leave for personal reasons (not team reasons) and was denied. In this case it seems that the coaches don't care about the well being of their players, they just don't want to loose this player. For a kid who has played hockey for her WHOLE life, she is now stuck for the next year, and has been denied access to rink and workout privileges for the rest of this year!
              What amazes me is that the NCAA, and schools, allow coaches to pick up and move on whenever it suits them, regardless of contract obligations. Certainly not in hockey but look at some of the incidences of football and basketball coaches jumping ship for the lure of the green, leaving players that they recruited in the lurch. It's totally out of whack.......Charlie Weis flies Notre Dame football into the ditch and leaves with millions of $$$ as they honor his contract years left. I understand that you need some sort of order and can't have players playing musical chairs every year but no one can argue that the athletes don't get the short end of the stick regarding movement.
              Har, Har, Haaaaaaar, Deee, Haaaaar, Haaaar, Alice.

Comment

All of the NCAA rules and regulations, supposedly to protect players, really only leave players in this situation with few options. A coach can be vindictive and childish, yet an 18 year old who takes the high road is left with no support to pursue available options. Without a release, she cannot even contact coaches or certain support people at other universities. It seems that there should be more help and protection for the student-athlete, not the coach!

Comment

All of the NCAA rules and regulations, supposedly to protect players, really only leave players in this situation with few options. A coach can be vindictive and childish, yet an 18 year old who takes the high road is left with no support to pursue available options. Without a release, she cannot even contact coaches or certain support people at other universities. It seems that there should be more help and protection for the student-athlete, not the coach!

The appeals process is generally handled by members of the University community outside of athletics and the hockey program. Not to say there isn't an athletics representative there, as I'm sure there is. I'd imagine the coaches also get to submit their rationale in writing.

This is another layer that is in place to help protect student athletes who feel they are in the right when they are denied the opportunity to transfer. I'm not saying that this layer worked or didn't work in this situation because there is no way to know the true story...but ultimately the coach does not have the final say.

Comment

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but in general, when a player accepts a scholarship, it is like signing a 4 year contract, that does come with some stipulations and regulations.

Similarly a coach is under contract when they sign on with a school, but unless you are the AD or the coach, you have generally no knowledge about the length , terms and conditions of the contract.

In any situation were someone wants to change the terms and conditions of said contract, there are rules and regulations in place to govern this, some are school rules, some are NCAA rules.

Coaches move around, mostly assistants. Many assistants probably only have 1 year contracts (so to speak), so you'd expect those movements as part of career upgrades etc.

In general player movement should be limited. Up here in the CIS in Canada if you want to move to another school, you sit a year. In US womens hockey that rules appears to only apply to moves within the WCHA.

If the player being discussed here had a change of heart, there were probably procedures in place to initiate this. Unless you are the player, coach, parent or AD, you have no way of knowing the complete story, so speculating on here about an individual case is IMHO not the right thing do.

At any rate, I know of at least one other player at another D1 school, that wanted out, but she did not get permission from her school to talk to the other schools. She would have to abide by that contract, even if she does not like it. A great learning lesson about real life.

Just my 3 cents...
                    Last edited by OnMAA; 04-17-2010, 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am not the player, parent, or coach but I do know the specifics of this case.

Really, I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions or knew of other similar cases. Just looking out for the best interests of the student-athlete, as I was under the impression that women's hockey players had the option of transferring almost all of the time.

Because I have only been following college hockey for a few years, I only really heard of cases where the girls were released as they are not really generating income for the school (unlike college basketball).

Comment

But since women's hockey does indeed have the one time transfer rule, why aren't the players allowed to use this in all cases? If the player you are referring to is indeed not a franchise player and she wants to leave, only for personal reasons, one would think there would be no restrictions...whats happening up there????

Comment

Those looking at going to UVM beware! If I recall it's not the first time that players have been treated unsatisfactorily by this coach and perhaps it won't be the last.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                            In general player movement should be limited. Up here in the CIS in Canada if you want to move to another school, you sit a year. In US womens hockey that rules appears to only apply to moves within the WCHA.
                            This is an inequity in NCAA women's hockey that should not exist...and should be changed IMO. I definitely think any transfer policy should be universal among all division I conferences. Whether you believe there should be a one season sit out "penalty" or you believe there should not be any sit out penalty...I think it should be universal for all of D-I.

I used to be in disagreement with the WCHA policy...based on the reality for the women...they have their four year eligibility...and then their hockey careers are over, for the vast majority of players. So I just didn't like the idea of taking a year away from them. You can't have...or create a situation where there's transferring run wild, unchecked and possibly abused, but I'm not at all sure that would occur, evidenced by the frequency of transfers seen now under the current rules. I suspect you'd see more transferring in the WCHA without the penalty...but probably not a lot more. I could be wrong, and without the penalty it's very possible you'd see a gradual increase in transfers within the conference over time. I'm just a little less sure it's a bad policy at this point.

The coaches I'm familiar with in the WCHA are unlikely to deny a request from all I've seen. It's not a good idea...or anything they want...to have a player who doesn't want to be there on their roster.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bauer86 View Post
                              But since women's hockey does indeed have the one time transfer rule, why aren't the players allowed to use this in all cases? If the player you are referring to is indeed not a franchise player and she wants to leave, only for personal reasons, one would think there would be no restrictions...whats happening up there????
                              Most cases that are denied you would never hear about on this forum. My issue is with highlighting individual cases on this board, and to delve into matters that should be personal/private discussions. This is not good for the player in question, nor for the program in question.

Comment

Working...
                              X