new Notre Dame arena renderings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Notre Dame arena renderings?

I'm anxious to see what the new Notre Dame arena will look like. has anyone seen any renderings or heard any further plans of it's construction?

thanks.

Re: new Notre Dame arena renderings?

The work to prepare the area is underway. Rerouting some underground utilities and other infrastructure is the first step. Actual building construction will likely start in late spring.

Here's some fairly uninformative info about the initial work

As for what it will look like, I believe this is the plan. This rendering has been out there for a while, and I believe it to be an accurate portrayal of what it will look like, at least in terms of the exterior. Due south of the JACC and a little southeast of ND Stadium.

Comment

Looks a lot like the exterior of Yost at Michigan, which was built in 1922.

Comment

There's also this recent animated tour. You have to scroll down to get to the ND hockey arena video.

I've started taking pictures of the area. Gonna keep a record for my scrapbook. Right now there's just a huge pile of dirt and broken pavement with those concrete tubes waiting to become conduits, but it won't be long til we can start to recognize what will be there.

Originally posted by Puck Swami
        Also reminds me of Hobey Baker Rink, except with actual amenities...
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          It's funny you say that. A lot of Michigan fans accuse ND of stealing the original design of Michigan Stadium (football) for their football stadium. I think the whole thing is stupid and petty, but now these people will have more ammo if the new ND hockey arena does in fact end up looking a lot like Yost (even if it's just on the outside).
          Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
            It's funny you say that. A lot of Michigan fans accuse ND of stealing the original design of Michigan Stadium (football) for their football stadium. I think the whole thing is stupid and petty, but now these people will have more ammo if the new ND hockey arena does in fact end up looking a lot like Yost (even if it's just on the outside).
            I wonder if Jeff Jackson's office going to flood just as often as Red's does too.

I would like to see some more renderings/floor plans come to light soon. But that may just be my inner construction geek speaking.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

That's funny.

Michigan based it's stadium design (1926-27) on the Yale Bowl (1914) (at least the big, inground aspect of it). The stadium shape is different -- Yale Bowl is an oval and Michigan is straight on the sides.
              Last edited by Puck Swami; 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Baker Rink at Princeton (1922)
                http://www.princeton.edu/~pumap/images/bakericerink.jpg

Yost at Michigan (1922):
                http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...stIceArena.jpg

Comment

Actually it isn't just an idle accusation. Its true. They were obviously much more similar before the current renovations to Michigan Stadium and Notre Dames addition in 1997. I don't know for sure they were designed by the same people, but memory says they were.

Besides, sports stadiums are like rock music. Everybody steals everything from everyone else.

Comment

Here's some stuff on it -- enlarged renderings and such.

r

Comment

It looks good. Renderings will always change somewhat when the final design decisions are made. I like the seat pitch and the atrium, as well as the timelessness of some of the details. The balconies are cool too.

Comment

ND's stated references for the arena include the new arena at Miami and Matthews Arena in Boston.
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Looks nice.....not that it matters but the DC Frozen Four Banner hanging from the rafters puzzles me.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            ND's stated references for the arena include the new arena at Miami and Matthews Arena in Boston.
                            That rendering of the concourse definitely reminds me of Matthews. Almost more of a theater feel than a hockey arena feel.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Any talk at ND of starting a women's program? Will the plans include locker room facilities for both genders? Or do we have a Michigan/Michigan State mentality here too.

Comment

Working...
                              X