Best/Worst Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/Worst Ice

Whose home rink consistently has the best ice conditions? Who has the worst?

Re: Best/Worst Ice

MacInnes at Michigan Tech in Houghton. good ice.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

i hear ford field has good ice hahahahahahhaha
      NATIONAL CHAMPIONS- 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010
      HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS- 9
      BEANPOT TITLES- We'll let BU fans keep track

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        MacInnes at Michigan Tech in Houghton. good ice.
        It has its moments. I've seen crews out there trying to smooth out the ice near the boards several times. And we have that one goal that keeps popping completely out of the ice, support and all.

I seem to remember a lot of emergency ice work at Sullivan. Might just be me.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The rodents definetly are one of the frontrunners for worst ice.
          A Badger living in Buckeye country.
          Originally posted by MadCityRich
          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Agganis probably has the best in Hockey East and I'd say Merrimack has historically had the worst, although it was allegedly better this year.
            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
            -
            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

I don't know if I can answer this as asked given the number of different rinks I have visited is limited, however the ice at Tate Rink (USMA West Point) is definitely quite soft.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                The rodents definetly are one of the frontrunners for worst ice.
                Unless you are talking about the one game that was played at Target, you're nuts. Mariucci is a little soft, especially late in the season, but far from the worst.

Comment

I've hard that Colgate has fast ice.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                    Agganis probably has the best in Hockey East and I'd say Merrimack has historically had the worst, although it was allegedly better this year.
                    This was my first thought as well. UNH also has very good ice. UMass is probably the second-worst.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Typically, the best ice is found in cold buildings that don't host a lot of other kinds of non-ice events on the ice surface (e.g. conventions, basktball courts, etc.).

Over the years, I've heard different players rave about the ice quality at Harvard, Colgate, North Dakota, Vermont, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        Typically, the best ice is found in cold buildings that don't host a lot of other kinds of non-ice events on the ice surface (e.g. conventions, basktball courts, etc.).

Over the years, I've heard different players rave about the ice quality at Harvard, Colgate, North Dakota, Vermont, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech.
                        Watson Rink at Harvard had the hardest ice I've ever skated on. McHugh's wasn't far behind
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

Strange that Northern Michigan is up there then, since the Berry is also used for basketball. I wonder if Lakeview Arena (Northern's former rink) wasn't the subject of praise, rather than the Berry Events Center?
                          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Unless you are talking about the one game that was played at Target, you're nuts. Mariucci is a little soft, especially late in the season, but far from the worst.
                            Apparently they just make the ice bad when they play the Badgers then...
                            A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                            Originally posted by MadCityRich
                            He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                            Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                            "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                              Apparently they just make the ice bad when they play the Badgers then...
                              That just doesn't make sense. I've never skated on the new Mariucci's ice, but intuitively it just doesn't make sense.
                              Gopher Hockey is a priority for the athletic department, and considering all the rinks in the state you would have to think the people who operate it know what they are doing.
                              I'm not going to try to claim it is one of the best sheets in the country, but it seems totally outlandish to try to claim it as one of the worst.

Especially coming from a fan whose team plays at a dual-purpose facility primarily built for basketball.
                              Last edited by Stauber1; 04-15-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X