The Last 20 Years of College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last 20 Years of College Hockey

I just took a look at the "Frozen Four" over the past 20 years and it shakes out pretty evenly among the big 3. HE, CCHA and WCHA

There were 80 slots available since 1991. The breakdown is as follows:

HE-30
    CCHA- 22
    WCHA -21
    ECAC -5 (Vermont 96 is included in this not HE)
    AHA -1
    CHA - 1

For the Championship Game there are 40 slots.

HE-19 slots 7-10 record (7-12 when including HE vs HE in final)
    - 6 of the losses were by 1 goal , 5 of which were against non HE opponents. Of those 1 went to OT and one to 3OT.

WCHA-12 slots 7-4 record (7-5 when including WCHA vs WCHA in final)
    - 2 losses by 1 goal (both in overtime to non WCHA teams)

CCHA- 9 slots 6-3 record
    - 2 losses by 1 goal (one of them on overtime)

So wins come to 7, 7, and 6 (about as even as you could get)

HE has been in the final 17 of 20 years.
    WCHA has been in the final 11 of 20 years (and won 5 in a row)
    CCHA has been in the final 9 of 20

So HE has a bit of an edge in consistency but overall quite even.

Re: The Last 20 Years of College Hockey

Interesting.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Eastern bias.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

If you're trying to prove a point, you're going to have to do it with a lot more than facts.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
          I just took a look at the "Frozen Four" over the past 20 years and it shakes out pretty evenly among the big 3. HE, CCHA and WCHA
          I hate to hurt my own conference's numbers, but if you're going to count Vermont 1996 in the ECAC, you have to count Northern Michigan 1991 in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
            I hate to hurt my own conference's numbers, but if you're going to count Vermont 1996 in the ECAC, you have to count Northern Michigan 1991 in the WCHA.
            Thanks for the info....this is where my eastern bias comes in I could only find scores back to those dates not conference switches... having gone to school in the east I know the ECAC and HE from way back..

Comment

Here's a massive project, one that I would be astounded if anyone took on:

Last 20 years.
              Starting with Year 1's champion, 4 year cycles. 3 years if you really want to get ambitious, with players leaving early, as a guesstimate of avg recruiting class.

Figure out the numbers then.

Example:

UND wins the title in Year 1. So, for the next 3 years, what has that class done? How many NCAA's, how many F4's, how many titles?

The problem is the "rolling" of the classes, due to natural/unnatural cycle of players leaving (graduating, NHL).

It would really attest to the success of a program, but the amount of work to figure this out would be insane.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Here's a massive project, one that I would be astounded if anyone took on:

Last 20 years.
                Starting with Year 1's champion, 4 year cycles. 3 years if you really want to get ambitious, with players leaving early, as a guesstimate of avg recruiting class.

Figure out the numbers then.

Example:

UND wins the title in Year 1. So, for the next 3 years, what has that class done? How many NCAA's, how many F4's, how many titles?

The problem is the "rolling" of the classes, due to natural/unnatural cycle of players leaving (graduating, NHL).

It would really attest to the success of a program, but the amount of work to figure this out would be insane.

I wouldnt even begin to know where to find that data...and besides someone will neg rep you for the idea..so why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                  Thanks for the info....this is where my eastern bias comes in I could only find scores back to those dates not conference switches... having gone to school in the east I know the ECAC and HE from way back..
                  The switches can be found in the College Hockey Historical Archives under each league's History http://www.augenblick.org/chha/.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                  X