Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
    INCH ranked UND #1 without knowing whether Chay was coming back or not. Their rankings came out Wednesday and Chay made his decision yesterday. With or without him, INCH felt they were the top team. They have their all-WCHA goalie, their entire d-core that was a top 3 defense in the country, and 6 of their top 7 scorers, hard to argue with that. UND has had a 2 year hiatus from the Frozen Four, but prior to that had been there 4 straight years. Miami made it to the Frozen Four the last 2 years, but before that? so everyone has their streaks. Both should have solid teams next year, and in my opinion, UND, Miami and BC are the teams to beat next season. Can't wait!
    You are right, they made a point to say on inch that they didn't know if Chay was coming back. But him returning only strengthens their team. Lossing Van DeVelde is a big loss, IMO. Eidsness is a big concern for me if I were a UND fan. He has struggled in big games, and was soft at times last year. Not saying he is a bad tender but he isn't all WCHA, IMO. Chevy is on a different level than him and Lee at SCSU is better as well.

Im not saying UND shouldn't be ranked #1 they are very very good. I would put BC ahead of them based on them winning the title, but would probably have UND right there at 2 maybe 3 but top 3 for sure. As we saw last season these two squads, Miami and UND, are evenly matched.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      Is it time for us to move away from that style of play then? There is something to be said for having months of continued success within a season, but when it comes down to crunch time, we always lose to the teams that rely on a great transition game and speed speed speed. While we may be the winningest program in terms of win% over the past half of the decade, we still have never won any post season accolades in our 30+ year history.
      Why change? Since they went to this style they program has consistantly improved. They have taken steps every year to get better. Most people wrote them off this year and they got back to the FF. They had never been to a frozen four in the program history and got there the last two years. They will continue to take strides and the post season accolades will come. Don't know how you can say they don't have any. They have two regional championships and two frozen four apperances, those are solid post season accolades that a lot of programs can't say. Miami has a lot of speed, don't know how anyone who watches them consistantly can question that. they just don't play a transition game, but as we saw against Michigan and UND they kept up and went toe to toe with some very quick teams. Yes BC got to them, but that happens. That Miami team against BC wasn't themselves. They looked run down and flat out exhausted. It was almost like they took a deep breath with all of the pressure and talk of if they could get back after the devastating defeat against Boston the year before that they were glad they got back and just got caught off guard, it happens.

This coaching staff knows what they are doing, they are consistantly improving and will get it done. I know we say patience but it is tough to win a national title. Took BC 3 straight FF trips to get one in 08.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        You are right, they made a point to say on inch that they didn't know if Chay was coming back. But him returning only strengthens their team. Lossing Van DeVelde is a big loss, IMO. Eidsness is a big concern for me if I were a UND fan. He has struggled in big games, and was soft at times last year. Not saying he is a bad tender but he isn't all WCHA, IMO. Chevy is on a different level than him and Lee at SCSU is better as well.

Im not saying UND shouldn't be ranked #1 they are very very good. I would put BC ahead of them based on them winning the title, but would probably have UND right there at 2 maybe 3 but top 3 for sure. As we saw last season these two squads, Miami and UND, are evenly matched.
        BC lost very little from last year's championship team. A pair of grinders and a defenseman. UND lost Vandevelde but returns most of their team, too. BC, Miami, and UND are the three top teams next year and at least two if not three of them should be in St. Paul at the Frozen Four next season.
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Yes please...
          While Trouba could grow into an intimidating presence, there might not be the right word to describe the look Seth Jones might elicit before he's done growing. The son of former NBA standout Jerome "Popeye" Jones, Seth is already 6-4, 175 pounds. He doesn't have an early favorite, but includes Denver, North Dakota and Miami among the programs interested.

"Seth is an elite thinker of the game offensively," Rezmierski said. "He can think a play out offensively like an NHLer would and he's just dynamic from the offensive blue line getting pucks through, making the right pass, stick-handling. He needs to learn the defensive game more but his upside his huge.

"He can skate and he can move, and he could be 6-6 before he's done growing. He's another kid that wants to get better too and you just love that always-willing-to-learn attitude."
          http://collegehockey247.rivals.com/c...sp?CID=1082395

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            pretty interesting. Another top of the line player. Thats what happens when your programe achieves elite status.....

Comment

Let's hope they keep rolling in. No points for seconud place in recruiting, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                Let's hope they keep rolling in. No points for seconud place in recruiting, sadly.
                Well your not going to pull in everyone. Miami still has to offer. Just because they show interest doesn't mean a whole lot. But obviously there is mutual interest if they are mentioned. The positive thing is that these top of the line players, blue chippers if you will, are considering Miami more and more. Not all of them fit into the program but the thing you need to take away most is that they are being considered.

Also noted, Miami doesn't need to pull in the "blue chippers" to be successfull. They haven't had a top 5 recruiting class outside of this years senior class. They find the diamonds in the rough and are able to develop them. That is something to keep in mind also when looking at these type of things.

Comment

So essentially you want to see the saturday games or Lake St. and BG??? lol

There is something to your arguement. I definantly see where you are coming from. I just think it is because of their style of play to why they don't blow teams out or have huge leads. Usually when they get their leads it is late in games because they have worn teams down and capitalized on mistakes. They aren't a run and gun team like say a BC who likes to get up and down the ice.

I understand peopla want to see a lot of goals and dominate teams etc....but we are all going to have to accept the fact that it just isn't the style of hockey Miami plays. And over the last 6 years it has proven to be successful since they are the winningest program over that time span.

Not going to bash ya because I see and understand where you are coming from.
                  I definitely agree that what we have works for 95% of the teams in the country. And like you said, it's not about Miami being slower or less talented than anyone else. They've played toe to toe with some incredibly talented teams the past few years. I just think it's a state of mind that the guys can turn on when needed. In my mind, it's about mental toughness as much as game planning. We have the personel to play a variety of styles and not just one (as we've seen before).
                  Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                    Unfortunately, you don't get points for 1st either.

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

Comment

Well your not going to pull in everyone. Miami still has to offer. Just because they show interest doesn't mean a whole lot. But obviously there is mutual interest if they are mentioned. The positive thing is that these top of the line players, blue chippers if you will, are considering Miami more and more. Not all of them fit into the program but the thing you need to take away most is that they are being considered.

Also noted, Miami doesn't need to pull in the "blue chippers" to be successfull. They haven't had a top 5 recruiting class outside of this years senior class. They find the diamonds in the rough and are able to develop them. That is something to keep in mind also when looking at these type of things.
                      That is key, IMO. The staff has an unbelievable ability to get guys that fit into roles and develop those kids into gems. The beautiful thing to me, tho, is that they seem to get more and more NHL talent every year. Now all we have to do is do so well that some NHL GM will complain that Rico only focuses on winning college games and not developing NHL players.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                        That is key, IMO. The staff has an unbelievable ability to get guys that fit into roles and develop those kids into gems. The beautiful thing to me, tho, is that they seem to get more and more NHL talent every year. Now all we have to do is do so well that some NHL GM will complain that Rico only focuses on winning college games and not developing NHL players.
                        Haha yea they have upgraded in the type of gems they have found. However there are a lot of good character guys that are phenominal hockey players as well. Those type of players are now looking at Miami because of their success and their mission. I think that is the biggest difference now, those kids are flocking to oxford instead of all of them going to Denver, Grand Forks, Ann Arbor, or Boston.

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                        I definitely agree that what we have works for 95% of the teams in the country. And like you said, it's not about Miami being slower or less talented than anyone else. They've played toe to toe with some incredibly talented teams the past few years. I just think it's a state of mind that the guys can turn on when needed. In my mind, it's about mental toughness as much as game planning. We have the personel to play a variety of styles and not just one (as we've seen before).
                        The last 5% will come. Its all about adjustments. The coaching staff made the adjustments the last two years and got the team to the FF. Now its about analyzing how teams are breaking the system and making adjustments. Being able to have the team more prepared for changes on the fly. Got to look at it this way, Jerry York is in his 60's. He won 1 title at BG in the 80's but it took him around 30 years to be dominant. Thats a lot of experience that was needed to get to that point. Coach Blasi is in his late 30's he has already absorbed a lot but there is always more to learn. Knowing what I know of him he continues to learn each and every year which only makes him a better coach and in turn makes his teams better. I know we preach patience a lot but that is what it is, things aren't going to happen over night. And what we have learned is over the last decade the team and program has gradually gotten better.

Comment

The coaching staff made the adjustments the last two years and got the team to the FF.
                          Not to flame, but your coach cost them the national championship in DC. He was the only person in the building who didn't see the need of calling a timeout when BU made it 3-2. As you might guess, I was rooting for MU and was stunned when he didn't take the timeout. That was such a huge error that I'm not sure he'll get over it until all of the players from that team are gone.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

In the NCAAs, teams that recruit players who are better suited for the college game win. Boston College just won a title with many of their top players under 5"10 and will spend as much time in the NHL as you and I.

The rankings are always based on NHL Scouting bureaus, etc and aren't always accurate to gauge how good a school's class is in regards to how they'll perform at the NCAA level. Its nice to have NHL guys, but I'd rather have a stable of fast and small forwards who want to win a national title and not as a stepping stone to a NHL career.

Comment

Loving the very up to date photo on the front-page.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                                Not to flame, but your coach cost them the national championship in DC. He was the only person in the building who didn't see the need of calling a timeout when BU made it 3-2. As you might guess, I was rooting for MU and was stunned when he didn't take the timeout. That was such a huge error that I'm not sure he'll get over it until all of the players from that team are gone.
                                That comment wasn't refering to the title game. Probably should of called a time out, but he historically doesn't call it. If you remember in the Regional final in '08 with a 2 goal lead against BC he didn't call it when BC scored 2 quick ones late in the second. BC then scored a third before the end of the 2nd period to steal momentum. Im not sure why he doesn't, but he doesn't like to call time outs in those situations. Maybe he puts too much trust in his players and thinks that his message he preaches at all times will ring true, but a reminder from time to time doesn't hurt lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X