Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    TOMMY WINGELS
    Miami
    The assumption is that goalie Cody Reichard is the RedHawks’ top Hobey candidate, but we prefer Wingels, a versatile forward (aren’t they all at Miami?) with good size who is skilled and shifty enough to score in bunches. With just two top contributors from last season moving on, the RedHawks will again be among the teams in the preseason spotlight … and Wingels can take advantage of the eyes trained on Miami.

Inside College Hockey has their top 10 pre season hobey canidates up.

for me the question I have is in the second to last sentance they say "with just two top contributors from last season moving on"

are they just wrong or have I completely missed something...Besides Palmer who is the other "top contributor" gone???
    Clearly Dane Hetland....?

They must have misread someones class on a stat sheet when writing that article.

Comment

Clearly the second player they mention was our lone senior defenceman from this season

INCH probably just looked and saw B with 35 games played and thought it necessary to put him in there also.

Comment

It could also be the same writer that said Steffes would be the X factor for Miami this season and he just didn't bother to look at a box score all year

Comment

That would be the all knowing Dave starman who said that about steffes

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
            It could also be the same writer that said Steffes would be the X factor for Miami this season and he just didn't bother to look at a box score all year
            Lol just making sure I didn't miss anything lol. I would assume they were referring to Steffes then, as prior to last year he was a solid contributor.

I wouldn't be hard on Staarman with that comment, I expect a lot out of Steffes too, just didn't work out.
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Lol just making sure I didn't miss anything lol. I would assume they were referring to Steffes then, as prior to last year he was a solid contributor.

I wouldn't be hard on Staarman with that comment, I expect a lot out of Steffes too, just didn't work out.
              If he had said that during the SCSU or UNH series, sure, he could get a pass, when he could have been expected to be an impact player again. But Starman saying it in February, when Steffes had stopped dressing regularly, and had 1 assist in his ~15 games up to that point, no. We get to keep making fun of him for that. Starman is now up there with the Miami Student columnist who declared us a dynasty.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                If he had said that during the SCSU or UNH series, sure, he could get a pass, when he could have been expected to be an impact player again. But Starman saying it in February, when Steffes had stopped dressing regularly, and had 1 assist in his ~15 games up to that point, no. We get to keep making fun of him for that. Starman is now up there with the Miami Student columnist who declared us a dynasty.
                Lol I didn't know he said it in february.....I tried starman, can't help you there lol....

continue making fun....
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

INCH 10 for '11 teams...
                  http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...-11-the-teams/

3. MIAMI
                  2009-10 Record: 29-8-7
                  Key Returnees: F Carter Camper, G Connor Knapp, G Cody Reichard, D Chris Wideman, F Tommy Wingels
                  Key Losses: F Jarod Palmer, D/F Brandon Smith

Expect program sales at Goggin 2.0 to be down next season. That’s because the RedHawks have so many returnees-all but two players who dressed for the team’s Frozen Four loss to Boston College are expected to come back-that rosters won’t be necessary. The forwards, led by Carter Camper, Andy Miele, and Tommy Wingels, can pile up the points. Of course, with the goaltending tandem of Connor Knapp and Cody Reichard and Miami’s sound defensive philosophy, outscoring opponents is rarely an issue.
                  Well, I guess that solves the mystery about whom the second of the top two contributors they think we're losing was.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                    INCH 10 for '11 teams...
                    http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...-11-the-teams/

Well, I guess that solves the mystery about whom the second of the top two contributors they think we're losing was.
                    hmmmm While I love Brandon Smith, not a big loss in terms of on ice production lol.

#3 isn't bad pre season behind those two teams....Nothing better than opening the season against the preseason #4 ranked team lol. Also, pretty cool that Alaska cracked the top 10.

Comment

I am officially ending my hiatus from college hockey - shortened by my Capitals inability to solve Jaroslav Halak.

I'm gonna take the cheesy route and say that "In the Brotherhood, everyone is a major contributor." Ergo, anyone lost to graduation is a big loss.

[everyone groan and roll eyes together, lol]

In terms of a high ranking, I would feel comfortable being anywhere from #3-5. Not because I can think of who would be above us, but I think we're a top 5 team and it gives us a good mix of confidence and hunger for the fans. (I really don't thnk it means anything for the team) The only problem i have with INCH.com preseason poll is NoDak at #1. They have the talent no doubt. But they seem to be ranked in the top 5 every year and don't even make it out of the regionals the past few years. It may be picky, but I can't see anyone but BC as the #1.
                      Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

I'm also going to post my Second Annual Summer Topic of Gripe 2010:

You know what I think is separating Miami from the past 2 National Championship teams (besides 7 goals)? A killer instinct. I realize that I'm gonna get killed by the majority of the MU posters on here, defending our beloved alma mater. And I begrudge all of you no such right. However, pray oblige me this short time to explain.

How many times have we watched our men have to defend a 6-on-5 because that 1 goal lead wasn't at 3 as it should have been? Granted, there are advantages of playing in close games throughout the year: you are never out of a game; you are used to it come playoff time and doing get tight; you play to control the play. Also, Miami has shown the ability (save the BC loss in the national sem-finals) to score when needed. They faced a 2 goal deficit 4 times last year and responded nearly every single time to at least tie the game. But what I want to see is that absolute hunger to absolutely bury teams early and often. I want to see 2 and 3 goal leads in the first period. I want to have our opponents embarassed and demoralized after 20 minutes of play. With our goaltending, this shouldn't be overly difficult.

Fire away, ladies and gents.
                        Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                          I'm also going to post my Second Annual Summer Topic of Gripe 2010:

You know what I think is separating Miami from the past 2 National Championship teams (besides 7 goals)? A killer instinct. I realize that I'm gonna get killed by the majority of the MU posters on here, defending our beloved alma mater. And I begrudge all of you no such right. However, pray oblige me this short time to explain.

How many times have we watched our men have to defend a 6-on-5 because that 1 goal lead wasn't at 3 as it should have been? Granted, there are advantages of playing in close games throughout the year: you are never out of a game; you are used to it come playoff time and doing get tight; you play to control the play. Also, Miami has shown the ability (save the BC loss in the national sem-finals) to score when needed. They faced a 2 goal deficit 4 times last year and responded nearly every single time to at least tie the game. But what I want to see is that absolute hunger to absolutely bury teams early and often. I want to see 2 and 3 goal leads in the first period. I want to have our opponents embarassed and demoralized after 20 minutes of play. With our goaltending, this shouldn't be overly difficult.

Fire away, ladies and gents.
                          So essentially you want to see the saturday games or Lake St. and BG??? lol

There is something to your arguement. I definantly see where you are coming from. I just think it is because of their style of play to why they don't blow teams out or have huge leads. Usually when they get their leads it is late in games because they have worn teams down and capitalized on mistakes. They aren't a run and gun team like say a BC who likes to get up and down the ice.

I understand peopla want to see a lot of goals and dominate teams etc....but we are all going to have to accept the fact that it just isn't the style of hockey Miami plays. And over the last 6 years it has proven to be successful since they are the winningest program over that time span.

Not going to bash ya because I see and understand where you are coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                            I am officially ending my hiatus from college hockey - shortened by my Capitals inability to solve Jaroslav Halak.

I'm gonna take the cheesy route and say that "In the Brotherhood, everyone is a major contributor." Ergo, anyone lost to graduation is a big loss.

[everyone groan and roll eyes together, lol]

In terms of a high ranking, I would feel comfortable being anywhere from #3-5. Not because I can think of who would be above us, but I think we're a top 5 team and it gives us a good mix of confidence and hunger for the fans. (I really don't thnk it means anything for the team) The only problem i have with INCH.com preseason poll is NoDak at #1. They have the talent no doubt. But they seem to be ranked in the top 5 every year and don't even make it out of the regionals the past few years. It may be picky, but I can't see anyone but BC as the #1.
                            I don't care where we are ranked, but its a given they are a top 5 team lol. I think the reason No Dak is there over BC is because BC losses a couple solid guys and UND gets Chay Genoway back, who is a difference maker in all facets of the game. I think that is why they get the nod, he missed all but 9 games last year. You can't look at a team losing in the regional the last couple years and penalize them. They went to like 6 frozen fours in this decade so I think they are worthy of it lol.

Comment

I don't care where we are ranked, but its a given they are a top 5 team lol. I think the reason No Dak is there over BC is because BC losses a couple solid guys and UND gets Chay Genoway back, who is a difference maker in all facets of the game. I think that is why they get the nod, he missed all but 9 games last year. You can't look at a team losing in the regional the last couple years and penalize them. They went to like 6 frozen fours in this decade so I think they are worthy of it lol.
                              INCH ranked UND #1 without knowing whether Chay was coming back or not. Their rankings came out Wednesday and Chay made his decision yesterday. With or without him, INCH felt they were the top team. They have their all-WCHA goalie, their entire d-core that was a top 3 defense in the country, and 6 of their top 7 scorers, hard to argue with that. UND has had a 2 year hiatus from the Frozen Four, but prior to that had been there 4 straight years. Miami made it to the Frozen Four the last 2 years, but before that? so everyone has their streaks. Both should have solid teams next year, and in my opinion, UND, Miami and BC are the teams to beat next season. Can't wait!

Comment

So essentially you want to see the saturday games or Lake St. and BG??? lol

There is something to your arguement. I definantly see where you are coming from. I just think it is because of their style of play to why they don't blow teams out or have huge leads. Usually when they get their leads it is late in games because they have worn teams down and capitalized on mistakes. They aren't a run and gun team like say a BC who likes to get up and down the ice.

I understand peopla want to see a lot of goals and dominate teams etc....but we are all going to have to accept the fact that it just isn't the style of hockey Miami plays. And over the last 6 years it has proven to be successful since they are the winningest program over that time span.

Not going to bash ya because I see and understand where you are coming from.
                                Is it time for us to move away from that style of play then? There is something to be said for having months of continued success within a season, but when it comes down to crunch time, we always lose to the teams that rely on a great transition game and speed speed speed. While we may be the winningest program in terms of win% over the past half of the decade, we still have never won any post season accolades in our 30+ year history.

Comment

Working...
                                X