Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    Besides the coaching, work with the 1 or 2 seniors we will have and learn how its done. Not sure where he will play this year but I would hope its juniors somewhere. If he plays prep he will not be here until 2012. Listen I trust the coaching staff but it seems odd that they would wait. Things could change obviously as Knapp came in a year ahead of schedule but got to think 2012 is the worst case scenerio.

Obviously there are a lot of reasons when someone comes in, but Williams may not graduate from high school until '12, so, short of accelerating, that could explain it. I believe he was a '12 at Hotchkiss, although I am not 100% sure of that.

Also, scholarship arrangements/commitments are a factor as well as who else MU is recruiting. We all know given that Miami has two goalies in the same year, that someone else is currently on the radar. Miami is sort of in the position they were when Zatkoff was going to be a junior - ideally you want to be covered if he leaves or not. Knapp came in a year earlier than anticipated/necessary when Zat left as rhm pointed out. I understand the "get 'em here" argument, but do you think recruits want to be in that situation when there is a good alternative for development/playing regularly(USHL) vs. being a #3 on campus or red shirting and not playing at all? Moreover, if both Knapp and Reichard stay, can Miami carry three goalies (and absorb the scholarship hit)? I would rather be in a situation where one of the two recruited goalies could come in '11 if necessary, but both could also come in '12, depending on what happens and how they progress. I can live with two freshmen goalies if it gets MU back to the NC game as the freshmen goalies did in '09. As rhm said, I'm sure the coaches have a handle on it, although we are available for advice if they need it.

The ideal scenario is MU will have two good recruits coming. Given Williams is a '93 and possibly a '12 high schooler, the other recruit should be a '92 or older and an '11 high school graduation or older.

There is one thing that shuold work to MU's advantage. MU has demonstrated the last six years that no goalie is the annointed one. Coach Blasi will give both a shot and will play both if no one clearly emerges or even if both play well (see walk-on Effinger). Even though Zatkoff was a third round NHL pick and a great goalie, Effinger earned significant time and got it. Zat did not emerge clearly as the man until well into Effinger's senior year (Zat's junior year). Two strong goalies can come to Miami and play and still get the contract as Zatkoff did. With Williams in the fold, this is really a nice problem to have. But, of course, as I always say, no matter what, you never know with goalies.

Comment

Besides the coaching, work with the 1 or 2 seniors we will have and learn how its done. Not sure where he will play this year but I would hope its juniors somewhere. If he plays prep he will not be here until 2012. Listen I trust the coaching staff but it seems odd that they would wait. Things could change obviously as Knapp came in a year ahead of schedule but got to think 2012 is the worst case scenerio.
      I believe Waterloo of the USHL owns his rights, so hopefully he can head out there this season and get some action. But who knows.

Comment

http://www.goalieacademy.com/

According to this site, he will play with Waterloo this year, had several offers on the table, but Miami has been his #1 choice for years. Wonder who the other schools that offered were.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
          Obviously there are a lot of reasons when someone comes in, but Williams may not graduate from high school until '12, so, short of accelerating, that could explain it. I believe he was a '12 at Hotchkiss, although I am not 100% sure of that.

Also, scholarship arrangements/commitments are a factor as well as who else MU is recruiting. We all know given that Miami has two goalies in the same year, that someone else is currently on the radar. Miami is sort of in the position they were when Zatkoff was going to be a junior - ideally you want to be covered if he leaves or not. Knapp came in a year earlier than anticipated/necessary when Zat left as rhm pointed out. I understand the "get 'em here" argument, but do you think recruits want to be in that situation when there is a good alternative for development/playing regularly(USHL) vs. being a #3 on campus or red shirting and not playing at all? Moreover, if both Knapp and Reichard stay, can Miami carry three goalies (and absorb the scholarship hit)? I would rather be in a situation where one of the two recruited goalies could come in '11 if necessary, but both could also come in '12, depending on what happens and how they progress. I can live with two freshmen goalies if it gets MU back to the NC game as the freshmen goalies did in '09. As rhm said, I'm sure the coaches have a handle on it, although we are available for advice if they need it.

The ideal scenario is MU will have two good recruits coming. Given Williams is a '93 and possibly a '12 high schooler, the other recruit should be a '92 or older and an '11 high school graduation or older.

There is one thing that shuold work to MU's advantage. MU has demonstrated the last six years that no goalie is the annointed one. Coach Blasi will give both a shot and will play both if no one clearly emerges or even if both play well (see walk-on Effinger). Even though Zatkoff was a third round NHL pick and a great goalie, Effinger earned significant time and got it. Zat did not emerge clearly as the man until well into Effinger's senior year (Zat's junior year). Two strong goalies can come to Miami and play and still get the contract as Zatkoff did. With Williams in the fold, this is really a nice problem to have. But, of course, as I always say, no matter what, you never know with goalies.
          And no one thought Effinger would do anything like he did in his career after his first collegiate game....Ill never forget the schlacking he took in columbus at Ohio St. lol.

This is the redeagle I miss in the offseason. Great post with lots of info and a post that makes you think!

If Williams was at the U-17 festival he will graduate before 2012. They go by birth year in that. If he is 17 this year he should graduate from high school this year unless he was held back.

I get what your saying about not wanting to sit behind anyone, but I think its a little different if you come in as a freshman and sit behind these guys for a year and learns the colligiate game. It can go a long way in development.

As for the scholarship allocation etc... with the current commitments and who we will be lossing after this year that shouldnt be an issue. We are already a short atleast one scholarship guy this year and will lose around 8 guys after this year. That would leave about 9 scholarships to fill next season. Now there could and are other guys in the mix for next year, I get that but things can be worked around. Drop a guy like Tiesling etc. and you can make things work. I also agree with you that there is another goaltender in the mix, there has to be and that could be the case as to why Williams is slated for 2012 but if they bring someone else in in 2011 then Williams could be behind the 8 ball when he gets here. But more to what you said this staff isn't afraid to play two tenders and Im sure these guys know that so shouldn't be a factor in his decision.

Regardless just like I said earlier and what you stated as well, this staff knows what they are doing and it may give us a little insight that Knapp is probably going to be here all 4 years. This is a good problem to have when you have so many talented players slated to come into the program and it gets a little dicy at times to how things will shape up but I would also like to think they would want to get away from the big lump of a senior class and spread it out a little more which will be tough but you want to make sure you get these guys in at the right times for them and the program.

I just found it a little interesting that is when he was slated to come in.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            http://www.goalieacademy.com/

According to this site, he will play with Waterloo this year, had several offers on the table, but Miami has been his #1 choice for years. Wonder who the other schools that offered were.
            Not sure how you missed this but Jay Williams will play for Team USA in the Ivan Hilinka tournament. He was also selected 3rd overall in this years USHL draft.....going out on a limb but this kid seems to be legit. He put up great numbers at the selected festival and caught the eyes of USA Hockey. Boy Miami will be represented well in that Hilinka tournament. I love it, get these guys on the ice together as much as possible before coming to oxford only helps them get familiar with each other and build relationships before getting here.
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Not sure how you missed this but Jay Williams will play for Team USA in the Ivan Hilinka tournament. He was also selected 3rd overall in this years USHL draft.....going out on a limb but this kid seems to be legit. He put up great numbers at the selected festival and caught the eyes of USA Hockey. Boy Miami will be represented well in that Hilinka tournament. I love it, get these guys on the ice together as much as possible before coming to oxford only helps them get familiar with each other and build relationships before getting here.
              That is good to see, but wasn't Berschbach a star in the Hlinka? Just sayin'. Ya' never know.

By the way, I do remember Effinger's first game. Miami had swept BU and Northeastern in the Lefty and then swept Notre Dame to start 4-0. C-W misses a class (or two), gets benched, and Charlie gets thrown in there. Ugh. Miami then loses seven in a row and has so many injuries they did not dress 20 for a home game. Charlie rebounded that year pretty well, all things considered, and then had a great sophomore year along with Zatkoff (league RS champ). I'm sure Charlie will never forget that first game either.

Comment

If Williams was at the U-17 festival he will graduate before 2012. They go by birth year in that. If he is 17 this year he should graduate from high school this year unless he was held back.
                Not necessarily...if his birthdate after September he would have had to wait the next year to start school (if I wasn't so lazy I'd look up his birthdate...lol) so he could be a year behind other '93 birth year kids grade wise...

And since he's a prep school kid, many of the prep schools kids will actually repeat a grade when they first get there - all depends on strength of prvious school, test scores, etc...that was the case when we looked into prep as an option...

BTW, hear some very good things about this young man...

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                  Not necessarily...if his birthdate after September he would have had to wait the next year to start school (if I wasn't so lazy I'd look up his birthdate...lol) so he could be a year behind other '93 birth year kids grade wise...

And since he's a prep school kid, many of the prep schools kids will actually repeat a grade when they first get there - all depends on strength of prvious school, test scores, etc...that was the case when we looked into prep as an option...

Yea, I just searched it on the Hotchkiss site and found where he was listed as a '12 there (below).

That's good to hear, fangers. You never know with on-the-ice (especially with goalies ), but you can be more certain with off-the-ice. Miami has done a nice job of that in the recent past.

http://www.hotchkiss.org/news/detail...28&ModuleID=27

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                    That is good to see, but wasn't Berschbach a star in the Hlinka? Just sayin'. Ya' never know.

By the way, I do remember Effinger's first game. Miami had swept BU and Northeastern in the Lefty and then swept Notre Dame to start 4-0. C-W misses a class (or two), gets benched, and Charlie gets thrown in there. Ugh. Miami then loses seven in a row and has so many injuries they did not dress 20 for a home game. Charlie rebounded that year pretty well, all things considered, and then had a great sophomore year along with Zatkoff (league RS champ). I'm sure Charlie will never forget that first game either.
                    I understand where you are going with berschbach, but as you know that had nothing to do with Miami. Boy would things be different had that worked out this year. Miami have 5 recruits playing in that tournament? Still beneficial to have those guys playing together and getting familiar with each other before getting to campus.

Originally posted by fangers View Post

Good points, **** prep schools! I would assume his grades are pretty solid to get into Miami, especially if he wants to be apart of that business school. Guy who runs that department is a stickley , so I hear atleast...lol

Comment

Anyone know if we might get a glimpse of what the Adidas sweaters are going to look like before October 3rd? Assuming they made the switch from Nike as expected.

Comment

If this holds, Austin Czarnik is a huge pick up for Miami!!

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ses-ushl-miami
                        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                          If this holds, Austin Czarnik is a huge pick up for Miami!!

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ses-ushl-miami
                          HUGE pick up by Miami....I didn't think it was possible based on conversations I had had. I tell you this, you hate to lose two great coaches/recruiters like Coach Blashill and Coach Bergeron but with 3 commitments that have been made since the latest departure shows you that this current staff is more than capable of bringing in the talent based on the belief system. Not to mention we have been ( as well as Boston College ) successful with undersized forwards with great hands and the ability to finish. Ala their head coach. Positive news continues to flow in this summer, with august here hockey season is right around the corner.

Comment

Next years class, wowwww. There should be no drop off in goal scoring. This is probably the best class of forwards we've ever had. Mullin, Biggs, Gacek, Kuraly, Coleman, Czarnik.

Comment

With the USNTDP 18 team last year he had this line...

61 Games -- 22-32--54.

That put him 5th in goals, 3rd in assists, and 3rd in points against some very good competition.

Comment

Very good commit for Miami. Just to keep my pessimistic reputation intact, it's a long time until August 2011. My guess is the OHL will continue to court Czarnik and Biggs. But, at least on paper, right now, this is a strong group. As the Western blog mentioned, this is a good/smart decision for Czarnik. He is smaller and has the opportunity for a "great education" (that's a quote ) while still pursuing what I am sure is his NHL dream.

As rhm said Miami has had great success with "undersized" players, and not just forwards. Dan Boyle and Andy Greene have done ok as undrafted smaller d men also.

Anyway, welcome aboard Mr. Czarnik.

jd mentioned Coleman. I've seen him a couple of times in the USHL and I think he will be a nice complement to some of these forwards (along with McKenzie ). Coleman plays hard and physical, decent size, and does not take anything from anybody. I know he has been lost in this, but both times I have seen him, he flew around and stuff happened. Again, I think he will be a nice fit (and he was an Ivy league recruit which means he's a good stduent as well).

Comment

Working...
                                X