Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    We won't know about Loverde until next fall most likely, lots of test and stuff over the summer. Never mess around with a heart issue. I wouldn't expect Kennedy to play much next season. I would think he atleast dresses for a few games, but even if Loverde can't go you still have 6 other guys in front of Kennedy. He is a big body though, thick kid. Not a great skater but has good hockey sense. I would say his skating ability is similar to Weber's his freshman year. He has progressed though. Good thing, though, is that tomassoni can play forward so he is an option up there next year and they could still bring in a defenseman this summer.
    I think Tomassoni deserves a pass. In and out of the lineup and being shuffled all around between D and forward, sometimes even during games, is not a good way to have a solid season.
    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

One of the Boston fans, Federal League, has a signature that lists the places he's seen a college hockey game so got me thinking. Here are mine...that I can think of off hand. How bout you?

Goggin Ice Arena (the old Goggin)
      Steve Cady Arena
      BGSU Ice Arena
      OSU Ice Rink
      Lawson Ice Arena (Western Michigan)
      Yost Ice Arena
      Munn Ice Arena
      Cincinnati Gardens
      US Bank Arena (formerly the Crown, Riverfront Coliseum)
      Mariucci Arena
      Ford Field
      Joe Louis Arena
      Verizon Center
      Allen County War Memorial Coliseum (Ft. Wayne)
      Value City Arena (Ohio St.)
      Van Andel Arena (Grand Rapids)
      RMU Island Sports Center (Robert Morris)
      Mellon Arena (Pittsburgh)
      Nationwide Arena

Trying to think if there are others.
      Last edited by redhawk95; 04-17-2010, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
        I think Tomassoni deserves a pass. In and out of the lineup and being shuffled all around between D and forward, sometimes even during games, is not a good way to have a solid season.
        I agree, especially after his performance in their run to the title game last year. He came up big during that run, but the problem this year is there just wasn't any room for him which is a good problem to have when a player of his caliber can't crack your lineup....
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

One of the Boston fans, Federal League, has a signature that lists the places he's seen a college hockey game so got me thinking. Here are mine...that I can think of off hand. How bout you?

Steve Cady Arena
          OSU Ice Rink
          Munn Ice Arena
          Cincinnati Gardens
          Ford Field
          Joe Louis Arena
          Verizon Center

All the ones I left up there,
          + Joyce (Notre Dame)

Comment

Steve Cady Arena
            BGSU Ice Arena
            OSU Ice Rink
            Yost Ice Arena
            Munn Ice Arena
            Cincinnati Gardens
            Mariucci Arena
            Ford Field
            Joe Louis Arena
            Verizon Center
            RMU Island Sports Center (Robert Morris)
            Mellon Arena (Pittsburgh)

hmmmm how are we narrowing this down? all college and professional arenas?
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

just rinks you've seen college games in

Comment

Based on everyone elses schedules right now (which isn't much), this is what we're looking at so far...

Oct 8 - 9 UNH
                Oct 15-16 @ St Cloud
                Oct 22-23 Northern
                Dec 29-30 -- Florida College Classic (Maine, Cornell, St Cloud)
                Last edited by mcfarljd; 04-17-2010, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Which reminded me to add Nationwide Arena to my list. That was a pretty big miss considering I see it nearly every day!
                  Last edited by redhawk95; 04-17-2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Good call on nationwide. The early Ohio hockey classic with 2000 fans

Comment

Steve Cady Arena
                      BGSU Ice Arena
                      OSU Ice Rink
                      Yost Ice Arena
                      Munn Ice Arena
                      Cincinnati Gardens
                      Ford Field
                      Joe Louis Arena
                      Verizon Center
                      Nationwide Arena
                      Joyce Center ( Notre Dame )
                      Kent St.
                      Findlay arena
                      Ewigleben Arena ( Ferris St. )
                      World Arena ( Colorado College )
                      Magness Arena ( Denver )
                      Kohl center ( Wisconsin )
                      National Hockey center ( St. Cloud state )
                      Wayne county fair grounds (Wayne St.)
                      Nutter Center

I believe that is all....
                      Last edited by redhawkman10; 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

My work schedule prevents me from going to a lot of games. I've only seen them play games at:

The Goggin
                        Steve Cady Arena
                        Nationwide Arena

(I hope that doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan. )

BUT...I have seen the Miami Redskins practice at the old Hamilton Sports Arena back in the day. Wayyyy...back in the day.
                        You just gotta love the "Brotherhood"
                        GO HAWKS!

Comment

No less of a fan, that's for sure Porch. Ah, the old Hamilton Sports Arena - the afternoon sun angling into the open air rink - the way it ought to be, well except when it is foggy and/or raining or ten below. Some great memories from Hamilton. Porch I believe I have the Miami Student article from the first Miami club game at Hamilton.

I think my list is the same as rhm's except I do not have his last six (Ferris, CC, DU, Wisco, St Cloud, Wayne St) or Lawson, but I do have Harvard (Bright), the old rinks at BC and BU (not the current ones), Northeastern (Matthews?), Boston Garden (Beanpot), and the old Madison Square Garden for a college game back in the day. I've probably seen thirty college basketball games at the Garden (MSG), but only one college hockey game there.

Comment

Don't know if any of you were at the banquet last night, but it was something. First, props to the Blue Line Club and all those who organized the night - it was fantastic and went off without a hitch, and it was packed.

I've been to 29 of the last 30 banquets and this was the most emotional of all. Rick Vaive, Justin's Dad (obviously), presented the Grant Seventh Man Award posthumously to Brendan Burke. Brendan Burke's mother and brother were at the banquet to accept the award. Brendan's brother was so moving and grateful to Miami - I don't think there was a dry eye in the place. He heaped praise on the coaches and players, said how much Brendan loved Miami and the team, and mentioned he has been around a lot of hockey teams and programs in his life, but he has never seen anything quite like Miami. The video tribute to Brendan was moving, although difficult to watch, at least for me - so sad.

The seniors are always good, or bad, or funny, but again, I have not seen anything like the four last night. Collectively, they were the best. Dane Hetland's speech was perhaps the best I have ever heard at one of these banquets. He definitely turned the mood after the Burkie tribute. Dane was hysterical about himself and his teammates, and also moving, especially when he got to his family. Brandon Smith was very good as well, but more serious. What a story going from zero minutes his first two years to scoring some important goals and playing in the Frozen Four. Gary Steffes was excellent talking about going from scoring a goal in the national championship game to his role this year. He managed to make that positive when many others would not have. Props to him. Jarod Palmer was interesting in that he talked about how Miami had changed him in so many positive ways, especially in terms of being accountable to and trusting others and being unselfish. All four seniors stayed for four years, excelled in the classroom and in the community, and will graduate on time.

Rico does not usually say much at these things, but he did last night, about these seniors and, of course, about Berge. Rico was the best I have ever seen him.

You can't replace a Chris Bergeron (and a Jeff Blashill), not to mention seniors like the last few years, so I am sure Miami hockey will have its ups and downs in the future, all programs do, but if the program can capture and maintain what I saw last night, I think we will have something of which we can always be proud, I know I am. Love and honor were definitely on display last night. Thanks to all who made it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                              No less of a fan, that's for sure Porch. Ah, the old Hamilton Sports Arena - the afternoon sun angling into the open air rink - the way it ought to be, well except when it is foggy and/or raining or ten below. Some great memories from Hamilton. Porch I believe I have the Miami Student article from the first Miami club game at Hamilton.

I think my list is the same as rhm's except I do not have his last six (Ferris, CC, DU, Wisco, St Cloud, Wayne St) or Lawson, but I do have Harvard (Bright), the old rinks at BC and BU (not the current ones), Northeastern (Matthews?), Boston Garden (Beanpot), and the old Madison Square Garden for a college game back in the day. I've probably seen thirty college basketball games at the Garden (MSG), but only one college hockey game there.
                              Best memory of the old Hamilton arena was coach Davadge having a line on the ice, one on the bench, and the third in the lobby at the fire pit warming your feet up.... might be one of those 10 below days you were referring too lol.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                                Don't know if any of you were at the banquet last night, but it was something. First, props to the Blue Line Club and all those who organized the night - it was fantastic and went off without a hitch, and it was packed.

I've been to 29 of the last 30 banquets and this was the most emotional of all. Rick Vaive, Justin's Dad (obviously), presented the Grant Seventh Man Award posthumously to Brendan Burke. Brendan Burke's mother and brother were at the banquet to accept the award. Brendan's brother was so moving and grateful to Miami - I don't think there was a dry eye in the place. He heaped praise on the coaches and players, said how much Brendan loved Miami and the team, and mentioned he has been around a lot of hockey teams and programs in his life, but he has never seen anything quite like Miami. The video tribute to Brendan was moving, although difficult to watch, at least for me - so sad.

The seniors are always good, or bad, or funny, but again, I have not seen anything like the four last night. Collectively, they were the best. Dane Hetland's speech was perhaps the best I have ever heard at one of these banquets. He definitely turned the mood after the Burkie tribute. Dane was hysterical about himself and his teammates, and also moving, especially when he got to his family. Brandon Smith was very good as well, but more serious. What a story going from zero minutes his first two years to scoring some important goals and playing in the Frozen Four. Gary Steffes was excellent talking about going from scoring a goal in the national championship game to his role this year. He managed to make that positive when many others would not have. Props to him. Jarod Palmer was interesting in that he talked about how Miami had changed him in so many positive ways, especially in terms of being accountable to and trusting others and being unselfish. All four seniors stayed for four years, excelled in the classroom and in the community, and will graduate on time.

Rico does not usually say much at these things, but he did last night, about these seniors and, of course, about Berge. Rico was the best I have ever seen him.

You can't replace a Chris Bergeron (and a Jeff Blashill), not to mention seniors like the last few years, so I am sure Miami hockey will have its ups and downs in the future, all programs do, but if the program can capture and maintain what I saw last night, I think we will have something of which we can always be proud, I know I am. Love and honor were definitely on display last night. Thanks to all who made it possible.
                                Amen.

Can't replace anyone who has come and gone from the program over the last 5 years. But I think what you were getting at is that the man at the top is one of a kind. With him at the helm this program will be fine and continue in their current direction. New players and assistants will come in and buy into the foundation and follow the direction of their leader and I have no doubt that he will continue to keep doing the right things. As long as he is here the program is in great hands!

Best of luck to the 4 seniors in their next stage of life and best of luck to Coach Berg and Coach Blash. Have had the priveledge to know both and both are tremendous people along as hockey coaches.

Comment

Working...
                                X