Worst Coaches of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Coaches of All Time

Figured this would be more fun than the "Best Coaches of All Time" thread.

Re: Worst Coaches of All Time

Is this just "worst" coaches of all time or would this also incorporate most "overrated" coaches as well?
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
      Is this just "worst" coaches of all time or would this also incorporate most "overrated" coaches as well?
      Whatever you'd like, just state why...

Comment

Okay, in the overrated, but not worst category, my favorite whipping boy, Len Ceglarski.

Between the Scott Harlow-Bob Sweeney-Craig Janney-Kevin Stevens-Brian Leetch-Doug Brown etc. teams in the 80s to the Dave Emma-Steve Heinze-Marty McInnis-Bill Guerin-Ted Crowley teams in the early 90s, few coaches have had as much talent and accomplished less on the national stage than Ceglarski.

One just needs to compare him and Jerry York. Both had and have had tremendous talent, York has won three national titles with his and come close numerous other times. Ceglarski...not so much.

I didn't used to feel as strongly this way, but I suppose the York era has made me realize in retrospect just how disappointing the Ceglarski era was.
        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
        BU - 2

Comment

Tim Watters

I don't know the man personally, everyone says he was a nice guy who just couldn't recruit or coach, but his record speaks for itself. In four seasons, he took a struggling, but still proud and respectable program, and sank it into a 200-foot well that we're still fumbling around trying to pull ourselves out of.

Comment

Wow, I don't think Ceglarski was a bad coach by any means. Is Dick Umile a bad coach? No.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Wow, I don't think Ceglarski was a bad coach by any means. Is Dick Umile a bad coach? No.
              Which would be why I specified "overrated" as opposed to "bad". Bad, certainly not. He had plenty of regular season success, some, but not much, postseason success, and recruited much talent to Chestnut Hill. But then he accomplished far less in the end than what would be expected with that talent, hence making him overrated in my eyes (and in many other BC fans that I know). I guarantee with the same talent, York would have won a couple of championships.

Bad and overrated are two different concepts, which I why I specified.
              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
              BU - 2

Comment

Who's overrating him to begin with though?

Comment

Dean Blais
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Not trying to start a flaming war here, but since the question was asked.

My vote is for three coaches: Dick Umile and Enrico Blasi, two peas in the same pod. They have great teams, yet are not able to pull the teams together in a cohesive manner when 'the big game' counts. The third worst coach (IMHO) is Ted Donato and you can read the comments on the Harvard Hockey Future is so Bright thread. Again, Donato recruits top-notch talent, but is not able to coach them to win. For two years in a row, with Donato recruits nonetheless, he's been unable to pull out a double-digit win season.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Who's overrating him to begin with though?
                      I have heard him referred to as a great coach by many people on may occasions. Apparently based on his total wins, longevity, and the many famous names that played for him at BC.

Again, I'm not saying that the guy was a bum or a bad coach. He was good enough to get them to a certain level and not good enough to get them over the top. Like Umile. Good coach, but not a great coach. BC fans now what a great coach looks like.
                      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                      BU - 2

Comment

IMO, the jury will be out on Blasi for some time to come. He's got years of coaching ahead of him yet.

Comment

chris serino
                          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

I think I'd give Blasi a few more years before I put him on this list. He's still pretty young and his history is not all that long. He does need to step it up in the relatively near future though.
                            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                            BU - 2

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              chris serino
                              Nope, very good coach

Comment

Working...
                              X