Worst Coaches of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst Coaches of All Time

How could we forget Steve Cedorchuk and Mike Milbury...

Comment

The "worst" coach, whoever he is, is someone who took a good program and flushed it down the drain.

Or maybe someone who took over a fixer-upper and never made any improvements.

Dick Umile is neither of those guys. Not even close. It's silly to mention him on this thread.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
        The "worst" coach, whoever he is, is someone who took a good program and flushed it down the drain..
        Too close to home for this statement to be a coincidence
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
          Hey I am just saying if I had to chose between York and Umile, I'd take York. If I had to choose between Whitehead and Parker, I'd take Parker. If I had to chose Mazzoleni over Donato, I'd take Mazz. I'd take Belichik over Norv Turner anyday. There are winners, and then there are those who just have a job with the title "coach."
          This lay analysis was exactly what most of us needed. I was not quite sure about Umile when compared to york. I mean, Umile's comb over beats the hell out of Yorks salt and pepper ( mostly salt now, but whose keeping track?). Yes, by now the BC hockey club has earned much merit to the fans of any hockey east school - it certainly doesn't mean ******* fans like you aught to.
          "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Too close to home for this statement to be a coincidence
            I have no idea what you're talking about.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Hall of Fame
              Chris Serino Class of 1971

Induction Class of 2006
              Baseball
              Football
              Ice Hockey (M)

Chris Serino was a three sport athlete for AIC from 1968-71, lettering in baseball, football and men’s ice hockey. While he started in football as a quarterback and defensive back and in hockey as a wing, Serino earned his highest acclaim on the diamond. As a senior in 1971, he posted a batting average of .472, tops in the College Division that season and still the school record for single season batting average. That mark also made him the first batter in school history to reach the vaunted .400 mark. He earned Topps All-America honors and was named the recipient of the President's Cup in 1971, awarded to the outstanding senior athlete at AIC.

After graduation Serino was named the head hockey coach at Saugus (Mass.) High School, a post he held for 12 seasons. From there he went on to Northfield Mount Hermon School for six years, earning New England Prep Coach of the Year accolades. Serino then served a nine-year stint (1989-98) as associate head hockey coach and head baseball coach at the University of New Hampshire, helping guide the Wildcats to six NCAA tournament appearances, including a Frozen Four appearance in 1997 when the team won a school-record 26 games.

He then went on to become head hockey coach at Merrimack College from 1999-2005 and served as that school's athletic director for three years. He is now the Director of Athletics at Malden Catholic High School.

#6 Merrimack vs. #3 Boston University - Who would have predicted that the Merrimack College Warriors would find themselves sitting in 6th place at the end of the season? Certainly not this guy! Merrimack finds itself in the postseason for the first time since 2004, back in the Chris Serino era, with guys like goaltender Jim Healey and Marco Rosa tearing up the place at Lawler Arena

Lets not forget Ricci, a Serino recruit who was key to teams limited success for 2 years with new coach.
              Scmidtz etc

Mc just does not have support to win, sad but true at the bc/bu levels

Amazing how the biggest donor quit Merrimack and went to MC with serino and donated a million pus, as did red Sox parntner joe O'Donnell. They have raised more then merrimack

Now a program in the tank for a decade with a great history goes to super 8 final for 4 years in a row and athletics have turned around

dennehy has done a good job at Merrimack with his support
              Last edited by Hokydad; 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Hokydad, that's all well and good, but we're talking about worst college head coaches. He isn't the worst, but Serino did not do a very good job at Merrimack.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Hokydad, that's all well and good, but we're talking about worst college head coaches. He isn't the worst, but Serino did not do a very good job at Merrimack.
                  If we keep it at head coaches, he clearly did not finish like he wanted but outside alst year, had a respectable group. last year sucked leaving on such a low note. Was a very good ast and recruiter at UNH. I agree but he was clearly not in worst catagory
                  led nation in PK and had some solid seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    If we keep it at head coaches, he clearly did not finish like he wanted but outside alst year, had a respectable group. last year sucked leaving on such a low note. Was a very good ast and recruiter at UNH. I agree but he was clearly not in worst catagory
                    led nation in PK and had some solid seasons.
                    When the entire team goes to Santagati asking him to can Serino, that speaks volumes.
                    National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                    two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                    b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

How the hell has Don Lucia not been brought up yet by certain Gopher "faithful"?

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                        When the entire team goes to Santagati asking him to can Serino, that speaks volumes.
                        The two kids who went to Santagati were told by him to leave a note recinding your scholarships, he stays, you leave,
                        Serino left on his own and ended up in a great situation. makes more money at his current job than the current MC coach does with half the stress, shorter season and less travel.

To bad it ended like it did but he left on his own.

Amazing how him, Frazier and the others land in better jobs and are ten times happier after they get away from there.

Sad thing is that if Serino had of stayed, they would be playing in a new rink now. The donors/supporters who left with him, Donovan and gang would have funded it, just like the did the multi million dollar facilities at his new school.

Comment

Dahlie Llama aka Craig Dahl
                          Bob is making me concerned
                          I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            The two kids who went to Santagati were told by him to leave a note recinding your scholarships, he stays, you leave,
                            Serino left on his own and ended up in a great situation. makes more money at his current job than the current MC coach does with half the stress, shorter season and less travel.

To bad it ended like it did but he left on his own.

Amazing how him, Frazier and the others land in better jobs and are ten times happier after they get away from there.

Sad thing is that if Serino had of stayed, they would be playing in a new rink now. The donors/supporters who left with him, Donovan and gang would have funded it, just like the did the multi million dollar facilities at his new school.
                            Chris Serino or Ron Anderson? Weren't both fired?

Comment

Rube Bjorkman, no question. 'Retired' from UND in 1978, the year I graduated, then Gino Gasparini came in and: 1979 Won the WCHA championship; lost in the NCAA finals; 1980 Won the NCAA tourney. Rube's teams never finished above 7th when I was in school.
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
                                Chris Serino or Ron Anderson? Weren't both fired?
                                Read the article above. Anderson was shown door, and it was unfair in my opinion....

Serino left 100% on own, fully supported by pres

Left at 3 pm, started new job with higher pay at 4 pm
                                Also took with him biggest donors and key board membrs who dumped millions into new school

Merrimack would have new rink if he had stayed
                                left for the chance to coach his two kids and slow down. Had cancer and was winding down

Comment

Working...
                                X