Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst Coaches of All Time

Barry Melrose......

lasted 16 games with the Lighting and kept one of the best young players almost scoreless and on the bench.

On the college front,

I will throw out a nomination for Blaise McD. WIth 250 seniors and coming off a run to the HE championship game UML was ousted in the QF's and missed the NCAA Tourney again. Whether it's an all freshman team or a team made of almost all seniors with one of the best goaltending tandems in the country, Blaise consistently underachieves. Blaise, this Buds for you......
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      Barry Melrose......

lasted 16 games with the Lighting and kept one of the best young players almost scoreless and on the bench.

On the college front,

I will throw out a nomination for Blaise McD. WIth 250 seniors and coming off a run to the HE championship game UML was ousted in the QF's and missed the NCAA Tourney again. Whether it's an all freshman team or a team made of almost all seniors with one of the best goaltending tandems in the country, Blaise consistently underachieves. Blaise, this Buds for you......
      Cue UML fans bashing Sneddon in 3... 2... 1...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Jim Culhane

[Thread over]
        Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Cue UML fans bashing Sneddon in 3... 2... 1...
          Jon Jon Jon....you have to start at 103...102...101...

You know they are slow....

Comment

Herb Brooks
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

You know they are slow....
              that would be why they keep flaming you.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I don't think you can put Enrico on this list. 5 straight NCAA appearances, coached Miami to 6 of their 8 all time appearances. Only 3 losing seasons in his 11 year campaign, finished 10+ games over .500 for the past 5 years. 8 20+ win seasons. 2 straight frozen fours. He's taken this program for an "also-ran" in the CCHA to one of the top 3 teams each season. Miami's record in the tourney before Rico was 0-2. Rico is 7-6, also 5-2 in the past two seasons. Best win percentage in college hockey for the past 5 seasons. It's taken him some time to build this program up, so I think its too soon to say he "can't win the big game" yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                  Okay, in the overrated, but not worst category, my favorite whipping boy, Len Ceglarski.

Between the Scott Harlow-Bob Sweeney-Craig Janney-Kevin Stevens-Brian Leetch-Doug Brown etc. teams in the 80s to the Dave Emma-Steve Heinze-Marty McInnis-Bill Guerin-Ted Crowley teams in the early 90s, few coaches have had as much talent and accomplished less on the national stage than Ceglarski.

One just needs to compare him and Jerry York. Both had and have had tremendous talent, York has won three national titles with his and come close numerous other times. Ceglarski...not so much.

I didn't used to feel as strongly this way, but I suppose the York era has made me realize in retrospect just how disappointing the Ceglarski era was.
                  How can you go back to pre-York and NOT say Steve Cederchuk was the absolute worst coach in history? Lenny? Yeah, he never won the big one but he got close. Maybe he's a distant cousin of Dick Umile...

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Nope, very good coach
                    Yeah, Serino gets his high school team to the playoffs every year...

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                      Yup, because his players hate him, and UNH finishes at the bottom of Hockey East each and every year.
                      [UNH Moron Mentality]Sure, he can't beat Dover High in the postseason, but he doesn't tell his players to spear people or recruit murders[/UNH Moron Mentality]

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                        Yup, because his players hate him, and UNH finishes at the bottom of Hockey East each and every year.

UNH is accustomed to disappointment. While I am sure Umile's players and the Alum love him, he has not been able to "win the big one" or complete the job. I will gladly take three national championships over two Hockey East Crowns.

Hey I am just saying if I had to chose between York and Umile, I'd take York. If I had to choose between Whitehead and Parker, I'd take Parker. If I had to chose Mazzoleni over Donato, I'd take Mazz. I'd take Belichik over Norv Turner anyday. There are winners, and then there are those who just have a job with the title "coach."
                        Last edited by eaglehockeyrules; 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                          good enough to have his team ask him to leave the school...

or are you talking UNH assistant and Malden Catholic good?
                          Didnt say he had a great run.

Said he was not one of the worst

he left 100% on his own. School president told him could stay as long as he wanted
                          offered him the chance to come back a few euars aftwer

The school and its fan base is now off the chaerts happy witha losing record

MC is a a school on the way up, happy for them

serino had some issues current coach has

Serino had some success and he left on his own

you might be able to say going 1-28 at fairfield and having program dropped would be one of worst jobs ever

but, we have something called redemption and another new day

dennehy has proved his worth now

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            Didnt say he had a great run.

MC is a a school on the way up, happy for them

dennehy has proved his worth now
                            Huh?? MC has a good season, much better then their previous ones, but to say they are on their way up........well that's like saying because Mass elected Brown they are now republican.

Minus De Costa where are they?

Comment

1. Chris Serino had zero success at Merrimack
                              2. Fact is, Da Costa is there. You can't take that away from them. That's like saying where would BC have been without Nathan Gerbe. Time will tell if Merrimack is truly on the rise. If they're hovering around 6th place on a yearly basis, that's a success for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                                [UNH Moron Mentality]Sure, he can't beat Dover High in the postseason, but he doesn't tell his players to spear people or recruit murders[/UNH Moron Mentality]
                                Wow, one UNH poster says that, and now we all believe that? Especially sad is the fact that you quote my post to say this, when I defended York.

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
                                UNH is accustomed to disappointment. While I am sure Umile's players and the Alum love him, he has not been able to "win the big one" or complete the job. I will gladly take three national championships over two Hockey East Crowns.

Hey I am just saying if I had to chose between York and Umile, I'd take York. If I had to choose between Whitehead and Parker, I'd take Parker. If I had to chose Mazzoleni over Donato, I'd take Mazz. I'd take Belichik over Norv Turner anyday. There are winners, and then there are those who just have a job with the title "coach."
                                Speaking of morons...Umile has trouble (lots of it) in the post-season. Does that mean he's one of the WORST coaches in the history of college hockey? Hardly. UNH may never win a national title with him, but they sure weren't winning one before he got here. Certainly weren't winning 20 games on a consistent basis. Can't win in the postseason? At least he makes the postseason, and with less talent than some schools. You want to say he chokes? Fine. But to say he's one of the worst coaches of all time is ludicrous. And where did I ever say anything about York? Or taking Umile over him? I'm not saying Umile is one of the BEST coaches ever, just not the worst ever.
                                Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM.
                                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                                -Fred Shero

Comment

Working...
                                X