Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst Coaches of All Time

My sig says it all.

5 seasons is more than a little time to accomplish something.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
      chris serino
      Tim Army also. Two coaches that ran 2 programs into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
        Figured this would be more fun than the "Best Coaches of All Time" thread.
        All-time, or in a certain era?
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
          Not trying to start a flaming war here, but since the question was asked.

My vote is for three coaches: Dick Umile and Enrico Blasi, two peas in the same pod. They have great teams, yet are not able to pull the teams together in a cohesive manner when 'the big game' counts. The third worst coach (IMHO) is Ted Donato and you can read the comments on the Harvard Hockey Future is so Bright thread. Again, Donato recruits top-notch talent, but is not able to coach them to win. For two years in a row, with Donato recruits nonetheless, he's been unable to pull out a double-digit win season.
          Flame in your general direction

It is hard to throw Rico into that category with what he has done for Miami hockey over the last 10 years; two tournament appearances in twenty years before he got here and now back to back Frozen Fours. If the trend of loosing big games continues to dog him five years from now there might be something to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
            One just needs to compare him and Jerry York. Both had and have had tremendous talent, York has won three national titles with his and come close numerous other times. Ceglarski...not so much.
            Defense wins championships. Defense was an afterthought with Ceglarski. Defense is paramount with Jerry York.
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Nope, very good coach
              good enough to have his team ask him to leave the school...

or are you talking UNH assistant and Malden Catholic good?

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                Okay, in the overrated, but not worst category, my favorite whipping boy, Len Ceglarski.

Between the Scott Harlow-Bob Sweeney-Craig Janney-Kevin Stevens-Brian Leetch-Doug Brown etc. teams in the 80s to the Dave Emma-Steve Heinze-Marty McInnis-Bill Guerin-Ted Crowley teams in the early 90s, few coaches have had as much talent and accomplished less on the national stage than Ceglarski.

One just needs to compare him and Jerry York. Both had and have had tremendous talent, York has won three national titles with his and come close numerous other times. Ceglarski...not so much.

I didn't used to feel as strongly this way, but I suppose the York era has made me realize in retrospect just how disappointing the Ceglarski era was.
                i agree and had to live through it. what a waste of boatloads of talent.......check out his beanpot record, did he win twice in 20 years??

Comment

Jamie Russel for sure

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                    chris serino
                    Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Nope, very good coach
                    So Chris Serino was a very good college hockey coach?

The madness never ends with you.

Comment

Scott Borek...ran Lake State down fast

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        Scott Borek...ran Lake State down fast
                        Frank Anzalone continued that as well. Yes, I know he won the Title in 88, but his second stop at Lake State was horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          So Chris Serino was a very good college hockey coach?

The madness never ends with you.
                          I'm actually shocked he hasn't come in to defend Tim Army yet. He does it all the time in the PC thread.

Comment

Doc DelCastillo

His one year at UAF was about as bad as you can get, he won nine games, the players hated him, the administration disliked him and he quickly got the boot after being accused of inappropriate conduct. Makes it all the more impressive what Dallas Ferguson has been able to do quickly with what looked like a broken program.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              Defense wins championships. Defense was an afterthought with Ceglarski. Defense is paramount with Jerry York.
                              In fairness to Ceglarski, he coached in an era where defensive systems were pretty unsophisticated compared to now, and specialized goaltending coaching, video prep and game prep was crude compared to today. In most of Ceglarski's era, the average college game score about was about 6-5. York's teams at BG in that era gave up similar numbers.

Ceglarski should have won more hardware with his talent, certainly. But he was also a product of his era.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post
                                My vote is for...Dick Umile
                                Yup, because his players hate him, and UNH finishes at the bottom of Hockey East each and every year.
                                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                                -Fred Shero

Comment

Working...
                                X