X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Maine offseason: a lazy summer on the Stillwater

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    ...A good Interim A.D. for UMaine would be Stu Haskell...wonder if he would be willing to help out for a while..?
    Okay I stay out of most of these type of discussions but having been at Maine when Stu was A.D. I must say I disagree! He was in charge when Maine had a number of violations and these days you need some one young who is adept at handling the internet age.

I don't know a single person currently on staff that would be up to the challenge and am not an advocate of coaches having a dual role as they have done at some schools. In fact I hope they can find another Pat Nero type who understands the dual role of being a fund raiser and administrator.

One thing I am confidant about is this year will see the return of Maine Hockey to the upper echelon of college hockey and can't wait to watch the offensive show!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
      Okay I stay out of most of these type of discussions but having been at Maine when Stu was A.D. I must say I disagree! He was in charge when Maine had a number of violations and these days you need some one young who is adept at handling the internet age.

I don't know a single person currently on staff that would be up to the challenge and am not an advocate of coaches having a dual role as they have done at some schools. In fact I hope they can find another Pat Nero type who understands the dual role of being a fund raiser and administrator.

One thing I am confidant about is this year will see the return of Maine Hockey to the upper echelon of college hockey and can't wait to watch the offensive show!
      Yes, I believe Stu was in charge when Maine had some NCAA violations, but I don't think you can blame that on Stu (not that Bob is "blaming" him). In those days, you had a culture at UMaine which said that Maine is purer than the driven snow, because we're the University of Maine, which woundn't even allow beer commercials. But Maine did not have the understanding of what NCAA regulations required and it did not have an athletic department infrastructure in place to ensure that violations did not occur. That wasn't Stu Haskell's fault. Eventually, the President's office and the AD recognized what was needed to implement "institutional control" for Maine athletics, and although the boosters weren't particularly happy about it, the appropriate reforms were implemented and we went on from there. Would Stu be a good interim AD today? Who knows? He's 15 years older, which doesn't help, and I don't have any idea whether he's kept abreast of the issues related to athletic administration in today's world. But I wouldn't dismiss him, just because some violations occurred way back when.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
        Yes, I believe Stu was in charge when Maine had some NCAA violations, but I don't think you can blame that on Stu (not that Bob is "blaming" him). In those days, you had a culture at UMaine which said that Maine is purer than the driven snow, because we're the University of Maine, which woundn't even allow beer commercials. But Maine did not have the understanding of what NCAA regulations required and it did not have an athletic department infrastructure in place to ensure that violations did not occur. That wasn't Stu Haskell's fault. Eventually, the President's office and the AD recognized what was needed to implement "institutional control" for Maine athletics, and although the boosters weren't particularly happy about it, the appropriate reforms were implemented and we went on from there. Would Stu be a good interim AD today? Who knows? He's 15 years older, which doesn't help, and I don't have any idea whether he's kept abreast of the issues related to athletic administration in today's world. But I wouldn't dismiss him, just because some violations occurred way back when.
        Dave, you articulated that much better than I. Only exception I take is on Maine not having the understanding of what NCAA regulations were required. Quite frankly that is the role of the AD whether the infrastructure was there or not. And Stu was not at the center of the crisis a few years later when we suffered countless violations, and I am sure he is a great guy, but these days the role has changed IMHO and it is more about being abreast of what marketing and fundraising as much as it is budgets and hiring.

Comment

Enough with the Stu Haskell and Walt Abbott suggestions........we need someone under 70 to be the next AD. Obviously, they will have to look outside the state for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            ...Its a Start...he did enough damage in just a short period of time...alot of people have to be HAPPY with this NEW's...the only thing I question is I bet he had to know he was leaving when he gave his Buddy..{Whitehead}..a 3 yr extension...and I know many will say it just came up..{New Job}..but I am not buying it...BUT I am sure GLAD he going AWAY 4-GOOD.
            You nailed that 100% about giving his inept friend a freebie extension before he left!!! Well maybe Maine will clean house get a real AD who wants to get the Athletics back up to being competitive and maybe even into national contention, especially in the hockey department!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
              You nailed that 100% about giving his inept friend a freebie extension before he left!!! Well maybe Maine will clean house get a real AD who wants to get the Athletics back up to being competitive and maybe even into national contention, especially in the hockey department!!!
              And to maybe pay a little more attention to the football program,which is still on the 1-AA map.Maine has 5 guys in the NFL;I'd hate to see them fall back to how lousy it was when I went there.

Comment

Other than posting on this forum, if you fellow internet nutcases would like to hear your voice heard, fill out this survey!

It came to my FirstClass email account that I still have lingering from my UMaine days.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NNTQ5V6
                You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                  Enough with the Stu Haskell and Walt Abbott suggestions........we need someone under 70 to be the next AD. Obviously, they will have to look outside the state for that to happen.
                  Here's Ernie Clark's "take". Makes some good points.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/story...aine-AD,151181

Comment

Now that we have a confirmed roster for this comming season, what are you guys thinking of for line combos.

Here is some chit I pulled out of my *****:

Forwards

1. Flynn/House/Nyquist
                    2. Abbott/Dee/Diamond
                    3. Shemansky/Andersson/Corkum
                    4. Beattie/Leidermark/Mangene

Amestoy, Anthoine, Swavely, fight for time?

Defense

1. Dimmen/O’Neil
                    2. Van/Ban
                    3. Haggerty/ Cornell or O’Connor on this line?

Pryor and Nemec fight for time?

Goalies

1. Ouellette
                    2. Sirman
                    3. Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                      Now that we have a confirmed roster for this comming season, what are you guys thinking of for line combos.

Here is some chit I pulled out of my *****:

Forwards

1. Flynn/House/Nyquist
                      2. Abbott/Dee/Diamond
                      3. Shemansky/Andersson/Corkum
                      4. Beattie/Leidermark/Mangene

Amestoy, Anthoine, Swavely, fight for time?

Defense

1. Dimmen/O’Neil
                      2. Van/Ban
                      3. Haggerty/ Cornell or O’Connor on this line?

Pryor and Nemec fight for time?

Goalies

1. Ouellette
                      2. Sirman
                      3. Sullivan
                      I would think that you would want to keep size and speed in the lineup by keeping Pryor and Nemec in. I woild move Pryor to forward as he has more offensive skills than defensive. Nemec has size and did well killing penalties. I would rate the players with their +/- ratings to influence who's in. We for sure will have a good offense this season but we have to tighten up on certain positions at D, and goaltending is a question mark

Comment

What the heck...I got a few minutes to spare

Flynn-House-Nyquist
                        Diamond-Dee-Abbott
                        Shemansky-Mangene-Anthione
                        Corkum-Leidermark-Andersson
                        Beattie-Amestoy-Swavely

Dimmen-Hegarty
                        O'Neill-Nemec
                        Banwell-Van Dyk
                        Cornell-O'Connor
                        Pryor

Ouellette
                        Sullivan
                        Sirman
                        Seeley
                        New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Here's Ernie Clark's "take". Makes some good points.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/story...aine-AD,151181
                          Great plan five years ago when Bobby Wilder was ready to take over the football program. Unfortunately Old Dominion already raided him and half his staff is former Maine guys.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Pudge View Post
                            What the heck...I got a few minutes to spare

Flynn-House-Nyquist
                            Diamond-Dee-Abbott
                            Shemansky-Mangene-Anthione
                            Corkum-Leidermark-Andersson
                            Beattie-Amestoy-Swavely

Dimmen-Hegarty
                            O'Neill-Nemec
                            Banwell-Van Dyk
                            Cornell-O'Connor
                            Pryor

Ouellette
                            Sullivan
                            Sirman
                            Seeley
                            Would like to think Corkum can step right in and would put him with Shemansky and Mangene, but that is likely asking too much. Instead I will go with:

Flynn-House-Nyquist
                            Diamond-Dee-Abbott
                            Shemansky-Mangene-Beattie
                            Amestoy-Leidermark-Anderssen
                            Anthoine-Corkum-Swavely

Dimmen-Hegarty
                            O'Neill-Van Dyk
                            Banwell-Nemec
                            Cornell-O'Connor
                            Pryor

Ouellette
                            Sullivan
                            Sirman
                            Seeley

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of predicting specific lineups because there are way too many factors. We don't know who did what during the offseason. No one can predict who will develop chemistry with whom, especially factoring in the new guys. So I like to make general observations and predictions.

Most Pleasant Surprise.....A gamble, but Carlos Amestoy. I don't have all the dirt on him, but the dirt we have says he is a speedster with a relentless work ethic. I have my doubts he'll be on the opening day roster, but he sounds like he has a stubborn character...the type who will earn his way into the lineup on a more regular basis by the 2nd half. Expect a Mangene type with a little more scoring touch.
                              --Honorable Mention: Spencer Abbott

Biggest bust....Adam Shemansky. Kid has heart, keeps his stick on the ice, great sense, and a real knack for the right place at the right time. In fact, I like this guy a lot so it pains me to put him in the bust column. He'll continue to work hard, but I just think his explosive 1st half last year has raised our expectations too high in terms of what he'll produce on the scoreboard as a sophomore. He won't be ineffective, but don't look for double digit goals. He really dropped off the radar in the last two months of the season.

Coming out party....Joey D. I think he picks up right where he left off. If he scores at the pace he was on during the last month or so, expect a lot of Gordie Howe hat tricks out of him

Rookie of the Year....Such a cop-out pick but Marty Ouellette. Anthoine or Corkum will be the premeire forward of the bunch, but there are no Gustav, Teddy or Michel 1st year campaigns in any of these guys. Unless Sirman had a hell of an off-season, and unless Sullivan exceeds expectations....Marty is going to get a lot of reps...and most average or better outings will earn him a lot of Ws with that offense in front of him.
                              Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
                                I'm not a huge fan of predicting specific lineups because there are way too many factors. We don't know who did what during the offseason. No one can predict who will develop chemistry with whom, especially factoring in the new guys. So I like to make general observations and predictions.

Most Pleasant Surprise.....A gamble, but Carlos Amestoy. I don't have all the dirt on him, but the dirt we have says he is a speedster with a relentless work ethic. I have my doubts he'll be on the opening day roster, but he sounds like he has a stubborn character...the type who will earn his way into the lineup on a more regular basis by the 2nd half. Expect a Mangene type with a little more scoring touch.
                                --Honorable Mention: Spencer Abbott

Biggest bust....Adam Shemansky. Kid has heart, keeps his stick on the ice, great sense, and a real knack for the right place at the right time. In fact, I like this guy a lot so it pains me to put him in the bust column. He'll continue to work hard, but I just think his explosive 1st half last year has raised our expectations too high in terms of what he'll produce on the scoreboard as a sophomore. He won't be ineffective, but don't look for double digit goals. He really dropped off the radar in the last two months of the season.

Coming out party....Joey D. I think he picks up right where he left off. If he scores at the pace he was on during the last month or so, expect a lot of Gordie Howe hat tricks out of him

Rookie of the Year....Such a cop-out pick but Marty Ouellette. Anthoine or Corkum will be the premeire forward of the bunch, but there are no Gustav, Teddy or Michel 1st year campaigns in any of these guys. Unless Sirman had a hell of an off-season, and unless Sullivan exceeds expectations....Marty is going to get a lot of reps...and most average or better outings will earn him a lot of Ws with that offense in front of him.
                                ...MPS= Cornell -- BB= Hegarty -- COP= Diamond -- ROY= Ouellette

Comment

Working...
                                X