Best coaches of all time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best coaches of all time.

Where is Jerry York on the list? Certainly the best coach currently coaching. 3 titles(more than likely anyway )9 years, in the frozen four more times than not since 1998. Consistently brings in great players, rarely a peep about infractions or poor students. Play hard, play fast and win. Unreal. Congrats to BC and their fans(even if they have their share of dopes )
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Re: Best coaches of all time.

His team sure is putting on a show.....very impressive. Not only fast, but very hard working. Traits of the Maine teams of old. I do want to see Wisco get shutout.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

If you measure by NCAA titles, he's getting there,

Vic Heyliger of Michigan had six NCAA titles between 1944 and 1957, Murray Armstrong of Denver had 5 titles between 1956 and 1969. York now has four overall (3 at BC and 1 at BG) which puts him in third place all time, ahead of coaches such as Herb Brooks, Gino Gasparini, Jack Parker, Bob Johnson and John MacInnes (who all had 3 crowns).
      Last edited by Puck Swami; 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Parker and York are clearly the two best active coaches. These two guys know how to mold disciplined teams. Discipline is what gets the hardware that really matters in the second week of April.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

I can certainly put York way up on the list. Wins with more than one team, 4 titles overall, doing it in an era where it is harder to win, brought the first NCAA win to a less traditional team (BGSU in '84), great regular seasons, in the NCAAs seemingly every year. He can certainly make a claim to being one of the best, and you'll get no argument from me if you want to crown him #1.

Comment

In my opinion Jerry York is the greatest coach in college hockey history. I love Ron Mason for what he did at MSU but York's teams compete for titles year in and year out. His teams rarely do not meet their expectations, and that is the measure of good coaching I think.
            MICHIGAN STATE
            1966:1986:2007

Comment

Ned Harkness has to be in the discussion: 4 national titles at 2 different schools, 3 in hockey and 1 in lacrosse (RPI, 1952)! As a Cornellian, I have to think that his Cornell lacrosse teams (35-1 in his three seasons as coach) would have won a title or two if there had been a tournament (instead of a poll rife with southern snobbery).

Every school he touched (RPI, Cornell, Union) became a contender virtually overnight.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

In my opinion there are two answers to this question...college hockey has changed so much over the last 40 years. I have a hard time comparing programs and coaches and success today compared to back then. I don't think it is completely appropriate to compare 2000's college hockey with 1960's or earlier.
                MICHIGAN STATE
                1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  Parker and York are clearly the two best active coaches. These two guys know how to mold disciplined teams. Discipline is what gets the hardware that really matters in the second week of April.
                  One of those coaches is loved by his players and the other hated.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                    In my opinion there are two answers to this question...college hockey has changed so much over the last 40 years. I have a hard time comparing programs and coaches and success today compared to back then. I don't think it is completely appropriate to compare 2000's college hockey with 1960's or earlier.
                    Don't keep us in suspense, what are the answers. (just in case there's a test)
                    If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

York is the best coach of all-time, not even close. To score 7 on the best defense in the country and come back and shut out the nations best offense is coaching brilliance. No one is better than this guy.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

The game may have changed, but championships are just hard to win in any era of the 50-60 years. There were less teams back then, but the talent levels then were pretty concentrated on top schools then, as there was less dilution. If you won it back then, you had to beat good teams to win, then as now.

Comment

In my opinion Jerry York is the greatest coach in college hockey history.
                          I would think Herb Brooks would at the very least be in the conversation.

Jerry York-- 4 titles in 37 years
                          Herb Brooks -- 3 titles in 7 years. 8 if you count the 1 season with SCSU.

Both are great coaches. But it's really hard to say on is better than the other.
                          Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
                          NFL Min
                          MLB NYM, Min
                          NHL Min, Dal
                          NCAAB Min, Baylor
                          NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
                          Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by GOPHER FREAK View Post
                            I would think Herb Brooks would at the very least be in the conversation.

Jerry York-- 4 titles in 37 years
                            Herb Brooks -- 3 titles in 7 years. 8 if you count the 1 season with SCSU.

Both are great coaches. But it's really hard to say on is better than the other.
                            Herb has to be right there.. The whole 1980 thing(I know not in college).. Coaching played kinda of a big role.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              York is the best coach of all-time, not even close. To score 7 on the best defense in the country and come back and shut out the nations best offense is coaching brilliance. No one is better than this guy.
                              How can you say it's not even close all time? York has won less NCAA titles than two other coaches! Other coaches (Heyliger and Armstrong) have built dynasties that dominated decades. and while York may be the best coach currently, and the probably best in the last 20 years, other coaches have achieved more in the last 60 years. I think York is an amazing coach, and he's entering some elite company, but he's not the best coach of all time yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X