Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best coaches of all time.

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    The Gophers under Don Lucia posted an 8 game NCAA post season winning streak from 2001-2004. No coach with 20+ years of D1 coaching experience and 2 or more NCAA titles has ever accomplished that.
    Yeah, all those coaches from the 60s and 70s sucked - nary an 8 game NCAA win streak to be found.

What a silly metric - it's really only been possible since ~2002, and 3 guys have done it in 8 years.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Right, I corrected that. Thanks.
      No worries, but this was actually his 21st year including his time at Miami

5 Season at Miami from '89-'94
      16 Seasons at DU from '94-'10
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        No worries, but this was actually his 21st year including his time at Miami

5 Season at Miami from '89-'94
        16 Seasons at DU from '94-'10
        So I better add Gwoz into the stack:

Active coaches with 20 or more years of D1 coaching experience and 2 or more NCAA titles:

Rank Coach W L T Pct.
        11 BERENSON, RED 673 310 68 .673
        17 PARKER, JACK 815 413 101 .651
        26 LUCIA, DON 521 291 82 .629
        33 YORK, JERRY 821 529 89 .601
        44 GWOZDECKY, GEORGE 429 311 65 .573
        47 COMLEY, RICK 749 583 100 .558

Comment

Quick note of housecleaning:

Harley, those totals are as of the beginning of last season. Berenson is at 699 wins now.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Quick note of housecleaning:

Harley, those totals are as of the beginning of last season. Berenson is at 699 wins now.
            Yeah I mentioned earlier they weren't updated but close for the sake of comparison. Do you have the updated numbers?

Comment

It might help if I read back more than a couple posts. That's completely on me.

I knew something wasn't right just by looking at Berenson's total. It seemed like he was going on 700 against Miami.

No, I don't have the numbers at hand. Yours seem to do the job for the moment.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Active coaches with 20 or more years of D1 coaching experience and 2 or more NCAA titles (updated):

Rank Coach W L T Pct.
                11 BERENSON, RED 699 328 69 .669
                17 PARKER, JACK 834 429 104 .648
                26 LUCIA, DON 539 310 84 .623
                33 YORK, JERRY 850 539 92 .604
                44 GWOZDECKY, GEORGE 456 321 69 .579
                47 COMLEY, RICK 768 596 106 .558

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Yeah, all those coaches from the 60s and 70s sucked - nary an 8 game NCAA win streak to be found.

What a silly metric - it's really only been possible since ~2002, and 3 guys have done it in 8 years.
                I'm looking at NCAA post season winning streaks among active coaches with the following criterion: 1) 20+ years D1 coaching, 2) 2 or more NCAA titles, and 3) consecutive NCAA appearances. Under those criterion, only Lucia and Gwoz have accomplished that. Not an earth shattering stat, but interesting.
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  Agree with the notion that you can't compare the 60s to today. It's getting increasingly harder to compare the 90s to today it seems.
                  It was plenty hard to win an NCAA title in the '60s too, when talent was more concentrated on top teams, there were less assistants/preparation tools and you didn't have as much interconference play.

Great coaches exist in all eras. Knute Rockne, John Wooden, and Bear Bryrant would be winners today just as they did yesterday. I think coaches like Heyliger, Armstrong, Mariucci, and MacInnes would be winners today in college hockey.

Comment

Shawn Walsh

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Ned Harkness has to be in the discussion: 4 national titles at 2 different schools, 3 in hockey and 1 in lacrosse (RPI, 1952)! As a Cornellian, I have to think that his Cornell lacrosse teams (35-1 in his three seasons as coach) would have won a title or two if there had been a tournament (instead of a poll rife with southern snobbery).

Every school he touched (RPI, Cornell, Union) became a contender virtually overnight.
                      The RPI lacrosse national title was a poll, not a tourney. It was shared with UVA.

FWIW, Harkness also brought RPI's lacrosse team to England where they represented the US in the Olympics and finished 8-0-1 including pre-Olympic games in England. Lacrosse was a demo sport.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How many wins Gino Gasparini? He had some pretty good squads at North Dakota.
                        Thank goodness for advanced technology.

Comment

Originally posted by yuber View Post
                          How many wins Gino Gasparini? He had some pretty good squads at North Dakota.
                          Speaking of Gino, He had a stretch of 8 consecutive NCAA wins in the early 80's as well. In fact, he had a stretch from '80-'87 where he was 14-1 in the NCAA Tournament. Not too shabby
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Let me clarify one additional criteria: Don Lucia did it over three consecutive seasons without missing the NCAAs. As you pointed out, BC missed the NCAAs is 2009.

The criteria was 20+ yrs. of coaching D1 and 2 or more titles. If you include his time at Miami his tenure in D1 is 21 years, so you're right he does equal Lucia's streak from 2003-05.
                            That isn't true at all.

Lucia was 8-1 in those 3 tournaments. Lucia was 7-0 in 2002 and 2003. He was 8-1 in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
                            BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                            National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                            Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

I'm looking at NCAA post season winning streaks among active coaches with the following criterion: 1) 20+ years D1 coaching, 2) 2 or more NCAA titles, and 3) consecutive NCAA appearances. Under those criterion, only Lucia and Gwoz have accomplished that. Not an earth shattering stat, but interesting.
                              What you're looking at, then, is consecutive NC's. Conveniently constructed to include your guy, and exclude virtually everybody else.
                              Last edited by UncleRay; 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM.
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                Great coaches exist in all eras. Knute Rockne, John Wooden, and Bear Bryrant would be winners today just as they did yesterday. I think coaches like Heyliger, Armstrong, Mariucci, and MacInnes would be winners today in college hockey.
                                I've always believed this as well. Great coaches (or leaders in any endeavor) know how to get the most out of whatever circumstances they find themselves in. If John Wooden could figure it out in the 1960s, or Knute Rockne in the 1920s, they would also have the requisite skills to analyze all that's before them and succeed today. Vision is vision. Hell, for the last 15 years I'd have dug Rockne out of his grave and taken my chances with him compared to what else I have seen around here...

Comment

Working...
                                X