Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best coaches of all time.

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I dispute the notion that Jerry York is the best "All-Time"....as he's coached college hockey about 22 years longer than Bob Johnson did (3 titles), and 28 years longer than Herb Brooks did (3 titles), et cetera.
    They chose to leave the game of college hockey, no? Sorry, but longevity is a factor here.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      York is the best coach of all-time, not even close. To score 7 on the best defense in the country and come back and shut out the nations best offense is coaching brilliance. No one is better than this guy.
      Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      How can you say it's not even close all time? York has won less NCAA titles than two other coaches! Other coaches (Heyliger and Armstrong) have built dynasties that dominated decades. and while York may be the best coach currently, and the probably best in the last 20 years, other coaches have achieved more in the last 60 years. I think York is an amazing coach, and he's entering some elite company, but he's not the best coach of all time yet.
      How many other coaches scored seven goals in a semifinal game, though, much less play goalie in the final?

Comment

Threads like this are what make our hockey community look like 12 year olds. No disrespect to walrus for dishing out some mad props, but than come the armchair athletes who feel the insatiable need to compare E-peen sizes by counting titles - its a pathetic showing by this hockey community.

York is doing a great job. BC fans at the school have had the luxury of watching a top quality product on the ice. Who cares about the 3 titles by herb brooks back in the 80s? Irrelevant. Right now, BC is the most consistent program with a streak many of us would love to see our schools have.

UNH beating someone 5-0 in a NT game? yes please.
        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          good god, what a stupid....
          How many people have you played hockey with from BU? How many are close friends of yours? I'm curious because I know a lot... You have no clue what you are talking about.. They hate him. But you can think whatever you want.

Comment

For whatever reason I haven't seen his name. 20 straight tournament appearances with roughly 10 final fours and two national titles. That's pretty good in my book.

Comment

I'm around the program enough to see a large number of players interact with him. And by interact I don't mean walk up and yell "I hate you you stupid old man!" to him. Does everyone have every single person they have met on life love or hate them? No.

But to come here and type "all hate him" is in fact stupid. Sorry.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

IMO one of the best ways to judge the success of a coaching career is to look at winning pct. and NCAA titles. Among the top ten all time winningest coaches there are five active coaches (caps) with a combined 158 years of coaching. York has the longest tenure with 37 years and most wins (not updated):

Rank Coach W L T Pct.
                1 Mason, Ron 924 380 83 .696
                2 YORK, JERRY(37) 821 529 89 .601
                3 PARKER, JACK(36) 815 413 101 .651
                4 COMLEY, RICK(36) 749 583 100 .558
                5 BERENSON, RED(26) 673 310 68 .673
                6 Ceglarski, Len 672 339 37 .659
                7 Sauer, Jeff 655 532 57 .549
                8 MacInnes, John 555 295 39 .646
                9 LUCIA, DON(23) 521 291 82 .629
                10 Kelley, John 486 233 14 .673

But if you look at winning percentage among active coaches with 10 or more years of D1 coaching experience and at least 2 or more NCAA titles, it stacks up like this (ranking consists of active and retired coaches):

Rank Coach W L T Pct.
                3 JACKSON, JEFF 285 100 39 .718
                9 BLAIS, DEAN 262 115 33 .679
                11 BERENSON, RED 673 310 68 .673
                17 PARKER, JACK 815 413 101 .651
                26 LUCIA, DON 521 291 82 .629
                33 YORK, JERRY 821 529 89 .601
                44 GWOZDECKY, GEORGE 429 311 65 .573
                47 COMLEY, RICK 749 583 100 .558

Active coaches with 20 or more years of D1 coaching experience and 2 or more NCAA titles:

Rank Coach W L T Pct.
                11 BERENSON, RED 673 310 68 .673
                17 PARKER, JACK 815 413 101 .651
                26 LUCIA, DON 521 291 82 .629
                33 YORK, JERRY 821 529 89 .601
                44 GWOZDECKY, GEORGE 429 311 65 .573
                47 COMLEY, RICK 749 583 100 .558
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 04-11-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Agree with the notion that you can't compare the 60s to today. It's getting increasingly harder to compare the 90s to today it seems.

Think about York. His teams have won 8 straight NCAA regional games. His teams at BC have never lost in the first round. They always play hard and fast. In an era of RIT and Bemidji State upsets that kind of consistency is very impressive. Same can't be said for Parker, Lucia, etc.

Makes Berensen's NCAA streak very impressive, too.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Think about York. His teams have won 8 straight NCAA regional games. His teams at BC have never lost in the first round. They always play hard and fast. In an era of RIT and Bemidji State upsets that kind of consistency is very impressive. Same can't be said for Parker, Lucia, etc.
                    The Gophers under Don Lucia posted an 8 game NCAA post season winning streak from 2001-2004. No coach with 20+ years of D1 coaching experience and 2 or more NCAA titles has ever accomplished that.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                      The Gophers under Don Lucia posted an 8 game NCAA post season winning streak from 2001-2004. No coach with 20+ years of D1 coaching experience and 2 or more NCAA titles has ever accomplished that.
                      Didn't York just accomplish that? 4-0 in 2008. 0-0 in 2009. 4-0 in 2010. Looks like an 8-game winning streak to me.
                      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        Didn't York just accomplish that? 4-0 in 2008. 0-0 in 2009. 4-0 in 2010. Looks like an 8-game winning streak to me.
                        Also Gwoz did it for DU. After losing in 2002, he didn't lose again until 2008...going 8-0 in that time frame.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          Let me clarify one additional criteria: Don Lucia did it over three consecutive seasons without missing the NCAAs. As you pointed out, BC missed the NCAAs is 2009.

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Also Gwoz did it for DU. After losing in 2002, he didn't lose again until 2008...going 8-0 in that time frame.
                          The criteria was 20+ yrs. of coaching D1 and 2 or more titles. If you include his time at Miami his tenure in D1 is 21 years, so you're right he does equal Lucia's streak from 2003-05.
                          Last edited by HarleyMC; 04-11-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                            If this is serious, you're a moron.

If not, then, whatever.

Go Sertie.
                            You don't have a lot of laughter in your life do you? Sad.
                            Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                            2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                            2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                            Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              The criteria was 20+ yrs. of coaching D1 and 2 or more titles. Gwoz hasn't been coaching for 20+ years.
                              This was Gwoz's 21st year of coaching D1
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                                This was Gwoz's 21st year of coaching D1
                                Right, I corrected that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X