Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    I love this schedule. It shows guts as well as the commitment to improve the program and match up with the best.
    I like it, too, although it makes me a little nervous. Still, as one who watched Brown play BU, Maine, Northeastern, etc. in the old ECAC before Hockey East, I am excited about the potential quality of play. It's always better to play a bit above your level, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18
      Some scoring ability (Juola, Goldberg).
      "Some" scoring ability... Is that a lukewarm description, Euler? I'd love to see us get a real playmaker with a wicked, quick shot who can put Brown on the scoreboard more, and I don't mean for penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        I like the idea of a Senior Day against Harvard, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon. Because Harvard has the Beanpot, they play games on consecutive weeks on Mondays. Therefore, they can't play Friday, Saturday, Monday two weeks in a row - that's just illogical. So they have to split games in order to make it work. Brown is always one of the teams because of the distance factor. It's easy to make Brown play at Harvard on a Tuesday night because it's only an hour drive. This way Yale can play at Harvard on a corresponding Friday (giving Harvard the off day on Saturday) around the Beanpot (thereby not ruining the travel weekend for Yale with Harvard and Dartmouth), and Brown plays just one game that weekend at Dart.

I hope that makes sense, but it's all mostly because of the Beanpot that Brown always plays at Harvard on a Tuesday night. And while I think Brown gets the raw end of the deal, I respect the decision not to make Harvard play so many games involving the Beanpot. And the Beanpot, while all non conference games, will always take preference.

I get what you're saying, and it does make total sense, but both Harvard games are on weekends this year. If only Vermont hadn't left the league, and we were still travel partners...

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
          TENTATIVE BROWN REGULAR SEASON HOCKEY SCHEDULE FOR 2010-2011

October
          29 Friday at Yale (Ivy Showcase Tournament - New Haven, CT) 7:00pm
          30 Saturday vs. Dartmouth or Princeton (Ivy Showcase Tournament - New Haven, CT) 4:00pm

November
          5 Friday QUINNIPIAC 7:00pm
          6 Saturday PRINCETON 7:00pm
          19 Friday at Colgate 7:00pm
          20 Saturday at Cornell 7:00pm
          23 Tuesday at New Hampshire 7:00pm
          27 Saturday at Boston University7:00pm

December
          3 Friday UNION 7:00pm
          4 Saturday RENSSELAER 4:00pm
          7 Tuesday PROVIDENCE (Mayor’s Cup) 7:0pm

January
          1 Friday at Notre Dame (Shillelagh Tournament - Hoffman Estates, IL) TBA
          2 Saturday v. Boston University or Mankato State (Shillelagh Tournament - Hoffman Estates, IL) TBA
          7 Friday at Harvard 7:00pm
          8 Saturday at Dartmouth 7:00pm
          15 Saturday at Yale 4:00pm
          16 Sunday YALE 4:00pm
          21 Friday SAINT LAWRENCE 7:00pm
          22 Saturday CLARKSON 4:00pm
          28 Friday at Rensselaer 7:00pm
          29 Saturday at Union 7:00pm

February
          4 Friday DARTMOUTH 7:00pm
          5 Saturday HARVARD 7:00pm
          11 Friday at Clarkson 7:00pm
          12 Saturday at Saint Lawrence 7:00pm
          18 Friday at Princeton 7:00pm
          19 Saturday at Quinnipiac 7:00pm
          25 Friday CORNELL 7:00pm
          26 Saturday COLGATE 7:00pm
          Wow, at Cornell, at UNH, and at BU all in a row. Good test right there.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Zaires played with Juola in the BCHL on Westside. The schedule is looking nice.

Comment

Juola should be fun to watch.
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

*****http://i66.***********.com/albums/h248/Speak_Easy93/P1000889.jpg******

Even Snoop Dogg loves Brown hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by brown_penguin View Post
                  Excellent! Was that at yesterday's Spring Weekend concert? Wonder how/where he got the jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18
                    Borge, Goldberg and Juola were recruited because the coaching staff believes that they have the ability to contribute to the Brown offense. Nevertheless, there'll be a learning curve and these young men are not expected to set the league on fire as freshmen....(snip)
                    Great explanation; thanks. I was interested to learn that Zolnierczyk was named captain. Is this a good choice? (Just curious; I don't have a strong opinion.)

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                      Excellent! Was that at yesterday's Spring Weekend concert? Wonder how/where he got the jersey.
                      Yes, it was! I was really excited when I saw him come out in it. I'm not a huge fan of rap, and Snoop now might be my favorite rapper just for representing Brown hockey.

Anyone know why Coach Whittet went with just one C, instead of co or tri captains like this year? Was it just a preference thing? I could have easily seen Russell & Zolnierczyk being Co-Captains. Just wondering, I'm not offended by his choice or anything. However, I can also see why some people might be surprised by the choice. Not that I think a guy should be condemned for life by one really bad mistake, but I can understand why some might have qualms about it.

Comment

Yes, it was! I was really excited when I saw him come out in it. I'm not a huge fan of rap, and Snoop now might be my favorite rapper just for representing Brown hockey.
                        That's great. I was there earlier but didn't stay for Snoop. Not my musical genre.... I would have liked to see him in that shirt though!

I could have easily seen Russell & Zolnierczyk being Co-Captains. Just wondering, I'm not offended by his choice or anything.
                        I assumed (wrongly, it's clear now) that Jeremy would be captain. He came in with this year's graduating class and seems level-headed and like a leader in many ways. But I don't have a problem with the choice, either. I agree about Z's past being in the past. I hate it when opposing fans bring that up in their cheers/jeers. Boo him for something he did on the ice, not for a personal mistake before he ever got to college.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                          I assumed (wrongly, it's clear now) that Jeremy would be captain. He came in with this year's graduating class and seems level-headed and like a leader in many ways. But I don't have a problem with the choice, either. I agree about Z's past being in the past. I hate it when opposing fans bring that up in their cheers/jeers. Boo him for something he did on the ice, not for a personal mistake before he ever got to college.
                          In answer to this and other posts, Harry Z was supposedly a unanimous selection by the players. I think he'll thrive in this position. If opponents choose to bring up the "personal mistake" you allude to, so be it. He apologized, was punished, and paid his dues. Harry is an excellent choice to lead the Bears next season.

I also liked the choice of assistant captains (by the coaching staff). Jeremy Rusell, Jack Maclellan and Dave Brownschidle are solid kids. I'm particularly happy for Brownschidle, who is respected for his commitment to the team concept.
                          Last edited by Euler18; 04-26-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

With a really nice upstate Spring day, I drove to Cornell yesterday to watch Brown lax. A great win for the team.

I saw several intruiging comparisons with Brown hockey and lax. With coach Tiffany's success, things really look good for hockey. First, it was very clear that the lax players love playing for their coach, the same feeling that became obvious through the hockey season with Brendan. Second, Tiffany had a great game plan which Cornell could not cope with (obvious that Tiffany had spent substantial time in game prep), similar to what Brendan was displaying as the season progressed, especially as against RPI and Yale in the playoffs.Third, Tiffany was always in the game working with his players to take advantage of Cornell shortcomings he was perceiving as the game progress, something I saw a lot with Brendan on the bench. Fourth, Tiffany has taken players recruited by the previous coach and given them the opportunity to play their game, the same which happened with Harry Z and Jack McClellan.

Coach Tiffany took an 0-6 Brown lax team to an Ivy league championship in a few years. Brendan brought the team to an unexpected third place ECAC finish in one year. Championship in a few more seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              Championship in a few more seasons?
                              ::fingers crossed::

Comment

*****http://i66.***********.com/albums/h248/Speak_Easy93/P1000889.jpg******

*****http://www.joshgibney.com/snoophoops.jpg******
                                he also digs UNH hoops, so..... there's no accounting for taste
                                Fun shot.. was hoping he'd don a UNH hockey jersey (like everyone else who ever performs there), not sure why he went with hoops, guess SOMEONE's gotta get them some press
                                Last edited by Gibber; 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X