Bentley Falcons 2010-2011: Reclaim The Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentley Falcons 2010-2011: Reclaim The Pride

I figured we were starting to turn the corner to the new year with the listing of recruits. So why not have a new thread to start out next season? Bentley has been steadily on the rise over the past few seasons, and right before New Year's last year, were among the league's elite. Then the team experienced a free fall they never recovered from, ending with a heartbreaking playoff defeat at home to UConn.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Re: Bentley Falcons 2010-2011: Reclaim The Pride

Snively's post regarding recruits:

Bentley Recruits for 2010-2011 (from Chris Heisenbreg's site); if anyone can add/correct information here, please do so. I have decided not to attend the FF this year (UNH is not going), but will be rooting for RIT, of course.

name, position, commitment date, 2009-2010 team, stats

Andrew Fitzstephens, C, 3/19/10, Baystate Breakers (EJHL), 6'2, 185#, 1/22/90, 30g-13G-18A-31pts-24pm

Branden Komm, G, 3/16/10, Northfield Mt. Hermon, 6'1", 187#, 3/19/91

Brett Genster, RW, 2/18/10, Youngstown Phantoms (USHL), 5'10", 160#, 11/22/90, 50g-10G-10A-20pts

Joel Goodsell, LW, 2/7/10, Baystate Breakers (EJHL), 5'10", 185#, 3/24/90, 41g-13G-22A-35pts-59pm

Zach Marginsky, RD, 1/28/10, Syracuse Stars (EJHL), 6'6", 210#, 6/10/91, 43g-1G-10A-11pts-42pm

Justin Breton, RW, 10/28/09, Jr. Bruins (EJHL), 6'0", 190#, 7/22/89, 45g-24G-30A-54pts-22pm

Zach Ledford, D, 10/11/09, Wichita Falls Wildcats (NAHL), 6'1", 200#, 4/20/90, 44g-18G-25A-43pts-24pm (Brett Hartung's previous team)

Jared Rickford, RW, 8/22/09, Springfield Jr. Blues (NAHL), 5'9", 165#, 10/30/89, 28G-40A-68pts (Brandon Bahnemann's previous team)

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Dain Prewitt, Bentley's leading scorer during 2008-2009 season, released by South Carolina Stingrays on 25 March 2010, presumably to make room for new college call ups? Appears to me that Dain had a decent season with the Stingrays, playing 62 games, scoring 11 G, 9 A, 20 pts, with -7 plus/minus, 88 SOG, and 22 PIM.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3980153

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        I figured we were starting to turn the corner to the new year with the listing of recruits. So why not have a new thread to start out next season? Bentley has been steadily on the rise over the past few seasons, and right before New Year's last year, were among the league's elite. Then the team experienced a free fall they never recovered from, ending with a heartbreaking playoff defeat at home to UConn.
        I went to one of the Air Force games in Watertown after the start of the year (as I did last season). Last year, Bentley played the 'other' Falcons real well, and came within a whisker of winning. This year's game I went to was dreadful; Air Force shut us out.

I agree: the season started off with much promise and then seemed to collapse after the holiday break.

I do like the fact that some Hockey East schools are willing to schedule Bentley. It helps the sport in general when that happens, so I specifically applaud Maine & Northeastern for 'doing their part.' Do we know if any Hockey East teams are going to play Bentley next year?
        Chris V
        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Lets hope for a fun and better year next year. I think the boys can do and hopefully they think the same way.
          BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
          National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
          Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
            Lets hope for a fun and better year next year. I think the boys can do and hopefully they think the same way.
            I'm very interested to see what happens with the team heading into next year. Cloutier's injury will factor into the beginning of the year, in case he has to miss some time. I'm very intrigued to see how he comes back from a serious knee issue.

I'm also interested to see how the team continues to improve. Last year, it seemed like they were hamstrung by poor senior leadership at times. Two years ago - when the team was down, the seniors stood up and said "WE ARE NOT LOSING THIS GAME." I loved the grit and heart of the first line to throw the team on its back. Last year, it seemed that the team lost some of that edge, especially after Clouts went out. When the chips were down, it became about a missed opportunity, a soft goal, poor defense, or a dumb penalty.

While I'm certainly not going to dump on the seniors, including Menzione and Preece (who were the top members of the class), I think this year will feature more continuity as long as they stay healthy. In a couple of years, this team could be ready for a run. I'm thinking that Rank's senior year will be the year (which is two seasons away).

I'm also very intrigued to see how recruiting bolsters the defensive unit and improves what was, at times, a very very very poor defense.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
              I do like the fact that some Hockey East schools are willing to schedule Bentley. It helps the sport in general when that happens, so I specifically applaud Maine & Northeastern for 'doing their part.' Do we know if any Hockey East teams are going to play Bentley next year?
              I've been told that the Falcons will be making a trip up Route 3 to play the River Hawks next season.
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Last year, it seemed like they were hamstrung by poor senior leadership at times. Two years ago - when the team was down, the seniors stood up and said "WE ARE NOT LOSING THIS GAME." I loved the grit and heart of the first line to throw the team on its back. Last year, it seemed that the team lost some of that edge, especially after Clouts went out.
                I think what really hurt last year were the injuries to Petey and Clouts, so we did not get to see them play with Menzi as a first line more than a game here and there, unlike the year before when they were a formidable second line the entire season.

The only two games on the Falcons 2010-2011 schedule that I have been able to ferret out so far are Sat., Oct 16th at RPI and Sat., Oct. 30th at NU. I am pretty certain that we will be playing at Quinnipiac early in the season also, but looks like we will not be playing UMass, Maine, or Brown this season (all upset Falcon wins the past two years), as their 2010-2011 schedules are complete, I think. Hockey East teams, and many ECAC teams as well, have little to gain and much to lose by scheduling Bentley and other AHA teams that do not bring much PWR cred. I do not think that you will see Timmay or Toots inviting the Falcons to their barns again any time soon, but I am still hoping that Umile invites the Falcons to Lake Whitt in the near future.
                Last edited by Snively65; 06-15-2010, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  I think what really hurt last year were the injuries to Petey and Clouts, so we did not get to see them play with Menzi as a first line more than a game here and there, unlike the year before when they were a formidable second line the entire season.

The only two games on the Falcons 2010-2011 schedule that I have been able to ferret out so far are Sat., Oct 16th at RPI and Sat., Oct. 30th at NU. I am pretty certain that we will be playing at Quinnipiac early in the season also, but looks like we will not be playing UMass, Maine, or Brown this season (all upset Falcon wins the past two years), as their 2010-2011 schedules are complete, I think. Hockey East teams, and many ECAC teams as well, have little to gain and much to lose by scheduling Bentley and other AHA teams that do not bring much PWR cred. I do not think that you will see Timmay or Toots inviting the Falcons to their barns again any time soon, but I am still hoping that Umile invites the Falcons to Lake Whitt in the near future.
                  It's always going to be extremely tough for AHA teams to get real good, quality opponents from the neighboring conferences. Playing a team like Bentley puts a lot on the other team to perform because Atlantic Hockey is recognized as one of the lower-tier conferences (even with RIT's run to the Frozen Four).

It's nice to see a yearly rivalry staying intact with RPI. It looks like the Engineers are more than happy to welcome the Falcons every year. And RPI is a great place to play - I was there for Brown hockey with the ECAC Playoffs (Games 2 and 3), and their arena is a true auditorium. When it's filled, it's very loud, and it evokes the feelings of an old, Slapshot style auditorium. It's too bad that Troy, NY is honestly a dump - but it's not a bad road trip (only 3 hours roughly from Boston to Albany). The fans at RPI are very passionate and borderline obscene on their board; but at the same time they seem to at least know something about the game (even if it's just what offsides is).

The other teams - you really take a gamble when you play Bentley. Honestly, the teams have so much to lose when they schedule that it makes building the schedule so tough for Bentley. If you're a Hockey East team, come tournament time, if you're on the bubble, a loss to Bentley or any other AHA team is really ****ing. That's why we don't see as much out of Northeastern, BU, BC, and UMass or UNH to play them. And a team like a Brown, who was the 12th place team the last 3 years in ECAC, and 11th place last year, was not on par with the upper echelon teams that I know Bentley wants to schedule. In terms of the west, travel is so ridiculous these days that I doubt we'd ever see Bentley go out west to play North Dakota or Fairbanks, even though that'd be awesome to see.

I've seen the Brown schedule, and Bruno's gotten away from playing the UConns and AICs and Bentleys of the world. They've gone ambitious, and they'll be playing Boston University and Notre Dame this year. But Brown is coming off a 3rd place finish and a tournament upset in which they soundly were the better team against a #6-ranked Yale team. So teams are looking at them to make some noise and schedule what could be a very quality team. Bentley needs to do something similar and schedule non-con games against con opponents (i.e. The Ivy Showcase) and then put it together for a year or look to steadily improve. If Bentley can return to the top of the standings this year and maintain that standard, there's no doubt they can go the route of Mercyhurst, Air Force, RIT, and Canisius by getting some really quality games against big-draw teams.

On a last side note - it was really interesting to see how the Bentley loss last year turned around Brown's season. Until that point, Brown was winless, and they remained winless as a result of the 3rd period comeback down at meehan. The loss woke up the team, who played just over .500 the rest of the way, went into the playoffs, and made some noise. It's also interesting that last year, UMass was on fire until they lost to Bentley, and then they free-fell to no man's land and had a terrible season. So it seems that more teams should want to play Bentley just to get an idea of the litmus test of the season. Apparently it either wakes a team up or causes them to fall apart. You'd think more teams would look at that haha

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

The fans at RPI are very passionate and borderline obscene on their board;
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

On a last side note - it was really interesting to see how the Bentley loss last year turned around Brown's season. Until that point, Brown was winless, and they remained winless as a result of the 3rd period comeback down at meehan. The loss woke up the team, who played just over .500 the rest of the way, went into the playoffs, and made some noise. It's also interesting that last year, UMass was on fire until they lost to Bentley, and then they free-fell to no man's land and had a terrible season. So it seems that more teams should want to play Bentley just to get an idea of the litmus test of the season. Apparently it either wakes a team up or causes them to fall apart. You'd think more teams would look at that haha
                      Equally interesting is how Bentley went 4-12-1 after notching (argueably) the biggest win in program history.
                      Bentley University Hockey
                      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Without a Peer (RPI blog) preview of Bentley http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/06/...y-bentley.html
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          Equally interesting is how Bentley went 4-12-1 after notching (arguably) the biggest win in program history.
                          Yes, exactly. That win should have been a positive catalyst rather than a negative one. A curious end to the season, to be sure.

I do applaud those Hockey East schools that have scheduled Bentley over the past couple years. My thanks to them for giving the 'other' Falcons a chance to play their teams.
                          Chris V
                          Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

It's nice to see a yearly rivalry staying intact with RPI. It looks like the Engineers are more than happy to welcome the Falcons every year. And RPI is a great place to play - I was there for Brown hockey with the ECAC Playoffs (Games 2 and 3), and their arena is a true auditorium. When it's filled, it's very loud, and it evokes the feelings of an old, Slapshot style auditorium.

In terms of the west, travel is so ridiculous these days that I doubt we'd ever see Bentley go out west to play North Dakota or Fairbanks, even though that'd be awesome to see.
                            I attended the tourney at RPI this past Thanksgiving and agree that Houston Fieldhouse is a fine venue for college hockey. And, what a great history there with Ned Harkness and Adam Oates.

As pointed out in our Bentley thread this past season after the Falcons beat the Brown Bears, the Nanooks are the only Div 1 bears team that we have not beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Without a Peer (RPI blog) preview of Bentley http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/06/...y-bentley.html
                              This is largely why RPI fans are great - they have some pretty good knowledge of stats and breakdowns, and the blog really hits the nail on the head.

The one major point is made when saying Bentley has struggled largely since elevating to D1. Unlike RIT, who made the jump and has been hugely successful, Bentley has not had that same luxury. They've had flashes but have never really gotten over that hump. However, int he same breath, this is not a team to be taken lightly.

On the flip side, as slight analysis getting ready for RPI, since I've seen them and they're the known opponent that I have - the Engineers will have some holes to fill but should remain competitive. Without Polacek up front, a lot of offense is lost. But they have D'Amigo still, and he led the US team tot he Junior World Championships gold medal. A strong defense can keep D'Amigo in check, as Brown demonstrated in the playoffs. The only problem is that Bentley's defense - really isn't that strong and historically isn't strong at all (the reputation of any AHA team is great offense, not a lot of defense). I'm personally looking forward to seeing how Kayfis and Bonnett improved in the offseason since they'll now be the leaders and most likely will be the top defensive pairing.

This is one of those non conference games where the Falcons probably could win it decisively or they could get routed. I doubt it'll be close though.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                              X