Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BC vs Wisconsin...for All the Marbles

Originally posted by JMSF#1 View Post
    How is that at all relevant to what I said about Wisconsin fans and Miami fans alike pointing to the games against Yale and Maine. You saw what happened to Miami, I figured you'd be smarter than to repeat the same argument.

You can downplay BC's win over Miami all you want...claiming it was more like a 3-1 win (LMFAO). BC scored a touchdown on the #1 team and #1 defensive team in the country.
    BC completely dominated Miami. Goal differential doesn't matter, a win is a win little man. 2-1, 3-1, etc... All the same when the final horn sounds.

Are you happy? I didn't realize that you needed such a giant pat on your back.
    Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

Originally posted by ganzhimself View Post
      BC completely dominated Miami. Goal differential doesn't matter, a win is a win little man. 2-1, 3-1, etc... All the same when the final horn sounds.
      Problem is, that little bit of rationalization seemed to escape scrutiny when BC's 9-7 victory over Yale was analyzed. That game is being pointed to as BC's supposed 'fatal flaw' and that Wisconsin will roll because of it. But BC handled Vermont a whole lot easier than Wisconsin did, if people are looking for meaningful comparisons. BC and Wisconsin played Vermont about a week apart.
      Chris V
      Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by dvgmacdonald View Post
        I'm totally psyched for this game. I think anybody who claims to know that their team will beat the other is just blowing smoke. These 2 teams are clearly the 2 best in the country, after what UW did to Denver all year & what BC did to Miami last night. Both are deep, both are playing their best hockey of the year, both have solid goaltending, but neither has a keeper who is likely to steal one all by himself. BC is faster, UW is stronger. More of the BC players have experience on this stage, but UW has more veteran leadership. BC plays a more wide-open style. UW wants to win by tipping in longer shots & cleaning up rebounds. I think it's possible that either team could lose this game due to 1 or 2 bad penalties (whether bad penalties or bad calls ). I think either team could be tripped up by a goaltender who isn't right at the top of his game. I think either team could be beaten by a couple of flat footed shifts that let their opponent set up shop in the offensive zone & score.

Both teams have played enough in front of big crowds, in big situations and on bad temporary ice sheets. Both teams have great coaching.

This truly sets up to be one for the ages. I'm hopeful that our Badgers, behind their first Hobey winner can bring home #7. There's a great team standing in their way, though. It's all down to a day and a half of preparation & 60 minutes of hockey. Best of luck to BC, and I hope that it's a good, fair game that's not won or lost on a whistle.
        Well said.

I am only expecting the unexpected at this point. Making strong predictions now to have gloating rights later is just like playing a crapshoot, imho. If you end up being right you can say all your reasoning was sound, but it could just have easily gone the other way and it probably has nothing to do with a given person's analysis.

I honestly think posts on the this thread have made good cases for both teams. Though, I feel the players want a chance to actually let the game play out.

I can't wait (seriously excited here) for the game. It should be fun. Go Wisconsin

Comment

Clearly tomorrow night will be all about past history. In light of which I point out this all important stat:

Wisconsin frozen four appearances- *10. NCAA Championships - 6

Giving UW a 60% chance of winning any given Frozen Four they appear in.

BC frozen four appearances- 18. NCAA Championships- 3

Giving BC a 17% chance of winning any given Frozen Four they appear in.

* technically the NCAA lists UW with 9 appearances coming into this year, which would make it 67%, but let's not quibble.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
            Problem is, that little bit of rationalization seemed to escape scrutiny when BC's 9-7 victory over Yale was analyzed. That game is being pointed to as BC's supposed 'fatal flaw' and that Wisconsin will roll because of it. But BC handled Vermont a whole lot easier than Wisconsin did, if people are looking for meaningful comparisons. BC and Wisconsin played Vermont about a week apart.
            Ok, they gave up a ton of goals in that game, but they scored even more, so what difference does it make? Obviously the offense is there, but can their D and Goaltending make up for it? Sixteen goals in two games is a hell of a lot of points. I see this for what it is, two very evenly matched teams, the goal differential isn't going to be astronomical unless one team falls flat on their face. I see it at two goals at most, one being an empty netter... Although I predicted a similar outcome for the UW/RIT game (5-2, with Wisconsin getting an empty netter), I don't see how this game ends with the goal differential over 2 either way.

PS Miami was overrated. UW should have been the overall #1, not Miami.
            Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

Originally posted by dvgmacdonald View Post
              I'm totally psyched for this game. I think anybody who claims to know that their team will beat the other is just blowing smoke. These 2 teams are clearly the 2 best in the country, after what UW did to Denver all year & what BC did to Miami last night. Both are deep, both are playing their best hockey of the year, both have solid goaltending, but neither has a keeper who is likely to steal one all by himself. BC is faster, UW is stronger. More of the BC players have experience on this stage, but UW has more veteran leadership. BC plays a more wide-open style. UW wants to win by tipping in longer shots & cleaning up rebounds. I think it's possible that either team could lose this game due to 1 or 2 bad penalties (whether bad penalties or bad calls ). I think either team could be tripped up by a goaltender who isn't right at the top of his game. I think either team could be beaten by a couple of flat footed shifts that let their opponent set up shop in the offensive zone & score.

Both teams have played enough in front of big crowds, in big situations and on bad temporary ice sheets. Both teams have great coaching.

This truly sets up to be one for the ages. I'm hopeful that our Badgers, behind their first Hobey winner can bring home #7. There's a great team standing in their way, though. It's all down to a day and a half of preparation & 60 minutes of hockey. Best of luck to BC, and I hope that it's a good, fair game that's not won or lost on a whistle.

Bring it home Bucky.
              Wow, a rational post in this cluster ****! Absolutely dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                Clearly tomorrow night will be all about past history. In light of which I point out this all important stat:

* technically the NCAA lists UW with 9 appearances coming into this year, which would make it 67%, but let's not quibble.
                Not relevant.
                Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                  Not relevant.
                  Of course it's relevant. Everyone knows that past performance is a guarantee of future performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                    Not relevant.
                    Really??..how so??
                    In any sport, the anticipation of what might happen, is almost as important as what actually happens. ~Bob Costas
                    "It's a great day for hockey."~"Badger" Bob Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Rand View Post
                      Really??..how so??
                      BC's performance in, say, Providence in 2000 has no bearing on the game tomorrow. You could also say Bucky was 10 games under .500 in 2002-2003, therefore they will lose tomorrow. Or they went to the FF 6 out of 7 years under Bob Johnson *, so they'll keep up that percentage by making it again next year.

goldy_331 put it in the concise wording you'd find in the small print from a financial institution.

* Edit - his 2nd stint.
                      Last edited by Zudnic; 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM.
                      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        Of course it's relevant. Everyone knows that past performance is a guarantee of future performance.

Exactly. I have no idea how anyone could miss it. That post was literally dripping with relevantness.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

By your "logic" Maine had a 0% chance of winning in '93. How'd that work out?
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Clearly you guys have never seen any of Wisko's posts before... he drips with sarcasm and humor. You guys should go find yours and not come back until you can.

Comment

Wisko, I think these guys need a lesson on how to climb a mountain... but don't do it until after the game.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                                By your "logic" Maine had a 0% chance of winning in '93. How'd that work out?
                                Obviously, Maine didn't win in '93 as it's a mathematical impossibility.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X