Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
    I think this point, more than anything, sums up the DI era. We just had a rookie go from overlooked, to Frozen Four, to "free second round pick". That's pretty amazing and a credit to RIT's system for finding him and attracting him to campus. Who's to say it doesn't happen again next year, or that the whole crop of freshman turn out to dominate AHA play? (Of course, the opposite is possible as well and that's part of the fun!)
    For me, part of the fun is seeing players grow and develop. From time to time we're going to find a diamond in the rough and lose him to a pro contract, but as long as it stays rare I'm okay with it.

Getting players into the pros is a good thing to put in the program's prospectus, but it starts to cause problems with the fans if you start losing multiple players each year.

I have a bad feeling that if Burt has a very good year, he might be gone after 10-11.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      I have a bad feeling that if Burt has a very good year, he might be gone after 10-11.
      Burt will need to bulk up then. His size might work well at the AHA level, and he certainly has heart and won't back down. But he will need to be bigger to be a real factor in the pros IMO.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        Burt will need to bulk up then. His size might work well at the AHA level, and he certainly has heart and won't back down. But he will need to be bigger to be a real factor in the pros IMO.
        I would have said the same thing about Tanev
        RIT Tigers
        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
        Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
          I would have said the same thing about Tanev
          Are you serious? 6-2, 185? Not everyone can be a Zdeno Chara...

Komey, I agree with just about everything your saying, just saying that it will be a question that they will need to answer next year, and I believe they will...
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
            The article that I got a pay figure out of called him a “free second round draft pick”. That is an ironic statement considering the amount they reportable paid him. However, there are a number of players like Chris who played two years of juniors and are undrafted and playing at places like RIT. Could NHL teams find this as a good bargain hunting ground?
            That's not "free" in the monetary sense. They didn't have to "spend" a draft pick to get him.
            But as far as how much they paid to get him, it really isn't that much until he makes the NHL. My guess, as others have noted, is that he'll start in Manitoba and probably pull down the $157k total for the season (salary and bonus), which really isn't too bad. ...Unless, of course, he lights it up in camp , one of their veterans gets injured, and they have no choice but to keep him.
            Teams are certainly on the lookout for late bloomers that are no longer subject to the draft. But a find like Tanev seems to be more the exception than the rule. Most of the better diamonds in the rough from programs like RIT's are more likely to be AHL/ECHL level (or lower) talent initially out of school (Smith, Lambert, Guimond, Ringwald, Kharin, etc...)
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Komey, I agree with just about everything your saying, just saying that it will be a question that they will need to answer next year, and I believe they will...
              6-2, 185 is 20-30 lbs undersized for an average NHL defenseman. I'm sure the Canucks would be happy if Tanev started the day off with a protein shake or two and lived in the weight room. Burt, at 5-10, 160 is even smaller. Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                That's not "free" in the monetary sense. They didn't have to "spend" a draft pick to get him.
                Thanks for pulling a Limbaugh, "for those of you in Rio Linda" moment. Yes I got what they where saying, I was making a joke...

Originally posted by RITTechie View Post
                6-2, 185 is 20-30 lbs undersized for an average NHL defenseman. I'm sure the Canucks would be happy if Tanev started the day off with a protein shake or two and lived in the weight room. Burt, at 5-10, 160 is even smaller. Just saying...
                Yeah but your going to find a lot of that in college, why strength and conditioning coaches get paid the big bucks!!!

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

In the NHL yes. If you look at the depth chart for the Canucks he is in the bottom half in size
                  RIT Tigers

Comment

Answers my question. Really surprised they gave him almost the max for a rookie...
                    "Almost"? Per NHL.com's CBA FAQ :
                    (boldface added for emphasis)

How much can Entry Level players make?

Entry Level players will be subject to a maximum annual salary (plus signing and games played bonuses) of $850,000 for 2005 and 2006 draftees; $875,000 for 2007 and 2008 draftees; $900,000 for 2009 and 2010; and $925,000 for 2011 draftees.

The maximum combined signing bonus will be limited to 10% of the player's maximum annual compensation in any year.

How long will a player be in the Entry Level system?

Players who sign their first contract at age 18-21 are required to sign three-year Entry Level contracts; players age 22-23 will be required to sign two-year deals; and players age 24 will be required to sign a one-year Entry Level contract.
                    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he would fall into the same category, in terms of the CBA, as 2010 draftees... in which case, this IS the max contract value allowable, as well as the max signing bonus value.

...which makes all of this even more surprising.
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Thanks for pulling a Limbaugh, "for those of you in Rio Linda" moment. Yes I got what they where saying, I was making a joke...
                      Oops. I thought that you may have been joking after I posted it. No harm intended.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        "Almost"? Per NHL.com's CBA FAQ :
                        (boldface added for emphasis)

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he would fall into the same category, in terms of the CBA, as 2010 draftees... in which case, this IS the max contract value allowable, as well as the max signing bonus value.

...which makes all of this even more surprising.
                        For whatever reason I was thinking the max was 950k
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

In the NHL yes. If you look at the depth chart for the Canucks he is in the bottom half in size
                          The weight can be easily correctable in the weight room to let him fill out. Can't do much about the 6-2 part.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            The weight can be easily correctable in the weight room to let him fill out. Can't do much about the 6-2 part.
                            He'll be fine no doubt I just thought he looked skinnier than the reported 185
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Quick Google search found the following about size of NHL defensemen...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...y-school_x.htm

6-2, 210lbs in 2003

I am sure that has gone up a little in the last few years. Tanev would not be the biggest guy out there, but he would not be undersize by any means. We are not talking to small to play like a Zach Parise or Brian Gionta here

Any else notice UCONN is having an outdoor game with Sacred Fart? Wonder why they did not invite us

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

Wonder why they did not invite us
                                They must have a basketball game going on and didn't want to worry about hockey taking any parking spaces.
                                -M

Comment

Working...
                                X