How's the 2010 Frozen Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's the 2010 Frozen Four

I was just wondering how the event in Detroit was going? How was the seating, any good? Could you see the game from your seats? Too far away? Just wondering how this "Ford Field idea" was panning out.

Re: How's the 2010 Frozen Four

I am priority 13 and was seated behind the Badger bench. We, and dozens around us left before the first goal. The seats were horrible,too low with too gentle a slope upwards. You might have seen all the empty seats on TV. There were butts in them at 5:00. They all left at 5:05 so we could see the game. Those seats will be empty again tomorrow. I'll be in the second deck. The football field experiment needs a tweak at minimum.
    Otherwise its pretty fun near the arena. Chelios is a great host. Plenty of diversions. Safety is OK.

Comment

I was in the 40th row of 133. We actually had a pretty good view of the ice, but we may as well have been in the upper deck. However, I moved down to row 8 of 135 to talk with some friends during the Wisco-RIT game and could only see about half of the ice, so I feel bad for all of those in the first 10-15 rows who thought they'd actually have decent seats.

I'm p****d that I paid $189 when I could have paid $40 (like some other people I know) and just walked into the $189 seats. I'm sure I'd be less upset if I had seen a hockey game yesterday, but I don't think either of those contests deserve the title of "hockey game" by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd also be less upset if there was any suggestion of a hockey atmosphere in the building. There was absolutely zero energy in that place. Even when the fans tried to get that place energized, their efforts were in vain.

Finally, putting the bands on ice-level playing directly into the boards with a microphone? Seriously? Not that a hockey band can play loud enough to fill a space where a full marching band should be playing, but COME ON! It sounded like canned music being played off an unbalanced cassette tape.

Clearly no one in charge of planning the FFFF had any experience with fans, bands, hockey, or common sense.

Frozen-Four-In-Football-Arena-Experiment = FAIL

Though I won't be taking many happy hockey memories from this weekend, I can hope that this experience will at least ensure that there will not be another football arena FF in the near future (though if the bottom line was big enough, I'm sure the NC$$ will seek out football arenas for every future site)...
      Last edited by RedhawkBandMan; 04-09-2010, 10:37 AM.
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorzinlax View Post
        The seats were horrible,too low with too gentle a slope upwards. You might have seen all the empty seats on TV. There were butts in them at 5:00. They all left at 5:05 so we could see the game. Those seats will be empty again tomorrow.
        Yeah, I had the same problem. With the original setup I was supposed to be center ice row 35. I got reassigned to row 4 of RS36 (behind RIT/Miami) and could only see half the ice. I was the guy in the Alaska jersey. RIT corner crew really kept us entertained and should be applauded for their support. Take a look at ant picture of the whole crowd and you'll see that section of orange. They really earned my support in the future.
        Anybody but Northern

Comment

This is my 18th Frozen Four. This is by far the worst experience, and yes that includes Cincinnati. Ford Field is a great facility, just not for hockey. Terrible views of the game. Very sterile atmosphere; you're so far from the rink that there is no electricity.

Comment

What I've said to people is this: it isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I hope they NEVER do this again!

Comment

My mom and I were wondering why so many empty seats in the lower bowl area.

Anyone know if the Skills Challenge will be on tv? I want to see the two Ohio State representatives, Rachel Davis and Mathieu Picard.
              "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

I enjoyed yesterday.

We were in 132, about 30-some-odd rows up. We could see the ice just fine, though the view was a little flat. That said, if you were placed in either of the riser sections, I'm sure you couldn't see anything.
                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I was in 134 (corner between RIT and Miami sections) row 15. The view from there was actually good. Much better than I expected. I felt awful for the people with high priority numbers that got stuck in the risers....especially behind the bench.

I hope the football field thing is not repeated. Though the availability of tickets sure was nice. If they do this again (please don't), take out the risers behind the bench. Push it up to the stands in the one endzone. Get the steepest seats you can put out in the middle of the field.

The atmosphere really suffered. Like the regionals, a half empty arena feels like a half empty arena. Even if this was a "record" crowd.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

I was in section 105 row 13. Decent sight lines for a football stadium. The first RIT/Wisky game had the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed. After Wisky went up by a TD, combined with the long distance of the fans from the ice, it just felt like a tomb. Completely cold and sterile. The BC/Miami game was better until the BC's speed allowed them to dominate in the second. After that the atmosphere was a dud. I feel bad for the players. I hope this one year experiment with football fields for the FF ends in Detroit. At least tonight and tomorrow will have crowds in Detroit from opening weekend tigers baseball.

I don't think the Miami fans a few rows below me appreciate me chanting get your own cheers after they finally scored and my wife and I high fiving the BC fans after every goal.
                    Last edited by wolverine318; 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
                      I don't think the Miami fans a few rows below me, didn't appreciate me chanting get your own cheers after they finally scored and my wife and I high fiving the BC fans after every goal.
                      So, when is UM's yearly hockey chant-related royalty payment to Cornell due?
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

The check is in the mail

Comment

It says something that even the fans that had good seats, and could see the game well, come to the conclusion that they should never hold it in a football stadium again.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Don't forget that it was originally intended to be even worse, with the rink at midfield. Imagine how dead THAT would have been, and how much worse the sightlines would be too.
                            Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Sorry...can't post now...too busy being mugged.

Comment

Working...
                              X